Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:35 PM

10 posts, read 59,751 times

Advertisements

Hi

Moving to the Big Island for work.Trying to find an area to live in

Here are my options....Waimea/ Waikoloa Village/ Puako or Kailua. I am unsure what each of these places offer. My wish list is sunny, nearby beaches,shops etc. I am unsure on the going rate on rentals?

Any suggestions ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 01:53 PM

115 posts, read 663,552 times
Check out this site, I am sure it has a link to rentals somewhere. We decided on Kailua, since that is where my husband based his business and it is close to major stores, etc and within also some GORGEOUS beaches...

I also found a lot of rental info on craigslist.

Good luck!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:21 PM

Thanks!

I had a question on cars? I have a mercedes that is on a lease. Is it worth bringing over? I am trying to sell it here in CA. But, I might have to bring it. I dont want to stand out!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:23 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,242,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiec View Post
Thanks!

I had a question on cars? I have a mercedes that is on a lease. Is it worth bringing over? I am trying to sell it here in CA. But, I might have to bring it. I dont want to stand out!
It'll cost at least $975 to ship your Mercedes to the Big Island from California. As long as you get rid of the California license plates after shipping it here, it probably won't stand out since we have Mercedes dealerships in Kona and Hilo.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:57 PM

Got it! Thanks

Old 04-25-2007, 05:50 PM

216 posts, read 1,183,708 times
Smile Help with your move to the Big Island

Quote:
Hi

Moving to the Big Island for work.Trying to find an area to live in

Here are my options....Waimea/ Waikoloa Village/ Puako or Kailua. I am unsure what each of these places offer. My wish list is sunny, nearby beaches,shops etc. I am unsure on the going rate on rentals?

Any suggestions ????

Hi!

I think I can help you out a little. I have lived and worked in this area on the Big Island for seventeen years.

Some questions for you first though. Have you been to this island before? What made you decide on the areas that you have mentioned? What do you consider "shops?" Do you want to live in a house or in a condo? How many people will be moving with you? Do you have any children/education issues to think about? Will you be looking for employment, and if yes, in what field?

Your answers to these questions will help me guide my thoughts on a good place for you to start looking.

With Aloha,
Cyndi

Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 AM

Hi

I actually picked the Big island because I am moving there for work. I am a Real Estate agent. My boyfriend and I want to live somewhat close to work. I am working for the Hualalai Resort (4seasons) in Kona. We do not have any children and perfer either a house or condo. Renting for now untill we can buy our home. I was told Waikoloa Village or Waimea. Not bad traffic going to work, so I hear. We are open to anywhere as long it doesn't exceed 1hr drive to work. I have visited Kona a few times, but really never visit every town on the Big Island. When I look up Waikoloa Village not sure if there are towns within area that I should be looking at? Same goes for Waimea & Kailua.

Open to any suggestions!

Old 04-26-2007, 03:14 PM

216 posts, read 1,183,708 times
Default The Lowdown on the West Side

Quote:
Hi

I actually picked the Big island because I am moving there for work. I am a Real Estate agent. My boyfriend and I want to live somewhat close to work. I am working for the Hualalai Resort (4seasons) in Kona. We do not have any children and perfer either a house or condo. Renting for now untill we can buy our home. I was told Waikoloa Village or Waimea. Not bad traffic going to work, so I hear. We are open to anywhere as long it doesn't exceed 1hr drive to work. I have visited Kona a few times, but really never visit every town on the Big Island. When I look up Waikoloa Village not sure if there are towns within area that I should be looking at? Same goes for Waimea & Kailua.

Open to any suggestions!
Ok, here's the lowdown from my point of view:

Kona: This is the biggest town on the West side of the BI. It has all of the major stores on our island: Macy's, Costco, Walmart, K-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Ross, Borders. Lots of restuarants, close to the ocean, and as you know from visiting, a darling town. The vog can be heavy at times though, and the traffic is getting extremely challenging, especially at certain times of the day. Rent can range from 1,000-3,000 depending on size and location. It will take you about 15-20 minutes to get to and from work with no traffic. When there is traffic, it can take much longer. The best beaches are further north and will take you about 30-45 minutes to get there.

Waikoloa: The village of Waikoloa is about 25 minutes from your work, and you won't run into much traffic. There are mostly homes and condo's and a few small stores. One very expensive grocery store and one gas station with very expensive gas. (I've heard the most expensive in Hawaii.)Only one restaurant. The village is very "neighborly." Lots of families with children and a lot of people from the mainland. I've heard it called "Waikofornia." It has grown significantly in the past few years. You have a good chance of renting a house or condo here. Once again, it will range from 1000-3000/ month depending on size and location. The best beaches on the island are about 10-15 minutes away.

Puako: Darling beach town right on the Pacific. Lots of sunshine. not a lot of places to rent, and rent can be expensive for a decent house. Lots of vacation rentals here. Fun place to ride a bike. Only one tiny store for provisions. You really have to get out of Puako to do any real shopping. About 30 minutes from the Four Seasons.

Waimea:One of the most beautiful places in the world when it's not raining. The second biggest town on this side. Two grocery stores, hardware store, a decent amount of restaurants, and boutiques. Starbucks too. Very "western" in feel. Almost like you are in Colorado or Wyoming. It can be very cool (temperature) too. My father doesn't like Waimea at all because he says when he visits Hawaii he wants to be warm! Mostly houses here, not a lot of condo's. You will find rent between 1,500-3000 a month. Traffic can be very bad at certain times of the day, but people have a lot of aloha and are kind to each other. Driving time is about 50 minutes to the Four Seasons. About 20minutes to a good beach.

*For any "real" shopping, you will have to make a hop over to Oahu. Fun!

I recommend subscribing to the West Hawaii Today.

Hope that helps!Good Luck.

Old 04-26-2007, 03:43 PM

Hi cynthia,

YOU have been such a GREAT help!!! Thank you thank you so much. I feel like I finally understand where I would want to a least start. Kailua might be good for us in the begining and then move around once we fimilarize ourselfs on where we might want to be. Regarding traffic from Kailua to 4seasons what is the max it would take in traffic?

I do have another question on clothing? What should I NOT bring.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:19 PM

3 posts, read 14,007 times
Just a little more mainland to Hawaii insight. I moved here from WA last August (actually moving back at the end of May for a different school opportunity) so here's my take as far as clothing since everything else has been covered.

As far as clothing, go ahead and bring a little of everything. I live on the Hilo side and have found myself being cold when the low drops into the 60s (I use to consider this t-shirt and shorts temperature). I've had to buy a couple more hoodies for when I go out after dark because I do get chilly. But definately bring all the warm stuff cause it does get warm, especially on the Kona side. If you settle on Waimea, it is cooler there, but in my opinion, it's also more tolerable. If the trades aren't blowing, it isn't uncommon for the temperature to reach the upper 80s where I live, and that translates to mid 90s or higher inside the house. It gets warm. Waimea also tends to get windy at night, so it makes it that much cooler. I can't give you actual temps but I've seen it get into the low 50s pretty easily at night when I'm going through town. I do love Waimea and if it weren't at least an hour commute to UH Hilo, I would have moved there.

Kailua definately has traffic mixed of your locals and completely lost tourists. Since I generally only make it over there on the weekend, I have noticed a difference in traffic based on whether it's the high season or low season as far as tourists go.

Do you plan on visiting before the actual move? That would really help you get an idea of the area and commute times, what shops are around, prices of well, everything...blah blah blah...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island