Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 06:11 PM

125 posts, read 68,186 times

Advertisements

I see a couple of Game Management areas on the Big Island. Can anyone tell me what kind of hunting there is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
I hear a lot about hunting wild pigs, or is it wild boar?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:53 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Wild: pig, turkey, pheasant, goat, sheep, cow (yes, wild cow) and lots of other stuff, too.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:51 AM

145 posts, read 451,060 times
Wild...cows? o_O

Old 05-19-2010, 10:11 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,897,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I hear a lot about hunting wild pigs, or is it wild boar?
There is very good hunting on Big Island of several types. There is excellent boar hunting. There are a greater variety of game birds, as well, than can be found most anywhere in one locale on the mainland. Goat hunting is quite good too. The wild cow is a very limited hunt, pretty nearly restricted to the Parker Ranch guided hunts. The "cows" are old long-horns that went feral and have become moderately crafty ... VERY expensive to hunt those by the time you factor in the fees for taking the big game ... and I doubt you'd find it the most exciting or fulfilling of available game. Still, if you want to fill your freezer, that's a Lot of meat for one shot ;-)

All said above, much of the bird hunting, and certainly the goat and pig, can be done on public lands -- but it is rugged if you aren't local (and even if you are, really). The guided hunts on Parker Ranch are very well done if you can afford the guide and fees (which are fair, in my opinion). The guide there is named Patrick -- forgotten his last name. Took my son and me out in about 2005, I think it was. Very successful days for bird, goat, and pig, all. Patrick runs excellent dogs to point the birds.

We also did a pig hunt with locals and their pig-dogs ... no guns ... just on foot with hands and knives. Primal and what hunting is really all about.

Good luck.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:54 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
It's probably cheaper to buy a young tender steer and "hunt" it in your back field than to go wandering all over hill and dale to shoot an old tough one. What with the drought and all, folks are selling cattle real cheap right now. I think there is also a waiting list at the slaughterhouse for available time slots so "hunting" a steer bought on Craig's List might be a good way to fill the freezer.

There are a lot of folks who hunt pig to feed their families. Our neighbor has always had a pack of hunting dogs, but now they've built a big smoker for pig meat and they are out hunting a lot more than they used to be. They don't sell the smoke meat so I'm sure it's supporting their immediate family as well as aunties, uncles and cousins. Some other neighbors up mountain are doing a lot more hunting now they are all unemployed, too.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:34 PM

209 posts, read 722,114 times
Do they use bird dogs to hunt pheasant on the big island, like we do here on the mainland?

Mahalo,
Kelly4Sun

Old 05-19-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Do they use bird dogs to hunt pheasant on the big island, like we do here on the mainland?

Mahalo,
Kelly4Sun
yes ... on the guided hunts certainly ... public open range is available for you to use your own dogs, as well ... but the hunting is fairly limited for pheasant unless you are very familiar with the areas.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:14 PM

209 posts, read 722,114 times
Is Pheasant the only game bird on The Big Island? Do you have a game bird called Chukar there by chance?

Mahalo,
Kelly4Sun

Old 05-19-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Is Pheasant the only game bird on The Big Island? Do you have a game bird called Chukar there by chance?

Mahalo,
Kelly4Sun
yes ... here's a link to the list of game birds on Parker Ranch ... you can also link the other hunts from there

Hunting in Hawaii at Parker Ranch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island