U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2010, 02:03 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,842,374 times
Default Moss?

Aloha,

Ok Ok try wait!

ok ok now I'm renting and part of my rent is to do some yard work. Hilo town I have moss on the driveway and its kinda slippery whats the easiest and cheapest way to get rid of it? and I mean cheap!

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 02:09 PM

1,127 posts, read 3,852,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
I'm renting and part of my rent is to do some yard work. Hilo town I have moss on the driveway and its kinda slippery whats the easiest and cheapest way to get rid of it? and I mean cheap!
Do you mean real moss - the kind with roots, and growth on top, that has to be scraped off, or green algae, which is a green/black thin coating?

Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM

328 posts, read 632,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Aloha,

Ok Ok try wait!

ok ok now I'm renting and part of my rent is to do some yard work. Hilo town I have moss on the driveway and its kinda slippery whats the easiest and cheapest way to get rid of it? and I mean cheap!

Mahalo
I had the same issue at my rental. I just went to hpm and rented a power washer for 4 hours. I forget the price($35???) but it took about 2 hours. Worked like a charm. I'm sure someone else has a cheaper method out there.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:23 PM

9,643 posts, read 6,735,048 times
I have to do a combo of two things. hire a guy with a steam cleaner to steam it off. or sometimes I get out there (like I did today) with a bucket full of cleaners, and scrub, that gets rid of the worst of it, but it is in no way as good as the steam cleaning does.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:47 PM

3,591 posts, read 5,587,311 times
Mix up a bucket with about 10% bleach and water. Pour onto algae and use a broom to work it around some. Let it dry. It will kill it off. A few days later it will just start to disappear.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:47 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,131,152 times
Default Where does the driveway drain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Mix up a bucket with about 10% bleach and water. Pour onto algae and use a broom to work it around some. Let it dry. It will kill it off. A few days later it will just start to disappear.

If the driveway drains in to the lawn or beds, I'd be careful about any kind of chemical solution: bleach, TSP (tri-sodium phosphate), JoMax (if you think it might be mold or mildew instead of moss), or OxyClean. All of these will work, but except in careful concentrations, they may kill grass or plants, and possibly poison the soil for future planting. If the driveway has a discrete drain, it's not so much of a problem. (Unless that empties on to an area that's planted.)

You don't want to impress your landlord by killing off the landscaping. If the driveway drains into a lawn or bed, you might want to look into using a hydrogen peroxide solution, which can actually be beneficial for plantings.

Best of luck.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:02 PM

4,101 posts, read 3,041,913 times
How about vinegar? Just don't try mixing it with bleach. Vinegar + bleach = chlorine gas = death

Old 03-09-2010, 06:23 PM

1,234 posts, read 2,842,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HankDfrmSD View Post
Do you mean real moss - the kind with roots, and growth on top, that has to be scraped off, or green algae, which is a green/black thin coating?
Its kind of the thick stuff I think why is because the owner doesn't do and yard work I'm suprised the house hasn't been completely over inside and out.

Just ask MDand3boys he's seen it!

Mahalo for the answers

Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM

3,591 posts, read 5,587,311 times
Yes, I have seen it and I can report that the front bushes drew first blood. I think I got even though when the chainsaw got used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island