Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 PM

19 posts, read 104,953 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
I have some free nights to use at the Fairmont Orchid, Kamuela. I've never been to the BI before. Questions:
-Do I need a rental car to get from the airport to the Fairmont? How far is it? Is there a resort shuttle?
-Do I fly into Kona?
-Are there any good places to eat around there that aren't super expensive? I already expect the hotel to be expensive, and I'm not interested in overpriced resort fare. Here on Oahu we like local hole-in-the-wall type places, or upscale good values, such as Indigo, Orchids, or when on Maui, Mala, Pacifico, Saigon, etc.
-How is the snorkeling in front of the hotel? Is there somewhere else totally worth driving to that isn't far? I heard there was a good night spot with manta/eagle rays. . . where's that?
Since I only have 2 nights, I'm thinking of just hanging at the hotel and relaxing. We live on Oahu so we are figuring this will just a be a nice weekend getaway from the daily grind. Will we regret not driving all over the place and sightseeing? I'm not particularly interested in lava or volcanoes. I just want to use my platinum club free nights before they expire but don't want to waste the other money I'll spend getting there. I'm sure I have other questions but can't think of them right now so I'm open to further suggestions as well. Thank you very much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 10:16 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
This is a good location to relax at the resort, but I would think you might want to get a rental car (check with hotel about shuttle--there likely is one, but I'm not sure). A rental car would let you check out a couple of restaurants at Kawaihae harbor. My favorite for casual dining: the Seafood Bar. You might also want to drive up to Waimea to check out Tako Taco (great fish tacos if you like those).

Try using Google earth to map out the distance from the airport to the hotel, then to the harbor and to Waimea. It's not far, there's very little in between, so it feels expansive. Maybe take at least one day to visit a non-resort beach...the extra effort is well worth it.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:37 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
The Fairmont Orchid is a beautiful hotel, my favorite on the island. With only 2 days, you will enjoy just lazing around the hotel and grounds. I would definitely rent a car because there will be no way to go anywhere once you get to the hotel. Yes, the food there is expensive but Brown's Beach House for a dinner is a real treat. http://www.fairmont.com/NR/rdonlyres/50B1EC42-191B-41E1-9F34-760EBC0FEC44/0/ORC_Brown_Beach_House_Dinner_Part1_May09.pdf (broken link)

Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 AM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
The Fairmont Orchid IS beautiful. I could kill two days laying on a lounge chair drinking Mai Tais. I am not aware of snorkeling anywhere near the hotel but if you do get a car be sure to drive down the coast to Kealakekua Bay. It's well worth the effort.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: