Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 09:23 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,159 times

Advertisements

In a convertible in Hawaii it will take about 60 minutes to turn into a cooked lobster. Couple that with the wind and noise...

Anyone that thinks they're going to drive around Hawaii with the top down most of the time is kidding themselves.

The BI is big, rent something that's comfortable or that 4-wheel drive you wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 09:26 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,222 times
I'd have to agree.

And on Hamakua side, you're likely to have the top up anyway at some point

Old 12-31-2009, 09:35 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Since there are many people who enter the Waipio Valley everyday despite warnings, I'll add this info in the hope it prevents an accident. I have gone down into the valley dozens of times over the years, but never in a "lightweight" SUV. I get nervous every time I go down and back up.

Anyone desiring to drive in the Waipio Valley must have a vehicle with a low-range transfer case. Many of the typical SUV's do not have a low-range transfer case. The Jeeps and a few of the larger Ford and GMC SUV's do.

The low-range feature does two very important things for you. It keeps the vehicle speed down by allowing the engine to help slow you down, thus saving your brakes.

Downhill: Before going down at the top of the hill in the parking area: You engage the transfer case into low-range and put the transmission into the lowest gear available. TEST to make sure it is in low-range. Idle down the hill as much as possible. DO NOT ride the brake pedal. Use the pedal firmly and only for a few seconds at a time. This allows the vehicle to slow way down or to a stop and lets the brakes cool between applications.
If you overheat the brakes you could lose most or all braking ability. If you begin to lose brakes or control - steer into the cliff to stop the vehicle. Better to crash than die, right?

When in the valley, take care to notice large rocks and the depth of the stream and puddles. These puddles are deceptively deep, never seem to ever dry out and in rainy weather can nearly swallow smaller vehicles. Really. Be mindful that there are people that live down there. Don't trespass and don't drive wildly and tear up their road.

Uphill: Again, only in low-range and in the lowest gear the transmission has to offer you.
Try to keep constant movement and do not try to idle up the hill. If you are driving an automatic, you will cook the transmission fluid. Give it some gas and try to maintain at least 5mph going up. If it is a low powered vehicle, (as in 4 cylinder) it may struggle to make it up the hill. Occasionally, some do not make it. If yours stalls, or you begin having transmission trouble, get to the side and move the wheels so that if you begin to move backwards that the back end of the vehicle will crunch into the cliff side. Better to trash the vehicle than plunge over the edge.

(I'll try to add some pictures later that I have taken over the years)

Old 12-31-2009, 09:42 PM

I live on Kauai, have property in Ka'u and visit 5-6 times a year. I used to rent an economy car but the driving distance from Hilo in a basic car was too much for me. Now I rent a midsize for a little more and drive in comfort.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 PM

Here are a few pictures of the valley. Some are a few years old.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:17 PM

Great pictures, thanks.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:23 AM

62 posts, read 267,369 times
Default Yes, get it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowNC View Post
Hello -- I'm preparing for a trip to visit the Big Island in March and am seeing information that makes me wonder if my husband and I need to rent a 4-wheel drive during our week-long stay there. I thought I would turn to the local residents for advice!

We want to spend a couple of days driving around the island to visit the various natural and historical highlights, and don't want to be too limited by the fact that we're in an inadequate vehicle (would like to visit the active volcano, several beaches, Ka Le, Akaka Falls, and other locations). We've decided to stay near Capt. Cook for the week, away from the resorts.

Now, my husband has family members just outside Kailua-Kona who may be able to drive us to some of the "trickier" areas, but I don't want to depend on them or change their schedules if we decide to visit, say, the beach with green sand that the tour books indicate you would need a 4-wheel drive for. We are also an active couple, and expect to hike during our time there -- we don't need to take a vehicle beach front every time (but realistically, we don't want a 3-5 mile walk every time we want to visit the prime locations either).

Lastly, I have also heard that most rental companies will not let you take their vehicles on Saddle Road (or your insurance is voided), but if you rent a 4-wheel drive, you increase your chances of being able to take the vehicle along that road. I'm honestly not sure yet if we really WANT to drive on Saddle Road, but again, with this likely once-in-a-lifetime visit, I don't want to limit us too much either.

In your opinion -- what do you think? Is it worth the extra money or will we likely be fine with a standard car? Any recommendations for rental car companies? I used to travel a lot for a previous job so I've had experience with virtually all the main companies -- just not in Hawaii! I'd appreciate your thoughts/ experiences. Thank you!

You absolutely need 4wd to go to the green sand beach, unless you want to make the harsh 4-mile walk. The drive itself is an adventure, though. I frequently had to get out and wave my husband through some of the giant ruts. You need it to go down into Wai Pio Valley unless you want the thigh-burning walk down and back up - I've done it both ways, and honestly, that drive scares the beejesus out of me. You need it to see Mookini Heiau - that's a boring walk if not. And even if you have it on Saddle Road, you may find that some companies put a speed governor on your car (as ours did) and you just can't make it past 9,000 ft on Mauna Kea. (Harpers car rental is more lax with their policies, btw.) Just beware, none of the car washes on the island will let you take a soft-top Jeep through, so if you get muddy you better come up with a good story!

Old 01-01-2010, 08:28 AM

124 posts, read 326,383 times
OK, you've convinced me, especially with the pictures, not to attempt to drive down into Waipi'o Valley, with ANY vehicle!! I sort of doubt we'd have wanted to do that anyway... will probably just hit the lookout -- we're going to be on a drive-thru tour of that part of the island, spending more of our time in the southern areas instead.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:02 PM

Driving up to the peak on Mauna Kea doesn't require 4 wheel drive year round. The road isn't muddy. It is simply washboard smooth crushed lava (cinders). The reasons for needing a true 4x4 are the same as why you need it to go down into the Waipio Valley.

The climb is steep so low range 4x4 helps your vehicle make it up the mountain. With the thin air, many vehicles have a tough time above 10,000 feet or so. Low range lets the engine get to a higher rpm at a lower speed. Going downhill, you put the transfer case into low and let engine braking do most of the work. You also have the issues with brakes because a several mile downhill run will fry brakes. Besides the part about having no brakes left and miles to go to get back down from the peak being scary if not possibly deadly, the rental car people aren't stupid.

If you return a vehicle claiming "bad brakes, mechanical issues, etc" it will be checked out as to the what and why... If those brake rotors are cooked, and the tell-tale color of the Mauna Kea road dust, dirt and cinders are all over the bottom the car... you are getting a repair bill.

Winter on the peak adds another danger. Temps routinely get down near zero Fahrenheit with winds having been clocked near 100 mph.Add in sudden snow storms and you have true blizzard-like conditions. Note that all of the road signs have large holes in them. This is to help let the wind go thru so the sign doesn't break.

On the way to the peak:

Old 01-01-2010, 02:38 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Winter on the peak adds another danger. Temps routinely get down near zero Fahrenheit
Actually, not quite. Lowest temperature ever recorded was 12F. The average minimum winter temperature each night is ~27 to 30 degrees F.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/state.extremes.html

Quote:
with winds having been clocked near 100 mph.
Actually, about 2/3 of that. From a study in the mid-'90s:

Quote:
the highest measured wind velocity on the Mauna Kea/VLBA site was 28.8 m/s (64 mph).
http://www.alma.nrao.edu/memos/html-...9/memo159.html

Wind speeds ~100mph have been measured on Mauna Loa on average of every 5-6 years.

Quote:
Add in sudden snow storms and you have true blizzard-like conditions.
True indeed, even with only 60-70 mph winds!

Quote:
Note that all of the road signs have large holes in them. This is to help let the wind go thru so the sign doesn't break.
Nice pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island