Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:26 AM

25 posts, read 81,444 times

Advertisements

Hey, is the author of this thread still active?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 02:44 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,669,721 times
His name is Erik and he has his own forum at • Index page. It's mostly a forum for people into astromony, but he also has a South Hawaii thread.

Yes, the link came out looking weird, but it is a good link.

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 12-28-2011 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: added comment about link

Old 03-14-2012, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,577 times
I lived in the HOVE for over a year, I had a four wheel drive and camping equipment. Living in a tent for a year is not as bad as you might think and at thirty five hundred feet the stars are, you got to see to believe. Lots of really good pot and nice people. Drugs like cocaine and meth are messing up the place as it does in so many places, mostly with the youth and there are dangers. I would advise anyone to look first before you buy as in some places it is like living on the moon. I did have a friend who lived in a lava tube, it was done very nicely but running water and power are not at hand. Best advice would be solar powered everything even water can be extracted from the air and a chemical toilet, most of all a four wheel drive SUV or small pick up. Bottom line, I loved the place the HOVE is somewhat like the wild west and there are people there that are in the witness protection program. There are some very rich people there that own a sq. mile with lava walls around their estate, trees, gardens and pools, the inventor of Cool Whip has such a place.

Aloha, Terry Brookman

Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 AM

14 posts, read 19,959 times
Aloha Rabblerouser, I know this was posted about 5 years ago but I thought I'd take a chance and ask you how things are at HOVE. I am a property owner at HOVE for the last 10 years or so only because I inherited it from my father who purchased it way back in the 60's. So I have never seen the lot but a cousin of mine who lived in on BI for many years and was also in construction at the time did take a trip and look at it. And that was awhile ago. I know that it has improved somewhat in the community. I still have all the newsletters that my father was getting and me too since I've become a property owner there. But because of financial difficulties for me I put my lot up for sale the beginning of this year 2013. It is on ML with a realtor who actually lives in HOVE, I think she said. But I have not had any bites on the property. I was wondering what your take was on real estate there. Believe me I do know that there many lots for sale and like here in NJ the real estate has been down for a long time and just beginning to pick up. Hopefully there in HOVE too. Would love to hear what you have to say. Thank you for your input.

Aloha, Carol (Jersea girl)

Old 12-22-2013, 02:11 PM

Carol, we are still here in Discovery Harbour (down the road from Ocean View). Real estate is definitely picking up here, but Hawaii still lags the mainland and Ka'u still lags the Kona coast.

You should check some real estate online sites to get an idea of what is for sale here. I think there may be nearly 100 lots for sale in HOVE and HOVR (educated guesstimate). The lots in HOVE that are closer to the highway are going to sell faster than those further up the hill, especially the ones that don't have electricity yet.

We have seen activity pick up here in Discovery Harbour, with people buying both houses and empty lots. We still have a couple dozen houses in foreclosure, however, which hurts the rest of us. 2013 was a good year, and we have high hopes for 2014.

I'm not a realtor, just interested in the real estate scene.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:00 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseagirl01 View Post
But because of financial difficulties for me I put my lot up for sale the beginning of this year 2013. It is on ML with a realtor who actually lives in HOVE, I think she said. But I have not had any bites on the property. I was wondering what your take was on real estate there.
I think DoH described it well... there's lots of property for sale and little market for any of it. Sorry to say, there's little you can do but wait. Patiently. Probably for a long time.

But here's wishing you goof luck with it.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:57 AM

17 posts, read 41,772 times
I am a real estate agent for Clark and I love Mountain View. As far as HOVE goes you can get a great deal there because there are a lot of properties available for sell. As far as crime goes I always tell people coming to the island to subscribe to Nixle, this system will give you a play by play of what is happing on the island, who was arrested where for what… You will also want to go to the police we site, the site has great information on the community police officer who take care of the area.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Hey, interesting site! There was just a posting (four minutes ago) on the Nixle site about the bridge being closed because of flooding. Not that we were planning on going to Hilo, but now we will be able to look for advisories before we head out that way.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Hey, interesting site! There was just a posting (four minutes ago) on the Nixle site about the bridge being closed because of flooding. Not that we were planning on going to Hilo, but now we will be able to look for advisories before we head out that way.
We get Civil Defense alerts sent as text messages to our cell phone. Includes things like road closures, flood alerts, etc. I think we signed up through the County emergency response office.

Old 01-12-2014, 07:30 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,277,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
A good example of a private water company is Hawaiian Beaches Water Company (used to be Miller & Leib) which provides water to Hawaiian Shores Recreational Estates (HSRE) and the nearby subdivisions.

County water is provided through the Hawaii Department of Water Supply
Is there a large difference in cost between the county water and private water, or any other reason to avoid properties serviced by private water companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: