U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-01-2009, 01:25 AM

12 posts, read 23,113 times
Default Ah... a worthy opponent?

AFISHWITH-ABITE:
If you aren't able to see the superfluity of IDEA at work in many of its applications, then I have little more I can offer you in the way of persuasion. Yet, I will try. And no, I have nothing against the parents or the professionals and paraprofessionals (I being one) who are receiving compensation for the services they are rendering. The economics are simply irrational: $182K - $200K/child/year. Yes, these kids need help to reach their full potential; but current resources are not being disseminated with any degree of economic efficiency or common sense based on realistic assessments of what those potentials are. Just think... if a generous portion of this same money was to subsidize children "at risk" from poverty or domestic violence, for instance, the potential for them to reach self-sustainability (demonstrated by fulfilling personal responsibilities such as paying rent/mortgage, raising a family, refraining from criminal activity, and contributing to the social welfare) would substantially improve. And who would be the better for it? All of us!!! People with severe developmental disabilities indeed need a voice, but NOT any more than any other vulnerable population, and NOT at the expense of other vulnerable populations. So yes, you heard me correctly. These two kids, and the tens of thousands across the nation much like them (with severe MR diagnoses), are receiving a grossly disproportionate amount of our tax dollars and should not... I repeat, should not be receiving the superfluous volume of service provision they are currently receiving. The panoply of simultaneous servicing per consumer is simply not realistic or proportionate to outcomes. I doubt very seriously that if citizens across this country were to ever be made aware of this, that a majority would continue to endorse such fiscal imbalance and irresponsibility. Having said this, I will continue my loyal tenure of 20+ years in the profession of assisting all vulnerable populations through the various agencies receiving government funding for service provision... until such services are modified or no longer needed. Why? Because this is what I'm trained to do, credentialed to do, and I'm quite good at it (in all modesty). If you were a client of mine, you'd feel like a success long before I presented you with your first challenge. That's my job in a nutshell. It's very rewarding. I highly recommend it to anyone who is not out to get monetarily rich, because you certainly won't. Yet, who better than those like me could possibly see from vantage points of accuracy the improprieties within the human services industry? It is my civic duty to divulge them, even if they cost me my job.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 01:42 AM

3,585 posts, read 5,582,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainakeeper View Post
AFISHWITH-ABITE:
If you aren't able to see the superfluity of IDEA at work in many of its applications, then I have little more I can offer you in the way of persuasion. Yet, I will try. And no, I have nothing against the parents or the professionals and paraprofessionals (I being one) who are receiving compensation for the services they are rendering. The economics are simply irrational: $182K - $200K/child/year. Yes, these kids need help to reach their full potential; but current resources are not being disseminated with any degree of economic efficiency or common sense based on realistic assessments of what those potentials are. Just think... if a generous portion of this same money was to subsidize children "at risk" from poverty or domestic violence, for instance, the potential for them to reach self-sustainability (demonstrated by fulfilling personal responsibilities such as paying rent/mortgage, raising a family, refraining from criminal activity, and contributing to the social welfare) would substantially improve. And who would be the better for it? All of us!!! People with severe developmental disabilities indeed need a voice, but NOT any more than any other vulnerable population, and NOT at the expense of other vulnerable populations. So yes, you heard me correctly. These two kids, and the tens of thousands across the nation much like them (with severe MR diagnoses), are receiving a grossly disproportionate amount of our tax dollars and should not... I repeat, should not be receiving the superfluous volume of service provision they are currently receiving. The panoply of simultaneous servicing per consumer is simply not realistic or proportionate to outcomes. I doubt very seriously that if citizens across this country were to ever be made aware of this, that a majority would continue to endorse such fiscal imbalance and irresponsibility. Having said this, I will continue my loyal tenure of 20+ years in the profession of assisting all vulnerable populations through the various agencies receiving government funding for service provision... until such services are modified or no longer needed. Why? Because this is what I'm trained to do, credentialed to do, and I'm quite good at it (in all modesty). If you were a client of mine, you'd feel like a success long before I presented you with your first challenge. That's my job in a nutshell. It's very rewarding. I highly recommend it to anyone who is not out to get monetarily rich, because you certainly won't. Yet, who better than those like me could possibly see from vantage points of accuracy the improprieties within the human services industry? It is my civic duty to divulge them, even if they cost me my job.
I appreciate the courage that you have exhibited with this well thought out response. I truly sympathize with parents that have special needs children, yet I agree with you at the same time. Where does the line get drawn? I don't have the answer.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:19 PM

263 posts, read 532,506 times
ainakeeper - If that's how you truly feel about those disabled kids then I have nothing else to say because I can't fathom thinking that way.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:56 PM

5,771 posts, read 9,290,922 times
On a humanity type of outlook, we need to educate these folks to fit within the society. On an accountant's way of thinking, putting this level of resources into someone who will never be able to repay doesn't work. Is it wise to put resources into disadvantaged kids at the expense of the education of the general population of kids? I personally don't know and it might be worth another thread, this particular thread, though is supposed to be about what life in Puna is like now.

I'm seeing things slow down a lot in Puna and the general Hilo area. Not quite as slow as they were after sugar left, but getting close to that level. There is a lot less daily migration to work in the Kona district from the Hilo/Puna district, which is a good thing, IMHO. The workers didn't get an equitable recompense for their travel time and costs. There is more academic activity in Hilo, small shops catering to college kids, more college age kids around, etc. That's a very good thing. Having some of the Hilo/Puna economic engine switching from tourism/construction to higher education is a much more sustainable way.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:20 PM

3,585 posts, read 5,582,592 times
Nice response, hotzcatz. I agree - where does the line get drawn and who makes that decision?

I think it does relate to life in Puna right now - I have a near genius level kid who can't get any resources at all applied to him. All we get is "We're looking into it, we don't have any budget, etc. to help children like him." . Since his test scores are nearly 100 percentile in every one of the standardized tests, he is helping the school greatly in meeting the average yearly progress. You would think that alone would merit some extra help?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:25 PM

1,375 posts, read 4,256,481 times
A Twitter friend just posted this link from Hawaii Business magazine: Big Island Big Ideas - Hawaii Business - November 2009 - Hawaii

"Where outsiders see a crippled tourism industry, high unemployment and reduced real estate investment, these local leaders see lots of big projects starting or on the horizon, a community consensus that is stronger than ever, and an abundance of visionary but realistic ideas...."

There are many good ideas in there, for Puna and the rest of the Big Island. The challenge is implementing them.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:03 AM

115 posts, read 293,491 times
I liked the article and the ideas. I believe that the big island needs to have more manufacturing of products to sell to all the islands instead of importing. The big island cannot rely on tourism and can become the mecca for supplying products made from Hawaii to keep the money here.

All I hear from locals is we have to get it from Oahu or elsewhere. We have the resources, the talent and the work staff right here to become a major player then all those products that we have to ship in would have to lower prices and sell more at a volume to the islands which in turn would make the cost of living acceptable to the locals. Now this is a broad stroke idea but can work. Don't get me wrong and we still need the tourism bucks but if you read the history of when the islands were the major producers of pineapple and sugar cane the economy was booming with more people working and had more money to spend.

Hopefully you get my idea and what I think Puna's economy can do

Old 11-03-2009, 01:53 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,841,037 times
Aloha,
Cyn you post some of the best things.

I read the link and I like the way they are thinking and the people that are leading this. I do think they need to start a town hall meeting thing to include the public input. Without public input you loose public support. I would love to be included in these meetings but i'm still out in NY watching a blind Governor run into walls fixing a State that just wants to raise taxes. Back to the point before the Moderator gets click happy. The opportunity that is staring the Big Island in the face is change and change is for the most part good I do hope this isn't passed up by the powers that be or the public out there wanting it.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:44 PM

15 posts, read 24,733 times
Be careful what you read - some people are always in a depression with the cup half empty and running out rapidly. You would not get new stores being built and proposed and new housing, police station, fire station, under construction if an area was falling apart economically. Things have slowed down, but the area is still growing. Real Estate prices are down from the all time highs but not as far down some places in California or Florida. Big Island home sales rise, prices drop - Pacific Business News (Honolulu):
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island