Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 09:39 PM

12 posts, read 21,001 times

Advertisements

To those who moved out of Hawaii, what made you ultimately leave? It's amazing here but as a single guy in his late 20s, I have been challenged more than ever to meet women here in Kona. And the cost of living is starting to take a toll on me even though I make good money. I was also aware of the high cost of living before moving here. For those reasons, I am probably going to leave. I met people who all pretty much moved to the islands with their girlfriend/boyfriend or husband/wife. Those who moved here single are still single for the most part. Just curious and want to know what made you leave Hawaii if you did. If you didn't and you're thinking about leaving, what would be the reason?

Last edited by letsrocit808; 04-30-2019 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 09:50 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,784,712 times
I am several decades past the "dating scene" but having a daughter near your age and hearing from her and also about all her friends, almost all dating is now done through "dating apps". A friend of mine (50 y/o) living on Oahu found himself unexpectedly single after a divorce and lamented similarly to you, however after downloading some apps was dating 4-5 women per week. Mind you, these are "dating apps" I'm talking about- not "hookup apps". Signs of the times.

I've never considered leaving Hawaii, but the the things that do make me ponder why I might is the oppressive taxes, inefficient/excessive/corrupt government, single-party political system, and anti-small business regulations/policies.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:38 PM

17 posts, read 19,443 times
The cost is staggering to live here. Rents and food being based on section 8 and EBT, not to mention the tourist dollars these islands are hungry for, is enough to break one's spirit more often than you might think.

Old 04-30-2019, 11:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,732,662 times
If you want staggering costs try San Francisco

If you want to date a lot of women - don’t live on an outer island with a limited population. The math won’t work.

Just saying.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:47 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
Well, a lot of the folks living in Kona are snow birds or "Living In Paradise" (insert dancing on rainbows pink unicorns here) so the population can be pretty transitory. Probably not a characteristic you're looking for in a girlfriend.

Of the folks who live here, possibly the girls you may want to meet may not be taking you seriously until you've lived here awhile. Too many people come and go for the folks who live here to invest very much into the new people until they've stuck around for awhile until it can be determined if their gonna be flighty or not.

A friend of mine is currently selling her house and probably moving to the mainland to be near better health care. She may change her mind and stay here near her friends since she doesn't want to move. We will see what happens in the next few months. She does need a much smaller house and one closer to town, but we don't know if it will be a mainland town or a Hawaii town.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:06 PM

"If you want to date a lot of women - don’t live on an outer island with a limited population. The math won’t work."

I've visited small towns all over the country, but never have I seen the small-population and isolation effect of what you are referring to more textbook than Alaska. There are towns where there aren't any single, legal-age, childless women. It's barely better here. When my daughter was in High School here in Hawaii some of her schoolmates were pregnant with their second kids as sophomores and juniors.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:52 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,140,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
"If you want to date a lot of women - don’t live on an outer island with a limited population. The math won’t work."

I've visited small towns all over the country, but never have I seen the small-population and isolation effect of what you are referring to more textbook than Alaska. There are towns where there aren't any single, legal-age, childless women. It's barely better here. When my daughter was in High School here in Hawaii some of her schoolmates were pregnant with their second kids as sophomores and juniors.
I spent my teen years in an Alaska bush fishing village. The joke was, you don't get a girlfriend, you get a turn.

It's not a pc statement in today's climate, but sadly it wasn't far from the truth.

Old 05-02-2019, 12:06 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
On the flip side, a friend of mine was mentioning her chances of meeting men in Alaska and she said "the odds are good, but the goods are odd".

Although, does anyone really need to sift through hundreds to find 'the one'? There's probably quite a few of 'the one' when it comes down to it.

I'd guess it's harder to find mates in Hawaii when one factors into the equation that a lot of folks want to stay in Hawaii. For a lot of the folks who grew up here, have their relatives here and want to stay here, dating someone from somewhere else is pretty dangerous since more than likely, those folks not-from-around-here are going to want to leave at some point.

Family is really important to many island folks. Generally, a local person dating is not going to want to ever have to make a choice between leaving with a boyfriend/girlfriend and having their family near by.

Old 05-02-2019, 09:32 PM

"The joke was, you don't get a girlfriend, you get a turn."

When I lived there it had already become more PC:

"You don't lose your girlfriend, you lose your turn in line."

Old 05-03-2019, 07:41 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,529,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
I am several decades past the "dating scene" but having a daughter near your age and hearing from her and also about all her friends, almost all dating is now done through "dating apps". A friend of mine (50 y/o) living on Oahu found himself unexpectedly single after a divorce and lamented similarly to you, however after downloading some apps was dating 4-5 women per week. Mind you, these are "dating apps" I'm talking about- not "hookup apps". Signs of the times.

I've never considered leaving Hawaii, but the the things that do make me ponder why I might is the oppressive taxes, inefficient/excessive/corrupt government, single-party political system, and anti-small business regulations/policies.
10-4!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island