Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:16 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by awscromwell View Post
Hi, I am moving to Hawaii with my 3 dogs and my boyfriend. I don't want to put the dogs into cargo on a commercial flight. I can't figure out if the quarantine people REQUIRE the animals to be in cargo or if I can find either a charter flight or a commercial flight and take the dogs on board. I am not ready to go Feb 26 but would really be grateful to you for any information. Thank you very much! What company did you use to charter a plane? Will the Hawaii Agriculture Quarantine people accept your pets coming in on board??

_Abigail
The OP's post was from 2009, so they have already left.

There is no way to bring your pets in the cabin on a commercial flight to Hawaii.

The choices are the expensive charter option, or through the airline. Be advised whether you fly charter or commerical, the import requirements remain the same...you must have the Hawaii DoA permit in hand upon arrival for each animal, their health certificates and all the rabies and titer tests already done. Be sure to check with the DoA web site, they have a pdf file sorted by the pet microchip number. This confirms their receipt of the titer test from KSU. ANY missing step will result in a quarantine of your dogs. The Hawaii DoA site has a complete checklist. Read it carefully. Then read it again. Have your boyfriend read it. Then read it again. It's a bit complex but it can be done. I brought my dogs over from the mainland without issue this month.

Be aware each airline has breed and temperature/time of year restrictions for flying your pets. Check their web site. If you do fly commercial, be sure to make reservations for your pets at the time you reserve your seats (don't use Orbitz or Expedia, call the airline directly).

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:54 PM

4 posts, read 10,907 times
Hi, Thanks for the response.

Do all charter flights allow dogs or are there only one or two? Can you tell me the names of the charter companies that allow dogs inside the cabin?

What about cruises? I know the Queen Mary 2 allows dogs but it only goes to Europe. Any cruises or ships go to Hawaii and allow dogs? We can totally rough it!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:57 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
If you have enough money, probably any private, charter flight will take your pets inside the cabin.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:16 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,601,206 times
Quote:
Hi, Thanks for the response.

Do all charter flights allow dogs or are there only one or two? Can you tell me the names of the charter companies that allow dogs inside the cabin?

What about cruises? I know the Queen Mary 2 allows dogs but it only goes to Europe. Any cruises or ships go to Hawaii and allow dogs? We can totally rough it!
I don't believe there are any cruises that go from the Mainland to Hawaii. It's 2,500 miles of open ocean until landfall...that's a long time to make the journey. The cargo ships take at least ten days to reach Hawaii from the west coast ports.

You would have to check with the charter companies, but it's very expensive...unless you split the cost ten ways, expect it to be tens of thousands of dollars.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Once a year there is a "repositioning" cruise where you can take a cruise ship from the mainland and get off in Hawaii. All the rest of them either stay within the Hawaiian waters or start and stop on the mainland and don't let you off the ship. I don't know if they allow pets, either.

There are occasionally special (and expensive) charter flights which allow pets in the cabin, although I think they still have to stay in their crates. I don't haven't used it or know anything about it other than they sort of advertise here occasionally. However, I got the impression it wasn't a constantly available thing, either.

It's only for five hours. You give your dog to the cargo folks and get on the plane. Your pet rides in the crate whether it is in the cabin or in the cargo hold either way, I think, even if you do find one of those expensive charter flights. If you've accustomed your pet to the travel crate before the trip, they are in an environment which they consider "home" so they are good. You get to fritter and fuss thinking they are upset while they are sleeping through the whole boring flight.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:02 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
A charter flight is purchased by the person doing the chartering, so what is and isn;t allowed is based on the charter. There are two charter flights. One is passenger flights like what tour companies charter to bring tourist to locations. It may be a charter flight and tours to Italy or Japan. These are the 200+ passenger size planes and most follow typical airline rules.
The second is the private aircarft charter like using executives jets normally 32 or less, with most being from 6 - 14 passengers. Many will allow pets since your paying the full cost including cleaning and deoderizing the aircarft. But some are corportate and private jets that are made avaialable for charters and some do not allow animals because the owners don;t want them onboard.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
That was Feb 26, 2009. Very old thread.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:14 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Yep, very old thread.

The Sapphire Princess cruises out of Los Angeles to Honolulu, Hilo, Kona, Lahaina, etc. on 14 day roundtrips.
Maybe they allow pets? I have no idea.

Sapphire Princess : Princess Cruises®

Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
The cruise ship I was on, Holland America Lines, had a bit of green grass on the lower deck for any dogs which would be allowed on board if they were assisting blind folks, but I didn't ever see any dogs or any other animal anywhere.

The cruise ships are not officially allowed to let passengers get off the ship halfway through a cruise, but I don't know what penalties there would be if folks did.

It would be nice if we could get those passenger ships going again. Ship days were always fun and if we could get them to bring tourists and drop them off for a week or two, it would be nice.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:52 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times
There is a freight company that will take you dog in the cabin.
It was one of the options we were looking at for our dog.

You cant ride in the cabin, but the dog can. I keep on envisioning the plane like the one in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island