U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 PM

292 posts, read 582,643 times
Default How hard is it to rent a house on the Big Island?

I am looking to relocate next spring. Real estate took a hit and house will not garner much equity here when I sell it.
I have a 4 year old who will need good schooling and 3 large dogs that I will begin the 5 day procedure for prior to the move; clearly the house must be pet friendly. They are large and very well behaved dogs.
It would help for me to rent prior to purchasing ; is this unrealistic?
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 06:58 PM

3,222 posts, read 5,133,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
I am looking to relocate next spring. Real estate took a hit and house will not garner much equity here when I sell it.
I have a 4 year old who will need good schooling and 3 large dogs that I will begin the 5 day procedure for prior to the move; clearly the house must be pet friendly. They are large and very well behaved dogs.
It would help for me to rent prior to purchasing ; is this unrealistic?
Thank you!
I was going to mention how easy it is to rent right now, until I got to the part where you mention 3 large dogs. Due to insurance issues, many landlords will not allow certain breeds at all. Since by law, they are also forbidden to ask for additional pet deposits, it adds an extra issue for them as well.
We rented a very nice, fully furnished vacation rental on a long-term basis for $1200 month - which includes tax, electric, water, internet, SAT TV, maid service (but we have no pets) They wanted over $2000. We found many owners of nice vacation property willing to make really good deals. It is a sign of the times.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:00 AM

65 posts, read 180,918 times
A good school means a private school in Hawaii. Combine that with finding a rental that will accept one dog, let alone three, and you have a challenge. Identify the school you want so you know where you will live, then watch the rentals at West Hawaii Today online. The snowbirds are starting to look right now which is going to increase the competition.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:12 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,707,479 times
May I also add with the dogs start the program now. Once cleared they are clear to go for 3 years but if you have a delay you start the 120 day quarantine over. .

Old 08-22-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohala Coast tennis View Post
A good school means a private school in Hawaii. Combine that with finding a rental that will accept one dog, let alone three, and you have a challenge. Identify the school you want so you know where you will live, then watch the rentals at West Hawaii Today online. The snowbirds are starting to look right now which is going to increase the competition.
I just returned from the Big Island last week. When I was there I visited Parker and HPA. Any info on either of these schools? We are talking preK..
Of course both are in Kamuela..
Thank you!

Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
May I also add with the dogs start the program now. Once cleared they are clear to go for 3 years but if you have a delay you start the 120 day quarantine over. .
Thanks, I am getting them started soon. Where in western NY are you? I am in the Albany NY area..

Old 08-22-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I just returned from the Big Island last week. When I was there I visited Parker and HPA. Any info on either of these schools? We are talking preK..
Of course both are in Kamuela..
Thank you!
Sorry I meant kindergarden, there does not appear to be an edit post function.....

Old 08-22-2009, 11:00 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,707,479 times
Quote:
Sorry I meant kindergarden, there does not appear to be an edit post function.....
lol you have an edit function up until somone replys to the post then you loose the chance to edit. I have wished you could for a while

Old 08-22-2009, 11:45 AM

2,557 posts, read 5,428,417 times
It is going to be difficult to find a home to rent w/ 3 large dogs. What breed are they? Do you have employment? Will you be able to afford rent and your house payment if your house doesn't sell?

Old 08-22-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
It is going to be difficult to find a home to rent w/ 3 large dogs. What breed are they? Do you have employment? Will you be able to afford rent and your house payment if your house doesn't sell?
I am an MD that telecommutes for a large corporation. My only other need is internet access. I was looking into working part time delivering care in a free clinic. I can afford the rent and mortgage on the other house but not 2 mortgages.
They are 1 Weimaraner and 2 Great Danes. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island