Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 5,246 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are trying to decide where to buy on the east side of the B.I. We want green but not rain 24/7. We are looking to buy 1 or more acres either north or south of hilo... i hear puna is pretty impoverished. Where would a white couple be 'recieved well'? I used to live on oahu about 10 yrs ago and my husbands name is kimo and he was born on maui... but hes a white as they come! lol. Is Honokaa nice? Any advice would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 12:40 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
I think Honoka'a is lovely. Very green, charming little town. One of my daughter's friends moved there last year from Kona, and loves it. Not much in the way of work tho, you'd have to go to Hilo or the resort area, or Kona for that. And, not a lot of hiring going on. When are you coming out to check out various areas? Happy hunting!

Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
You could try the Laupahoehoe area, it is very green and not quite as rainy as Hilo or misty all day like Waimea. Lots of haoles in the area, too. Lots of everyone else, too, but that's Hawaii. All kinds of folks living next to all kinds of other folks.

Actually, don't buy anything until you've come over and rented for six months or so. You can't find the perfect spot in one week of looking since there are so many different areas and they all have their own charms and some not so charming aspects. One week of looking and you will be able to know where to start but that's about all. Once you find an area, then rent close by and see if it is somewhere you want to stay.

We can have climate changes from one side of a town to the other, just look at Waimea with it's "wet" side and it's "dry" side. The climate also changes according to elevation. The weather at the bottom of Ocean view is worlds away from the weather at the top of that sub. There is also the distance to things to take into consideration. Depending on what amenities you want, that will determine your choices, too.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:58 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
Honokaa is an area I really like as well...Just close enough to the Kohala coast for beach access, but still green and charming. It is, as hotzcatz says, a place you will want to visit and consider carefully to be sure it meets your expectations. You might also consider doing a bit of research on Ahualoa (about 6 miles from Honokaa)--a google search will pull up a couple of interesting websites with links to personal sites and businesses.

Old 03-16-2009, 12:44 AM

96 posts, read 619,819 times
honoka'a is very green and has the feel of an old sugar cane plantation town (as that is where it's history lies) majority of my family is from/living in honoka'a. it does rain often though not year round. the hamakua coast (from waipio valley to just outside hilo) is very lush and green, due to all the rain teh area gets. you won't find work in honoka'a. better luck in hilo or kona. it is difficult in general to find a job in hawaii especially in smaller towns like honoka'a. as long as you are warm and welcoming to those that live there you should be fine, though many families have lived their all their lives and for generations. it isn't necessarily as tight nit as some smaller communities where everyone knows you but it is really close. you will stick out being white as the town is mostly japanese/hawaiian. as others have mentioned i would check out the area first. also you are going to have a difficult time finding an acre of land for sale, let alone one that isn't a fortune. the few lots (i think there are one or two at the moment) are closer to 7,000-10,000 sqft and between $130,000 and $200,000. you would have better luck finding a lot that already has a house built and check the property out. many homes are older so you'd want to check the structure first as usual before buying etc.
there is only one school in honoka'a, it is a k-12. their is also a small golf course, though it is on a hill so that makes for interesting play, sorry no golf carts. close proximity to waimea. nice ocean views from some parts of the town. nice 'main street', with mom and pop shops, a very small movie theater, grocery store, hotel, feed store etc. um can't think of anything else, just ask if you have any other specific questions
good luck

Old 03-16-2009, 02:13 AM

The feed store closed several months ago so the nearest one is now in Waimea or Hilo. Maybe another one will open again. Honokaa does have Ikeuchi's Hardware, that's a very quaint hardware store. A lot of the little shops just relocated all over the place in the last several months, too. They didn't go out of business, just moved down the street across the street or up the street so now they aren't where you expect to find them.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM

96 posts, read 619,819 times
it is a very slow paced laid back town so if that is what you're looking for that is good. it can be difficult if you were expecting many little shops or places to eat. there are a few like cj's, etc. but you'll find more variety in waimea which isn't that far. let us know a little more of what you're looking for =)

Old 03-19-2009, 06:19 PM

Eh, KoaHawaii, I can just imagine da kine in CJ's! Trying for bus me up, or what?

Old 06-21-2015, 03:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,099 times
Default Honokaa is back

Real estate threads should die after 2 years. The prices mentioned earlier are irrelevant. A deal in Honokaa in 2015 for an acre is 420k. Still, this is a growing town. Your best bet between Waimea and Hilo if you want to be in a town. There are a few places to eat which are really good. But... live close to what you want. Waimea and Hilo are different worlds.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:48 PM

48 posts, read 74,589 times
Although this is an old thread, I'm glad it has resurfaced.

How much rain does Honokaa really gets? Where do the locals go for grocery? Are you able to grow mangoes or papayas on the coast or is it too wet? I would imagine that we would have to make the monthly (or so) trip to Waimea or Kona to stock on essentials such as flour, rice, etc... We don't eat out much since we prefer to know where our food comes from and who touches it. Also, where is the closest sewing store for threads and fabrics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island