U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 05:41 PM

94 posts, read 372,410 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
My husband and I currently live in Waianae (Oahu). We are looking for a nice lot of land to possibly build a new home on. Hilo is pretty big, and we haven't decided where is best. I'd love 1-3 acres, with nice neighbors.

I've done quite a bit of research online, but have not found anything in regards to actual figures or estimates for new home construction.

Does anyone know approximately what we'd be looking at for a median 3bdrm 2bath, roughly 1500sqft home? I know there are many different options, but I'm talking a basic idea. I've talked to a couple of contractors and I couldn't get straight answers on the phone.

Perhaps one of you know a little or a lot about the subject. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo nui loa,
Tita Corri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 04:34 PM

888 posts, read 2,741,064 times
Aloha Tita Corri. Have you looked at the B.I. mls online; Hawaiiinformation sevice? They have nearly everthing available listed, can give you an idea of prices. Also you might consider looking in Puna, just south of Hilo with some nice areas, much lower land prices and generally larger parcels.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:00 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,641,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Corri View Post
Aloha,
My husband and I currently live in Waianae (Oahu). We are looking for a nice lot of land to possibly build a new home on. Hilo is pretty big, and we haven't decided where is best. I'd love 1-3 acres, with nice neighbors.

I've done quite a bit of research online, but have not found anything in regards to actual figures or estimates for new home construction.

Does anyone know approximately what we'd be looking at for a median 3bdrm 2bath, roughly 1500sqft home? I know there are many different options, but I'm talking a basic idea. I've talked to a couple of contractors and I couldn't get straight answers on the phone.

Perhaps one of you know a little or a lot about the subject. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo nui loa,
Tita Corri
With the fluctuating cost of building materials, it's fairly safe to use $150 to $200 per square foot to get a "ballpark figure" on what it would cost to build a home in Hilo. Pre-packaged "spec" homes from places like HPM are somewhat cheaper, while architect-designed homes are somewhat more expensive. Timewise, it'll probably take a couple of years to get a home built here. As leilaniguy mentioned, you might want to consider checking out Puna -- there are quite a few recently-constructed homes for sale in Hawaiian Paradise Park (aka "HPP"), Orchidland Estates, and Ainaloa that can probably be purchased for less than what it will cost to build a new one right now, thanks to a "building boom" that took place during the last few years.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:14 PM

Aloha Leilaniguy & Jonah K,
Much much mahalo. Your information is greatly valued. I will be taking you both up on your suggestions and look into the Puna area. Glad I know of a great resource for listings now too. Again mahalo nui loa and a big giant Aloha!

Tita Corri

Old 04-20-2007, 12:47 AM

59 posts, read 210,361 times
We are currently building , heres some info.

The average home takes 6 to 8 months to build ,I would include your 1500 sq.ft in that category. Weather factors into any build in Hilo or Puna, so thats average.

The average builder begins at a rate of $100 sq.ft. for the basic home. By that I mean , a square/ rectangular ,single level home with no various roof pitches - or an "island style roof".

This home would contain the medium, builder grade ( as I say ) fixtures , countertops etc. No granite or travertine tile ....

"Package Homes " from the building supply companies will save some money. The permitting paperwork, plans, material lists are all handled by the building supply co., thus saving the contractor time. You will save even more by going through the material list, supplied by the "package home " supplier, line by line and shop around for better prices and better quality. Through our supplier , you have a $1500 deposit , can shop around, and as long as you purchase 60% of the material from their company, you get your deposit back ( as a credit to your final package price)

There are still land bargains, many lots are a quarter acre or less ( Ainaloa, Nanawale, Tiki Gardens ) , many larger lots 1-3 acres are on rough cinder, gravel roads. Depends on your needs and tastes.

We chose Leilani Estates, paved roads, regular electric ( some subdivisions have additional fees you pay just to connect to electricity ), mail delivery at your mailbox, covenants. All lots are 1 acre.

Do check into the new homes for sale. There are numerous new homes just sitting around everywhere, some partially finished. In almost every subdivision.

Good Luck !

Old 04-21-2007, 12:44 PM

Aloha Genxor,
Thank you so much! Your response is ever so helpful. It's all the info I was hoping for. Much much mahalo!!

Corri

Old 04-21-2007, 02:01 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,641,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genxor View Post
We are currently building , heres some info.

The average home takes 6 to 8 months to build ,I would include your 1500 sq.ft in that category. Weather factors into any build in Hilo or Puna, so thats average.

The average builder begins at a rate of $100 sq.ft. for the basic home. By that I mean , a square/ rectangular ,single level home with no various roof pitches - or an "island style roof".

This home would contain the medium, builder grade ( as I say ) fixtures , countertops etc. No granite or travertine tile ....

"Package Homes " from the building supply companies will save some money. The permitting paperwork, plans, material lists are all handled by the building supply co., thus saving the contractor time. You will save even more by going through the material list, supplied by the "package home " supplier, line by line and shop around for better prices and better quality. Through our supplier , you have a $1500 deposit , can shop around, and as long as you purchase 60% of the material from their company, you get your deposit back ( as a credit to your final package price)

There are still land bargains, many lots are a quarter acre or less ( Ainaloa, Nanawale, Tiki Gardens ) , many larger lots 1-3 acres are on rough cinder, gravel roads. Depends on your needs and tastes.

We chose Leilani Estates, paved roads, regular electric ( some subdivisions have additional fees you pay just to connect to electricity ), mail delivery at your mailbox, covenants. All lots are 1 acre.

Do check into the new homes for sale. There are numerous new homes just sitting around everywhere, some partially finished. In almost every subdivision.
That "6 to 8 months" figure to build an average home here is probably a little overly optimistic. I've built several homes on the Big Island (including some in Leilani Estates aka "Keahialaka"). From the initial identification and purchase of the lot until the time the "certificate of occupancy" was issued has seldom taken less than a year. Escrow, the permitting process, dozing the lot, selecting a competent builder (and getting them to show up in a timely fashion), the occasional theft of building materials, and the weather will usually slow the building of a home as well as increase its costs.

In addition to some of the Puna subdivisions, Waiakea Homestead Houselots and the Kaumana area in Hilo are definitely worth checking out as well.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:14 PM

2 posts, read 11,578 times
My partner and I purchased two side-by-side 3 acre lots in Orchidland in 2005 and are building on one of the lots. We have a great contractor and would like to recommend him if you need a reference.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:56 AM

1 posts, read 8,761 times
Default building in hawaii

I am just about to begin the process of finding a contractor in Hilo, you mentioned that you have a good one, could you share the name of the company or a way to contact him? Thank You Joy

Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 8,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii_Corri View Post
Aloha,

Mahalo nui loa,
Tita Corri
we have two properties side by side, we have one up for sale on hawaiian island homes.com we have two 12,000 sqft lots in the ainaloa subdivision not to faR FROM THE PARK on hibiscus rd... its beautiful theres all new houses on your road that is being built..our lot is flat and cleared we leveled and bulldozed it...grass is now covering the area ready to build a house..bigisland package homes have cheap kits on listing our land is going for 45,000 but we decided to drop it to 30,000, whats the proertys worth if your intrested you can call erik kruse at 428-0529....and just a reminder with the ferry and all there will be all lot of people buying land oahu is just to exspensive...after buying the land and your package home you still will pay way cheap homes now are half a million and up rediculas well you have a wonderful day....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island