Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 03:35 PM

543 posts, read 3,071,409 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying cheap land in southern Big Island. I heard it was about 5k/acre. What is the land tax like?

Also, is it possible to live in an RV? (with solar panel attached) instead of renting a house?

Are RV's in Hawaii more expensive than mainland ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:45 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,573,774 times
be very careful of the "cheap" land. There's a large subdivision called Hawaii Ocean View Estates on the south end of the Big Island, and it is made up of 10,000 one acre lots. Vegetation is very sparse and the entire subdivision is on catchment. Utilities do not serve the whole subdivision, so there are vast areas with no electricity or phone. And, best of all, a large number of lots are black lava. Nothing else, just black lava. If you are really lucky, you may buy yourself a lot riddled with lava tubes. Instead of living in your RV, you could live in your lava tube. People really do it there!

Good news is that in HOVE you can live in whatever you want, including shipping containers, school buses, etc. Just get your tank for water, your generator, and your solar panels, and you'll be fine.

Old 08-28-2009, 11:04 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,454,353 times
I have seen something like 3 (three) RV's on the island, none of which were moving when I saw them nor did it appear that they had either moved anytime in the recent past or were even capable of moving if required.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:48 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,862,202 times
There aren't any RV's on the island and they've changed the rules lately so now you are supposed to keep your RV in an approved RV park. Of which we have none.

Land for $5K an acre, huh? Doubt you'll find any. When you do find any "cheap land" there may be a reason why. More than likely, such things as power, water, roads, phone, mail delivery, etc. probably won't be available.

Oh, just because people are living in school buses and shipping containers doesn't mean that it is legal to do so, it just means so far they haven't been fined for it.

Kansoku, perhaps a visit would be a good thing to schedule before buying any property around here.

Old 08-29-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
be very careful of the "cheap" land. There's a large subdivision called Hawaii Ocean View Estates on the south end of the Big Island, and it is made up of 10,000 one acre lots. Vegetation is very sparse and the entire subdivision is on catchment.
Vegetation is very sparse. So it is a part of the Island where it almost never rains? Desertish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Utilities do not serve the whole subdivision, so there are vast areas with no electricity or phone. And, best of all, a large number of lots are black lava. Nothing else, just black lava. If you are really lucky, you may buy yourself a lot riddled with lava tubes. Instead of living in your RV, you could live in your lava tube. People really do it there!

Good news is that in HOVE you can live in whatever you want, including shipping containers, school buses, etc. Just get your tank for water, your generator, and your solar panels, and you'll be fine.
Could you show me pictures or articles about people living in lava tubes in Big Island? What are their jobs?

What is HOVE?

Also what is the website from which you can see some land prices of southern Big Island?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:31 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,573,274 times
[quote=Kansoku;10513805]Vegetation is very sparse. So it is a part of the Island where it almost never rains? Desertish?

No its the part of the Island the has some ove the most recent Lava flows and the vegetation hasnt gotten a good foothold.

Could you show me pictures or articles about people living in lava tubes in Big Island? What are their jobs?

I havnt seen the pictures but have seen the tubes with he remnants of the people living in them

What is HOVE?

Hawaii
Ocean
View
Estates

Old 08-29-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post

No its the part of the Island the has some of the most recent Lava flows and the vegetation hasnt gotten a good foothold.
When was the recent lava flows? How often does it occur? Is there a good chance that my fruit trees would be ruined if I tried to live a self-sufficient lifestyle there because of the lava flow sooner or later in the next 70 years?

Quote:
I havnt seen the pictures but have seen the tubes with he remnants of the people living in them
You mean bones? Bones of the native Hawaiians long time ago? Or do people live in them these days as well?

Old 08-29-2009, 01:57 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,573,274 times
The lava is still flowing on the Island. There was a good flow in the 80s lost homes. The next good eruption is completely up to Pele.

No bones just junk remember no running water, elect, plumbing ect.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:17 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,567,770 times
The only acre lots for $5000 listed on the Hawaii MLS right now are in Royal Gardens subdivision. Google it and you'll see why it's so cheap. There are areas where you could find a liveable piece of land for not much more than that, but like my Dad always said; "Low prices attract low people."

Old 08-29-2009, 05:35 PM

263 posts, read 1,001,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilaniguy View Post
but like my Dad always said; "Low prices attract low people."
On a related subject, I have seen the multi-million dollar waterfront listings and they all seem to have living room walls that slide all the way open. I think they are called pocket doors. My question is how on earth do the owners secure their property? I would think those sliding walls can not be strong enough to deter break-ins. Are these houses always in gated communities and away from burglers? It's just something that I have always wondered about.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island