U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:57 AM

1,450 posts, read 2,335,277 times
I agree with everyone else also. Hawaii isn't a place to move to unless you have been there and spent time. I am only a part timer at this time.

I can't live without rivers and streams to go fishing in or go miles and miles on my horse. Main thing. It is big enough to drive around and get to totally many differnt environments really cool in 5 minutes to change to a differnt climate but in a day you can tour the whole island. Night life (if) ends manily at 9pm.. food bars etc. No long summer nights = sunset in winter around 5:30pm summer I believe maybe around 6:30.No family it can be really lonely but people are really nice and will include you to BBQ's bring you in .. Walmart becomes a good store and walk in with live band singing Hawaiian music. Wait for a shipment for what you want or like a portable BBQ they don't show up till after Christmas.

But if you came with (no offense) NY attitude - direct and agressive it will not work. I am an agressive personality that had to make myself be very low key and quiet. It is an a ordeal to move over and decide you don't like it. I really strongly suggest you come to the islands before you decide it is a place you want to be.

Now all the good things - Its all good! The island is a healing island and you feel great never being really cold.- you will learn to wear a coat or sweatshirt when it gets to 70's.. smells amazing, air is clean (other than vog) people incredible, water and Pele are amazing, avacodo's the size of a football, ONO fish yummy, food limited but incredible, whales what more needs to be said. Everything moves on a really really really slow pace....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM

460 posts, read 789,551 times
I'm surprised by those sunset times that you mentioned, NWCountrygal. I would've thought that at Hawaii's latitude, the sunsets would be later. I know on the mainland east coast, the farther south you go, the later the sunset.
No offense taken by your comment about NY attitude... but, I think it's a common misconception by people who don't live in NY that all New Yorkers are loud, arrogant, pushy and speak with a "NY accent". While I can speak up for myself when I need to, I'm generally a quiet, easygoing person. Despite the fact that I was born in the NYC area and have lived in the NYC suburbs for most of my life, I have no discernible accent. In fact, when people from other states meet me for the first time, they are often surprised that I "don't sound like a New Yorker", lol.
Even if I don't relocate to the Big Island, it does sound like the type of place I'd like to visit and explore sometime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island