Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:50 PM

9 posts, read 43,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
He probably had a military haircut, too. Military is usually classed in the "new" category and they will get discriminated against because they are military not because of their color.

Hawaii has a huge bias towards "community" and that is usually defined in terms of families and is generational in scope. Military folks come in for two to four years and then leave. They barely have time to get to know folks and then they leave again. It is really hard for folks who don't leave to get to know all these new folks all the time and then just when the friendship is solid to have them leave. A lot of the bias against newcomers is that if you make friends with them, you will be heartbroken when they leave and you never see them again. I can't even list all the friends I've had that have gone back to the mainland never to be heard from again. Now that there is the internet and inexpensive cell phones that is changing but we still have the bias towards not getting too friendly with folks that are going to leave.
I will take the blame for putting High expectations on this adventure to Hawaii.... to have it quickly dashed out in a matter of days... maybe if they lived the lifestyle we do and be a bit more understanding there would not be a need to be nasty.... I dont normally get angry, but when it is done to my children I get fierce...that incident at the beach was a family... as there was women and children there with their spouses... there was no excuses for that behavior...it was 2 weeks before christmas and a hard enough time without that stuff... they need to realize as well, alot of us do not ask to come here....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 05:13 PM

242 posts, read 1,183,556 times
Default Moving to Pahoa= Local Prejudice?

I lived on the island of Maui for 21 years, no prejudice there. But now days the hotel occupancy is like 40% and with the economy people are leaving Maui, because Jobs are being cut. Maui relies on the tourist industry and it just aint happening anymore. Most of the Hawaiians which are mixed with other races had to leave the ISLANDS years ago, most of the mixed Hawaiians ( be rare to find full blood Hawaiians. Have gone to LAS VEGAS, California and Oregon and some in Texas, and maybe Florida. RENTALS ARE TOO HIGH, they have tripled and FOOD PRICES are too EXPENSIVE. Move to FLORIDA. CHeaper and maybe you might find a job there. Wages were always Higher in Hawaii, compared to the mainland states. My last job paid me $8 an hour but when it got slow I was working part time and that hurt badly back in 1992, I left in Nov. 1999. and well here in the states they have never got the min wage UP TO $8 an hour. GO TO FLORIDA you be better off.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:20 PM

Default Moving to Pahoa : LocalPrejudice

Oh, I forgot to tell you, when people look at LOCALS they think the LOCALS are HAWAIIAN, they are not. On Maui, there are it seems more PHILLIPINOES that came over from the Phillipines and they think the toursit think they are Hawaiians. And the State of Hawaii, is a melting pot of all nationalities. Over there, when I was there, no one descriminated against no one. That people were FRIENDLY there, and I met mostly caucasian people in work and as friends, few were Phillipinos and Tongans. Tongans are from the south pacific islands of Tonga. People hought they are Hawaiians, No, they are Polynesians who GREW up the OLD FASHIONED way more so than the Part race of Hawaiian People. I had some friends who were with Hawaiian blood but never full blood. I loved it there, because we all , all my friends and friends at work, displayed the ALOHA SPIRIT.

Old 11-22-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Moving to Pahoa= Local Prejudice

A someone emailed me but I do not know how to contact you since you didnt leave a message.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 5,205 times
I'm a little late for this party, but I will add that my experience is so different. I'm white and started visiting the island in the early 1980's and found that not only was I accepted by the island people, I was treated with much aloha - more than I had ever known on the mainland. On every visit, somehow whether in a store or whatnot, I would be making friends so easily and felt a warmth and kindness unknown in California. I finally moved to the Big Island last year and the love feast continues. BTW, I am blonde and blue eyed. Here's what I think: Whatever face you give out that is what you will get back. I was once in a tourist shop on Maui and watched a Haole couple come in the store and the Hawaiian sales person mirrored them completely. She had been very nice to me, but was not so nice to the tourist - but they were not so nice to her. After they left, I asked her if she did that on purpose and she laughed and said that she always did. The job situation is different in that there are not enough and people, rightly, feel that those who have been here should have first shot at them. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:16 PM

2,265 posts, read 4,094,737 times
ArmyVet40-
Amazing! My husband was in the Army almost 23 years and we were stationed in Hawaii twice. He is an Alabama White boy through and through and remarkably he has NEVER run into the situations that your husband has (neither did my sons -one looks very white while the other looks Italian).

My boys made it through Leileihua unscathed and intact (they had many more issues on Post from the thuggish children then they EVER had from the local kids off Post).

I am Hawaiian- although I rarely went with my husband when he ran errands. BTW- I was (and still am) asked where I am from since I do not 'sound local'.

We are currently visiting his family in Texas and it is absolutely MISERASBLE! My Mother In Law has taken to introducing me as her "Hawaiian daughter in law" everywhere we go (even in Wal Mart) because apparently it makes a huge difference that I am not Mexican. Forget that I am far better educated and well spoken than the majority of the yahoos around here (and I have ALL of my teeth!!!!)- but if I do not have to buy my tan (tons of leathery White people who are far darker than myself) then I am looked down upon.

See how very easy it is to denigrate an entire State with just a few experiences? All that is needed is to 'forget' to mention the truly wonderful people that I have met while here and allow the attitudes of the loudest and most ignorant to color my view of Texas.

Hawaii may not be for you but it IS for a great many. If my very White Alabama boy were treated as you claim White people are treated then he would never have chosen to retire here. We could have purchased a mansion with at least 50 acres elsewhere (especially in this part of Texas!) but he felt that Hawaii was the place that he has felt the most at home since joining the Army at the age of eighteen.

Every person/family has a different experience- but rarely is that entire experience negative.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:35 AM

202 posts, read 1,072,315 times
come on now this post is from 2008

Old 01-19-2010, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 10,513 times
Default Discrimination sadly is all over the world; I've been there done that lived it, but it all comes down to PEACE

I am of Hawaiian decent, 100% local born. I have travelled, served 8 wonderful active U.S. Navy years, then completed 4 years Naval Reserve, have NO regrets and have learned so much from all walks of life & genuinely can say I've made so many friends through it all. Over the years, we have lost connections as many had reorders to other parts of the nation/country, but I have loved and respected each human race whom I've connected which became a significant life experience (& still is).

I lived Upstate NY the Big Apple for 4-1/2 years & believe me, this is a place to have had encountered as such, being labeled with anything in the book. People deliberately spat in front of me while I walked; called me unacceptable names. The ironic thing is, I didn't do anthing nor say a word, nor stared at them. While making so many wonderful close knit friends, I call my far and away Ohana (family) with Italians and Irish, they gave me life lessons with such situations to deal with, and to all whom I am dearly grateful to.

While living in a little town called "Saugerties", I became an Auditor for a chain store once known as "Grand Union", which has changed, from what my dear family of friends in NY Have shared with me. I travelled all of NY and my learning tools with what my dear friends have shared with me helped with getting around these obstacles/challenges.

4-1/2 Years later, I then joined the U.S. Navy in Albany, NY and unregrettably, made so many friends thereafter, even having experienced being unaccepted by many at the start of which we all then connected and became dear friends after getting over such hurdles and getting to know each other's true self and colors; being labeled became no longer.

Yes, I too have experienced feeling that "unacceptable" word everyone knows all to well; discrimination. But it all comes down to one thing. No matter who/where you encounter or where you live, ignore the person(s) with bad vibe/energy (trash in; trash out) is what I do for self. For me, however, I still love & respect everyone; no matter, of all nations, remembering they don't control my life; "I" do and it's how I deal with these challenges/obstacles that will result in my way of life, here or anywhere. Remember, they don't control your life; "YOU" do, & it's how you deal with challenges/obstacles that will result in your way of life here, or anywhere. While I am of 100% Hawaiian born/raised, sadly, I still experience the same from locals, unfortunately. But I deal with it with (trash in; trash out) for self; ignoring the situation.

Everyone has reasons for why/what their energy is communicated socially; and rightfully so, everyone has that right. Unfortunately, whenever it comes down to worldly natural disasters resulting humanity throughout the world, this unacceptable word labeled "discimination" becomes no longer & everyone's true colors of care, love & respect for one another is genuinely understood.

Our world is experiencing so much disasters all over. I am very grateful to each & everyday I wake next morning, and yet, I ache for millions of lives who are suffering or whose lives were lost due to natural world disasters occurring as we are living our lives from harm.

I love and accept everyone of all walks of life, no matter the situation, no matter what day, & have learned to deal with it. I am also very grateful my U.S. Navy years has given me life lessions with learning/walking together with races of all walks of life, which helped me.

Before I leave this world, I hope & pray everyone will realize before too long, to accept, love, understand, respect & care for one antoher like brothers/sisters; like family, as we have only one life to live & my goal is to make it the best I can even with challenges/obstacles.

I sugguest before returning to where you find comfort best at as you say you do, not make a decision based on unacceptable encounters with not being accepted socially, but to appreciate outside the true realm of negative existence; where you live with all the beauty there is before you.

~Love & Peace to Eacy and Everyone~

Aloha & Malama Pono (Take Care)
Retired Pro-Surfergal1958

Old 01-19-2010, 04:10 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,572,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergal1958 View Post
I am of Hawaiian decent, 100% local born. I have travelled, served 8 wonderful years of U.S. Navy then 4 years of Reserve time, have NO regrets and have learned so much from all walks of life & genuinely can say I've made so many friends through it all. Over the years, I've lost connections with many along the way, but I loved and respected every human race whom I've connected which became a significant part of my life.

I moved to upstate New York, lived there for 4-1/2 years, & experienced being labeled with anything but being white. People even spat in front of me while I walked and called me unacceptable names. The ironic thing is I didn't even do anything nor say anything. I learned to ignore situations as such. While in Upstate New York, I had made so many friends with Italians and Irish whom all gave me life lessons with such situations, and to all whom I am dearly grateful to.

While living in a little town called Saugerties, I became an Auditor for a chain store once called "Grand Union", which has changed, from what my family of friends in New York have shared with me. I traveled all over New York and my learning tools with what my dear friends had shared with me was a way to getting around these obstacles.

I then joined the U.S. Navy in Albany, NY and made so many friends thereafter, even having experienced being unaceppted by many at the start, after getting to know each other's true self and more of each other, being labeled became no longer.

Yes, I too have experienced feeling that "unacceptable" word everyone knows to well; "discrimination". But it all comes down to one thing; no matter who you encounter or where you live, ignore the person(s) you've encountered with bad energy (trash in; trash out). For me, I still love and respect everyone; no matter, of all nations. Remember, they don't control your life; "YOU" do and it's how/what you deal with challenges/obstacles that will result in your way of life here or anywhere. Even though I'm local from Hawaii, I too experience the same, unfortunately. But I deal with it with (trash in; trash out) for self; ignore the situation, and move on. My life is not worth living to be accepted by every human race, but to love everyone equally and respect everyone equally; no matter. Staying in the moment of trying to be accepted and trying to find reasons why, is not worth all the energy, nor should it be.

Everyone has reasons for why/what their energy puts out socially; and rightfully so, everyone has that right. Unfortunately, whenever it comes down to wordly natural disasters that result affecting humanity throughout the world, sadly, this unacceptable word labeled "discrimination" becomes no longer & everyones true colors of care, love and respect for one another is genuinely understood, then. This is sad, so what I do, even though I am local 100% Hawaiian grown and beleive me, I too still experience the feeling of being rejected, it's garbage in and garbage out, which is what I do for "self".

Our world is experiencing so much disasters all over the world. I am very grateful to each and every day I wake to the next morning, and yet realize their are so many lives suffering.

I love and accept everyone of all walks of life, no matter the situation, no matter what day, and have learned to deal with it. I am so very grateful my U.S. Navy was a guide for lessons with learning/walking together with races of all walks of life which also helped me to grow as a person.

Before I leave this world, I hope and pray everyone will realize before too long, to accept, love, understand, respect and care for one another like sisters/brothers; as family, as we have only one goal in life and to make it the best you can with challenges/obstacles. I suggest you not make your decision based on unacceptable encounters of not being accepted as a person, but to appreciate where you live with all the beauty there is before you.

Love and peace to each and everyone.

Aloha & Malama Pono (take care)
Retired Pro-Surfergal

I cannot give you enough rep points let alone enough respect for this post!

I do hope to meet you when I join my wife in Hilo soon.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 PM

737 posts, read 1,455,190 times
For what it's worth...

My girlfriends co-worker, who is mid 40's and white, has been living on the Big Island with her husband who is also white, for 10 years. They are the NICEST most polite, friendly transplants you'll ever meet. They had their windows smashed at Champagne Pond in Kapoho 5 years ago. For no reason. Then(this is absolutely ridiculous) they parked near Mau Mai beach(by the Mauna Kea resort) and came back after a day at the beach to find about a 5 gallon bucket of sand spread on their hood with "haole" written in sand! No reason. They even drive an old beat up jeep. Why not just key the car? That stuff is stupid and happens. Just a word of warning. There IS racism towards white people here. You may live here for your whole life and never see it, or you may be a victim of it twice in 10 years. I've said before, my girlfriend was born and raised here and is Hawaiian/haole. Her whole family is at least 50% and they talk openly about newcomers and haole this and that. Just my two cents. Yes, VISIT first. If you like and end up coming out here, welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island