Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 07:29 PM

129 posts, read 118,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Why would you need to sell your handguns? When we moved to Hawaii we flew Delta and I unloaded my handgun and threw it in my checked luggage along with my magazines. When we moved back to the mainland, we flew Hawaiian and their rules were a little different. I had to secure my pistol in a box that was secured and locked. I bought a $15 metal money box. The ammo was a different story. I needed to place it in it’s original packaging. I ended up having to trash 50 rounds of law enforcement ammo. I was suppose to notify HPD within three days after our arrival that I had a handgun, but never got around to it. It’s not really any of their business. I have an LEOSA HR-218 card which is a federal law that allows active and retired law enforcement to carry conceal in all 50 states. The only restrictions would be state properties like schools and other public areas (libraries, state parks, and so on) owned by the state. Then I would of had to apply for a state carry conceal permit. Not once had my pistol ever leave my house because I felt no need to.
Neither my wife nor I grew up with guns, so we didn’t have a dog in the 2A fight, so to speak. But she spent the last decade of her career as a high-level administrative assistant in the Portland Police Bureau, and we have many friends in law enforcement. After much consideration, and in light of the deteriorating conditions in Portland (pre-pandemic, I worked in an increasingly unsafe area of downtown and got to work before dawn in the winter months), we decided it was wise to buy handguns, take a gun-safety class, and get concealed-carry permits. We did so, but then the pandemic hit, and we didn’t feel safe going to gun ranges until we were vaxxed. Then ammunition became difficult to find, and expensive when it could be found. Long story short: we never became invested in gun ownership, and I never acquired the skills I wanted to acquire. Now we’re moving to a place where guns aren’t a thing like they are Oregon, there’s a low level of violent crime, and there doesn’t seem to be a place to practice. I don’t see a compelling reason to keep them. It’s not a matter of politics or principle, but of practicality.

Old 09-01-2021, 08:29 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
Neither my wife nor I grew up with guns, so we didn’t have a dog in the 2A fight, so to speak. But she spent the last decade of her career as a high-level administrative assistant in the Portland Police Bureau, and we have many friends in law enforcement. After much consideration, and in light of the deteriorating conditions in Portland (pre-pandemic, I worked in an increasingly unsafe area of downtown and got to work before dawn in the winter months), we decided it was wise to buy handguns, take a gun-safety class, and get concealed-carry permits. We did so, but then the pandemic hit, and we didn’t feel safe going to gun ranges until we were vaxxed. Then ammunition became difficult to find, and expensive when it could be found. Long story short: we never became invested in gun ownership, and I never acquired the skills I wanted to acquire. Now we’re moving to a place where guns aren’t a thing like they are Oregon, there’s a low level of violent crime, and there doesn’t seem to be a place to practice. I don’t see a compelling reason to keep them. It’s not a matter of politics or principle, but of practicality.
Nothing about what you detail here, or about violent crime in Hawaii (lack of it is notable) supports you having a firearm in Hawaii.

No need for personal protection. Not agriculturally involved. No sporting interests.

Why even consider it?

Old 09-01-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Nothing about what you detail here, or about violent crime in Hawaii (lack of it is notable) supports you having a firearm in Hawaii.

No need for personal protection. Not agriculturally involved. No sporting interests.

Why even consider it?
Well, that’s why I posted the question — to see if there are reasons I should consider it. It sounds like there aren’t. Thanks for your feedback.

Old 09-01-2021, 10:15 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Well, that’s why I posted the question — to see if there are reasons I should consider it. It sounds like there aren’t. Thanks for your feedback.
Sell the guns - use the proceeds for a good alarm system with cameras and floodlights. They aren't as much money as you might think. Thieves have no desire to deal with that - they move on to the next victim.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Sell the guns - use the proceeds for a good alarm system with cameras and floodlights. They aren't as much money as you might think. Thieves have no desire to deal with that - they move on to the next victim.
Great suggestion. I’ll have no trouble selling them, and I know it’s a good idea to make one’s house less desirable to thieves than other houses in the neighborhood. When we bought the guns, it was a long-considered safety precaution based on discussions with our friends in law enforcement and elsewhere. You’d be surprised how many Liberals here have guns but don’t talk about it unless you broach the subject first. But in the last couple years, a real paranoia has set in on much of the Mainland over the political divide and the fear of potential violence, which arguably increases that potential. It’s disturbing, and it’s another thing we hope to get away from. We have a lot of friends in Hawaii, most of whom have lived there all their lives, and they’re on both sides of the political spectrum. We make it clear that we don’t want to argue politics with those who are on the other end of the spectrum from us, and they’re cool with that.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:09 AM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
[quote=Buckeye77;61820344]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post

lol - you say that like it's a bad thing...
Actually, I was stating a simple fact. It was not a pejorative comment. If you are unable to comprehend
that, you have a lot to learn about Hawai'i.

Well, to be honest, maybe a bit pejorative. From my perspective, perhaps like when you meet someone
in Portland who announces to you they are from Seattle, however in Hawai'i it tends to be rather more
derisive. You can take the time to figure out why...or not.

Old 09-02-2021, 12:36 AM

451 posts, read 411,511 times
[quote=Lapaki;61820839]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Monkey View Post

I’m not someone who likes to stand out in a crowd, so I’m fine with that. Hopefully our paths will never cross. You know nothing about me, so I’m guessing you’re just tired of people moving to Hawaii. My wife was born and raised on the BI, her grandparents came over in the late 1800s, we have family and friends there, we’ve been visiting them for over 20 years since she moved to Oregon, and they’ve all accepted me, so I think I know a little something about the people and culture. But if you don’t have anything positive to add to my threads, I’ll put you on my ignore list. Have a nice day.

I am curious. Did you ask your wife's relatives about the need of bringing handguns to the BI, prior to posting on this forum? Of course, bringing a handgun is your right, however I am curious what was their response, if you asked. If you have relatives on the BI that you indicate accept you (and I would think that acceptance is reciprocal), why is it necessary to ask the opinion of a message board about bringing
handguns? Certainly, they would best know.

Lastly, a bit of advice. Take it or leave it. I honestly don't care. Drop Portland. Your posts on this thread seem to be trying or attempting to compare or equate Portland to what you might or could expect on the BI. It's a waste of time. IMHO, fifty years ago, PDX was a hole. and it hasn't changed. I guess we all have our experiences.

The fact you traveled here off and on for the last twenty or so years is absolutely meaningless. I frankly don't think you learned squat on your travels here. It is not a substitute for actually living here. I think you and your wife have a lot to learn if you expect to make a successful, fulfilling life here.

Old 09-02-2021, 02:20 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
You can get I Target. It’s not the same as shooting live ammunition, but will save you tons of money in purchasing ammunition and you can use it anywhere. No range is necessary.

With that said, we lived in Nanawale and Hawaiian Shores. There are some strange people who creep around here and there, but I never felt I needed a firearm, especially when out and about. I always felt pretty safe.

All I’m saying is if you want to keep it, then bring it or leave it in storage. If you bring it you are suppose to notify HPD. I didn’t mortify them for me, it wasn’t their business.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 09-02-2021 at 02:33 AM..

Old 09-02-2021, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Call Z sports in Hilo. The guy who runs it teaches handgun proficiency and likes to talk story. There was a private range but through details I no longer recall it's no longer open (as far as I know). If anybody knows the shooting options, he does.

I would caution against getting rid of your guns if you think you may ever want to own guns again. Legally importing them WITH YOU is really easy, but buying them once you get here is expensive, time consuming, and really a silly process because only law abiding citizens go through the process. Criminals get them off the black market. Ammo here is expensive and some calibers are frequently sold out. Only one mainland ammo seller ships to Hawaii, and the shipping costs more than the ammo does. So if you decide to bring your weapons, plan on bringing however much ammo you can legally bring with you. (Alaska Airlines allows 50 pounds per passenger, most other airlines allow 11).

FWIW, here in Orchidland (other side of highway from HPP) hearing gunshots is practically a daily occurrence. A lot of people put down livestock, trapped pigs, etc, as this is all AG land. If somebody was sighting in their weapon at the back of their property nobody would know the difference.
Thanks, Terracore. My wife spent her childhood on a ranch, and we considered getting a piece of property out in the country, because she loved that lifestyle. Ultimately, we decided that we're too old to take on the responsibilities that go with that, and it's better to be near the amenities of Hilo. Although the adults on the ranch had guns, for the reasons you mention, she never liked them, never learned to shoot, and didn't consider owning one until her years with the Portland Police Bureau.

I seem to have struck a nerve with certain people on this forum merely by asking my question. I understand that it's a hot-button issue. I have talked with our BI friends and relatives, and their opinions vary. Mostly, it boils down to where we plan to live. Guns aren't necessarily a bad idea if one lives on AG land or in neighborhoods prone to break-ins, but we plan to avoid such areas. The reason I asked here was to get the perspectives of people who moved to Hawaii from elsewhere, and if there are things we should know about bringing guns that lifelong residents wouldn't necessarily know. Right now, we're leaning toward selling them. Neither of us has an interest in them from a hobby standpoint, and the likelihood of our needing them in a self-defense situation is minimal compared to here. I do appreciate those of you who have given me information without judging me for asking.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
You can get I Target. It’s not the same as shooting live ammunition, but will save you tons of money in purchasing ammunition and you can use it anywhere. No range is necessary.

With that said, we lived in Nanawale and Hawaiian Shores. There are some strange people who creep around here and there, but I never felt I needed a firearm, especially when out and about. I always felt pretty safe.

All I’m saying is if you want to keep it, then bring it or leave it in storage. If you bring it you are suppose to notify HPD. I didn’t mortify them for me, it wasn’t their business.
Thanks for the info. We probably need them here in Oregon less than we think we do, but my wife's years with the Portland Police Bureau convinced us that they're a good thing to have. It sounds like there's really no need to have them in Hawaii, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island