Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 02:31 AM

17 posts, read 53,047 times

Advertisements

Aloha. This is my first post! My wife and I dream of eventually settling in Kailua Kona. I am an X Ray Tech in San Francisco and she is a Human Resource Administrator at Stanford. We both are obsessed with the Big Island. I've been to the BI three times and her twice. We loved Maui and Oahu but our hearts long for Kona, Hilo, Kohala, Hapuna Beach and everywhere else on the Big Island. We even want to have our ashes spread in A-bay! As morbid as that sounds, it is a true testament of our experiences on the Big Island. We always dream out loud about moving there but we remind ourselves of our reality and dismiss it as a pipe dream. We both make good money hear in the bay area, but would that translate well in Hawaii? I know health care is criticized as poor in Hawaii so I feel as if most X Ray Tech jobs would not be vacant. Anybody have any incite on this? Anyways, I will keep obsessing for now. Mahalo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:30 AM

443 posts, read 2,127,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelryng View Post
Aloha. This is my first post! My wife and I dream of eventually settling in Kailua Kona. I am an X Ray Tech in San Francisco and she is a Human Resource Administrator at Stanford. We both are obsessed with the Big Island. I've been to the BI three times and her twice. We loved Maui and Oahu but our hearts long for Kona, Hilo, Kohala, Hapuna Beach and everywhere else on the Big Island. We even want to have our ashes spread in A-bay! As morbid as that sounds, it is a true testament of our experiences on the Big Island. We always dream out loud about moving there but we remind ourselves of our reality and dismiss it as a pipe dream. We both make good money hear in the bay area, but would that translate well in Hawaii? I know health care is criticized as poor in Hawaii so I feel as if most X Ray Tech jobs would not be vacant. Anybody have any incite on this? Anyways, I will keep obsessing for now. Mahalo.
I know your not a nurse but you could check this site, they have info for all states.
Nursing

Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,567,770 times
The local newspaper; Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii > Front has reported that today, July 14, Kona community hospital will be cutting 54 employees to help lower $62 million statewide shortfall of the fiscal year that started July 1. Our health system always seems to be in crisis.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 PM

Thanks folks. I appreciate the info.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 PM

8 posts, read 16,911 times
Default Aloha!

Hawaii Radiology - Big Island of Hawaii
I know this is a really late answer but ,I know you can get work here on the Big Isle in the med/field. If youre here already, Welcome, if not hope all is well

Old 12-09-2011, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,318 times
oh, congratulations to you and your family have to Kailua Kona

Old 12-12-2011, 09:58 AM

Hey bigislegal and xaydunghapho! Thanx for the replies. Since the time I originally started this thread, my wife gave birth to my second child and we have a third on the way. All my dreams of moving to the BI have been derailed...permanantly. Finding an Xray job in my home of the Bay Area, is no easy task and right now I am straddling the job I have with all my might. I can only imagine how hard it would be for Xray tech in Hawaii, let alone the BI. I've come to grips with the fact I'll never move here and I am okay with that I love it there... from Kapoho to Kona...it's truly the best. I will be back to visit when we can afford it. I gotta take advantage of kids flying free under age 2! Anyways, tell Madam Pele I'm miss her. BI for life!!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,862,202 times
There are probably less than a dozen places on the Big Island that can even use an X-ray tech, if you wanted you could put your resume in with each of them. There are about three big (well, relative to the size of the rest of them, but not "big" by mainland or Oahu standards) hospitals. Hilo hospital, one in Waimea and at least one in Kailua. There are a half dozen smaller clinic sized medical centers scattered around the island. Do doctors offices use X-ray techs? That would increase the possibility of X-ray tech positions on the island. (Note: I'm pretty sure there are specific differences between the term "hospital" and "medical center" etc., but I don't know what they are so I just use the terms inter-changeable to indicate places where folks practice AMA type medicine.)

The population of the entire Big Island is around 150,000 people and the population of the Bay area is probably somewhere around SEVEN MILLION. So, your chance for jobs will be much higher where you are, but you could still put out your resume just in case.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:59 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,573,774 times
Hey, rebelryng, don't say "I'll never move there". Your dream has just been put off for a few (well maybe 18) years. You can keep aloha alive in your heart.

I bet you can find some Hawaiian restaurants in your area, and maybe things like hula lessons or ukulele lessons. Those are the kinds of things we used to do while we were waiting our opportunity to move. Granted we had only a seven year plan, but at least we knew that we would be moving eventually and were able to find some Hawaiiana in Colorado.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:21 PM

8 posts, read 16,911 times
Dearest Rebelrying,Congrats on your little blessings!! Its meant to be where youre at right now, and yes , just come on vacation-Hawaii will always be there for you ,Mele Kalikimaka!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island