Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:20 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times

Advertisements

Short version: If the loan is going to be sold to Fannie Mae, your lender won't do lava zone 1 or 2. If the loan is going to be a portfolio loan, or through an independent broker, there are options. This gets complicated--if you need resources, don't hesitate to DM me and I can give you contact info for lenders who can explain the ins and outs...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 02:29 PM

16 posts, read 66,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskangrown View Post
I know there has been posts about this before, but things change, and maybe there's some new info out there I am looking to buy about three acres on the Big Island- maybe Fern Acres, or wherever looks suitable- I would like trees, ferns, and jungle, within 15 miles of Hilo would be nice, but I'm not picky on that. I understand that the land is in a lava zone on the Puna part of the island, and I know there is no electricity, or paved roads or services, but I look at the prices, and wonder what the catch is....Is there one? I know that the job market can be tough, but my husband and I have both had offers, and coming from Alaska, where you'd be lucky to get 3 acres of frozen swamp for under $30K, it seems too good to be true. Other than the same advice I always hear (no jobs, bad roads (hahaha, come to Alaska!) no electricity or water service (I've lived without plumbing for over 10 years, and we have to buy our water!) and bugs (hmmm, bears? Moose? Who is afraid of bugs?) I haven't heard anything to turn me off the idea. Any thoughts?
Hello, Fern acres is a nice place, I live on Oahu but i just bought a house up there on two lots so i have a total of 4 acres, Fern acres is consisted of 2 acre parcels so if you are looking for three acres it might be tough to find, as far as having trees and stuff your in luck because most of Fern acres is heavily forested and it is around 15-20 mins from hilo(depends on how you drive lol) yeah the jobs are bad there but it is in all of Hawaii, now for the electric there is electric there, they have poles running pretty much the whole way down , the thing is depending on how far you build your house from the street or the house that you buy will determine if HELCO will have to put another pole on your property to get it to your house, the roads are pretty good actually, but the more in you live is where the roads get more bad , as far as plumbing you dont have to worry about that, theres the good ol rain, all the houses there run on water catchment, nothing like FREE water and sewer since houses up there either have septic or cesspool, more cesspool though, its beautiful up there, you will love it!

Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
One thing to be aware of is that it rains a lot on that side of the island. Mold, midew and a general damp sticky feeling are terrible at certain times of the year. Also all the greenery, plants and trees are nice but have to be maintained; on 3 acres that's a fulltime job.

These factors and a few others led me to buy in the Ka'u area for the same money as Puna. I've got 3 aces in Hawaiian Ocean View Ranchos that has the most impressive ocean views. The one down side being the commute if you have to work; which I don't.

Good luck.

PS: My neigbor is from Alaska and has been building his retirement home here for the past couple of years.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:22 PM

16 posts, read 66,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
One thing to be aware of is that it rains a lot on that side of the island. Mold, midew and a general damp sticky feeling are terrible at certain times of the year. Also all the greenery, plants and trees are nice but have to be maintained; on 3 acres that's a fulltime job.

These factors and a few others led me to buy in the Ka'u area for the same money as Puna. I've got 3 aces in Hawaiian Ocean View Ranchos that has the most impressive ocean views. The one down side being the commute if you have to work; which I don't.

Good luck.

PS: My neigbor is from Alaska and has been building his retirement home here for the past couple of years.
That it true a huge property is a full time job but if you like it forested its no maintenance at all, before i bought in Fern acres i looked all over the big island, HOVR was one of the places i looked at because it is fairly cheap over there, the landscape is much different there because its more on the south west side which is typically on the hotter side(not that hot though actually comfortable) but it is in lava zone 1 i think? if you google map the area you will see all the flows that litters the landscape on that part of the island, HOVR is actually spread over a few flows, and its pretty much in the middle of no where, also that side of the island tends to get vog more often then other parts of the island especially if the winds whip over there like it usually does, but the views are just amazing!!! cant get any better as far as views, its like a post card back yard. I guess different people have there own views and opinions on where is the right place to live.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:14 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigahshark808 View Post
That it true a huge property is a full time job but if you like it forested its no maintenance at all, before i bought in Fern acres i looked all over the big island, HOVR was one of the places i looked at because it is fairly cheap over there, the landscape is much different there because its more on the south west side which is typically on the hotter side(not that hot though actually comfortable) but it is in lava zone 1 i think? if you google map the area you will see all the flows that litters the landscape on that part of the island, HOVR is actually spread over a few flows, and its pretty much in the middle of no where, also that side of the island tends to get vog more often then other parts of the island especially if the winds whip over there like it usually does, but the views are just amazing!!! cant get any better as far as views, its like a post card back yard. I guess different people have there own views and opinions on where is the right place to live.
Different strokes, right?

After living on Kauai I was tired of the wet weather and trying to keep up with 2 acres of landscaping. The stuff would grew faster than I could cut and haul it away. Living on a pahoehoe lava flow solved that problem; actually it's lava hazard zone 2.

The bottomline as we know it is that the only land that is cheap in the entire state is either in Puna or Ka'u. Both have their good and bad points and it comes down to personal preferences.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:12 AM

392 posts, read 806,640 times
Good luck for you

Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 AM

19 posts, read 54,931 times
Anybody have a ballpark figure for what would you expect to pay for 2.5 acres of land in Waipio Valley?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 AM

2,081 posts, read 5,594,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bahiaboyz View Post
Anybody have a ballpark figure for what would you expect to pay for 2.5 acres of land in Waipio Valley?
Perusing the MLS, I found just 1 parcel for sale in Waipio, 1.4 acre listed for $299K. Cynmkolohe would know more about it than I do.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:37 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
I just checked the MLS for listings in TMK 3-4-9. (That's the Tax Map designation for Waipio Valley. This map shows the TMK zones, etc: http://bit.ly/8LYDCY (broken link))

The only active listing is the one leilaniguy mentioned: 1.4 acres, listed for $299,000. It has been on the market for 134 days. Also, according to the MLS description, there are 2 unpermitted structures on the property that have been used by taro farmers.

I also checked for recent sales, but had to go back to 2008 to find any closings. There were two pieces of land that sold in '08:

--A 23,552 sq ft lot sold for $76,000 in March of '08. This was by an Agreement of Sale.
--A 2.97 acre lot sold for $125,000 in October of '08. This was a Cash sale.

Hope that helps! Feel free to DM me if you would like more info.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:43 PM

68 posts, read 245,140 times
Aloha Cynmkolohe! Do you have any idea of what approx an acre would run somewhere between Hilo and Honokaa? Mahalo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island