Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:33 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times

Advertisements

IDK, maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 01:50 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Here's a good local source for houses to rent:

hawaiitribune-herald/

You will quickly notice how many houses are for rent right now, in the area. You may want to look into renting a fully furnished vacation rental thru a site like vrbo.com. That would give you time to feel out the various areas before making a longer term commitment. Ignore the asking prices - with this economy, the real price will be substantially lower. Don't email the owners - phone them - it better shows your sincerity. They get dozens of emails every week from people that are "curious".

Deposits on vacation rentals are also dirt cheap. Plus, you will write one check that covers everything for your stay. I would look for a minimum 1 month stay as that gives you the best price and will give you better breathing room to look for a longer-term rental. That being said, there are many vacation rental homes with anxious owners that will happily give you a great 6+ month deal.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:43 AM

115 posts, read 471,476 times
Good luck to you and the family.

When looking for a rental try to get the managers/owners of the property to send you as many photos as possible including outside surroundings or better if you know anyone here is to have them go by there and look at it for you. If you don't know anyone just let me know where and I can go look at it for you just to make sure you before you lay out the bucks.

It sounds very exciting for you guys and I am sure you will love living here.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:43 PM

121 posts, read 524,498 times
1. Bring money, lots of it.
2. Stand in line - a long one - for any job, if there's any.
3. Bring money
4. Bring lots of umbrellas (not for the sun, for the rain!)
5. Furnished 3-bdrm? $1,800/mo +-
6. Bring money
7. Milk @ $7.00/gal
8. Leave the cat
9. Get a Hawaiian cat
10. Bring money

Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLo View Post
1. Bring money, lots of it.
2. Stand in line - a long one - for any job, if there's any.
3. Bring money
4. Bring lots of umbrellas (not for the sun, for the rain!)
5. Furnished 3-bdrm? $1,800/mo +- Wrong. Your price is way high. $12-1400 is normal now and that would include electric, gardener, water....
6. Bring money
7. Milk @ $7.00/gal Only if you shop stupidly. I have yet to pay over $3.99
8. Leave the cat
9. Get a Hawaiian cat
10. Bring money
See above, in BOLD

Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 PM

121 posts, read 524,498 times
md, my son just got back (last week) from Kauai. I assumed wrong that milk in the Big Island was the same ($7) Now I find out that it's high in Kauai because the milk is shipped from the only dairys left in HI and they (2?) are on the BI, so naturally BI would have cheaper milk. Here in SJ we pay around $3/gal.
And you say $1,200 for a fully furnished 3bd rm house with utilities included, *and* a gardener? Where? The lady was talking about Hilo. Are you sure these prices are in Hilo (area)? My impression is that real estate in general is higher in Hilo than other areas on the east side.
btw, we pay $1.69/lb for HI papayas, ouch! But the Mexican larger type, and just as sweet as HI type can be had for around $0.69/lb (on sale)
I know avos are cheaper (free?) in HI but right now they're $0.33/each for large Haas (on sale) and that is cheap! But I have seen them as low as $0.20 ea. for slightly smaller ones.
One nice thing about mainland produce, mangoes are available year-round. Slighter higher in the winter but in the summer you can get Mexican large mangoes for $0.25/ea (on sale) Are mangoes available in the winter in HI?
Cherries were $0.79/lb (on sale) two weeks ago. How much are cherries in HI? And watermelon? Try about $3.00/ea for large seedless (on sale) right now. How much are watermelons in HI? Green and red grapes for $0.67/lb (again, on sale). In HI?
I could go on, but you get my drift.
Again, you can live very well in HI, any island, as long as you have a *good* job, that pays *well* and you own a home.
I just a bought my third house (one is in Utah, one is here in SJ) in Oakley, CA
across the street from homes that are on the water (next to Bethel Island). I paid $82,500 cash. Needs a little work, but it's on half acre and far from Oakley proper surrounded in the back by fields with cattle (moo). It has plum, apple, pear, and lemon trees, and grapes in the backyard.
We're from HI (Oahu and Kauai) and love the islands, but it just got too expensive. So now we enjoy the low-cost of mainland living with constant visits to the islands with the money with save.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLo View Post
md, my son just got back (last week) from Kauai. I assumed wrong that milk in the Big Island was the same ($7) Now I find out that it's high in Kauai because the milk is shipped from the only dairys left in HI and they (2?) are on the BI, so naturally BI would have cheaper milk. Here in SJ we pay around $3/gal.
And you say $1,200 for a fully furnished 3bd rm house with utilities included, *and* a gardener? Where? The lady was talking about Hilo. Are you sure these prices are in Hilo (area)? My impression is that real estate in general is higher in Hilo than other areas on the east side.
btw, we pay $1.69/lb for HI papayas, ouch! But the Mexican larger type, and just as sweet as HI type can be had for around $0.69/lb (on sale)
I know avos are cheaper (free?) in HI but right now they're $0.33/each for large Haas (on sale) and that is cheap! But I have seen them as low as $0.20 ea. for slightly smaller ones.
One nice thing about mainland produce, mangoes are available year-round. Slighter higher in the winter but in the summer you can get Mexican large mangoes for $0.25/ea (on sale) Are mangoes available in the winter in HI?
Cherries were $0.79/lb (on sale) two weeks ago. How much are cherries in HI? And watermelon? Try about $3.00/ea for large seedless (on sale) right now. How much are watermelons in HI? Green and red grapes for $0.67/lb (again, on sale). In HI?
I could go on, but you get my drift.
Again, you can live very well in HI, any island, as long as you have a *good* job, that pays *well* and you own a home.
I just a bought my third house (one is in Utah, one is here in SJ) in Oakley, CA
across the street from homes that are on the water (next to Bethel Island). I paid $82,500 cash. Needs a little work, but it's on half acre and far from Oakley proper surrounded in the back by fields with cattle (moo). It has plum, apple, pear, and lemon trees, and grapes in the backyard.
We're from HI (Oahu and Kauai) and love the islands, but it just got too expensive. So now we enjoy the low-cost of mainland living with constant visits to the islands with the money with save.
Check out the ads for local grocery stores. We shop at KTA, Foodland and Sack n Save. We only buy sale items. We do well doing this.

We rented thru vrbo (South ofHilo) - I spoke with many, many home owners and no matter what the asking price on vrbo was, I got all of them down to $1100-$1400 within minutes of beginning my conversation. Never use email to get a price. PHONE them personally.

Farmer's markets are everywhere and these people also negotiate price.
I would rather spend money directly with the farmer than pay the same price at the big grocery store.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:19 PM

11 posts, read 54,743 times
i would have to say kaumana would be a good place for you to find a furnished house. (Check out Craigs List) Hilo High would be the better school for your daughter to attend, (not beacuse I went there and HILO HIGH VIKINGS ROCK.) but the high school is like 5 mins out from Kaumana. living up kaumana will make it easier with the one way traffice in the moring to drop your daughter off at school. Also the GYM is right down the road. Finding a job may be a struggle in Hilo. but dont worry you'll be in paradise in a couple of months..

I would recommened craigslist for anything you need jobs, furiture, homes to rent.. its a very good resource.

We have many people that come here form the mainland training also.. Good luck to you and your family.. Especially your husband with his up coming fight..

Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 15,549 times
My family is also moving to the Hilo area in January. I have found many tings on here to be very informative. We too are looking for some friendly advice, maybe even make a friend or two before we move out there. We also have a toddler, and want to find a safe place to raise him.

Good luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island