U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2009, 11:04 AM

11 posts, read 19,663 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I want to move to hilo, but i am trying to be a little more responsible about this move than i have been about moves in the past. it would be, after all, a much bigger move. so i was wondering a lot of things, but first off, what's the job market like there for somebody who would probably be looking for something in the service industry. i assume that there are seasonal ups and downs so i was also hoping somebody could tell me when the best time to come looking for jobs would be. even though i am not as yet close to realizing my goal of being there i have been looking at a lot of rommate wanted ads just to see hopefully what that part of the move would be like and i have found the prices and situations to be both very reasonable and desirable. in fact, so far in my searching i haven't found anything undesirable about the place, but i know there has to be something. no place is perfect. so i was hoping people could share some insight, give me some things to think about and factor into my planning. thank you for your time in reading this
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 PM

3,755 posts, read 5,877,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlessdel42 View Post
Hi there! I want to move to hilo, but i am trying to be a little more responsible about this move than i have been about moves in the past. it would be, after all, a much bigger move. so i was wondering a lot of things, but first off, what's the job market like there for somebody who would probably be looking for something in the service industry. i assume that there are seasonal ups and downs so i was also hoping somebody could tell me when the best time to come looking for jobs would be. even though i am not as yet close to realizing my goal of being there i have been looking at a lot of rommate wanted ads just to see hopefully what that part of the move would be like and i have found the prices and situations to be both very reasonable and desirable. in fact, so far in my searching i haven't found anything undesirable about the place, but i know there has to be something. no place is perfect. so i was hoping people could share some insight, give me some things to think about and factor into my planning. thank you for your time in reading this
The main drawback is that there are mainly only service jobs. For all practical purposes, there are no manufacturing jobs and right now,very few construction jobs. What kind of service job are you looking for? Hospitality? Forget it. Food service? Forget it. With tourism down, there just isn't anything. Computer-related? Some.
Are you male or female? Strong and able to be outdoors in any weather? I have seen a number of temp coffee and macnut jobs posted in last few weeks.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:15 PM

5,976 posts, read 9,759,459 times
Check the online version of the Hilo's Hawaii Tribune Herald Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii > Front and Craig's List to see what jobs are listed. At the moment, there are very few jobs available since tourism is down so much, especially on the outer islands. Oahu is down, too, but not as bad as the rest of the island chain.

As folk's unemployment runs out from when they were laid off when things slowed down about a year ago, the job market will get tighter, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island