Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:46 AM

4,918 posts, read 22,672,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Occasionally, when you see idiots of any style trying to ride dolphins or sea turtles, it's really hard not to swear. When you see them walking on top of a heiau or making a U-Turn in the middle of Palani road just beyond Henry because they, evidently, do not think there is a driveway or side street within the next 100 miles, it's hard not to be a little peeved.
Yep, thats it. You also hear so much because there are just more tourist to say things. If a place get 1,000 visitors a day and 10% complain that's 100 people. But if they get only 100 people and only 25 complain, that's 25%. More visitors, more chances of hearing bad things.

Old 06-03-2010, 11:06 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Yep, thats it. You also hear so much because there are just more tourist to say things. If a place get 1,000 visitors a day and 10% complain that's 100 people. But if they get only 100 people and only 25 complain, that's 25%. More visitors, more chances of hearing bad things.
We didn't have any issues in Kona. We went to all the local places, but it might have something to do with the fact that I grew up on Oahu and can easily revert back in to the Pidgeon!

Old 06-03-2010, 11:49 AM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,159 times
So no one just tuning in gets the wrong idea, Kailua Kona is a very nice area and people there are no better or worse then any other area in Hawaii, IMO.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 PM

52 posts, read 208,828 times
People no matter their roots can do and say things that need not be said or done. How to be a good human being is not always taught and practiced in life. It makes me ashamed. I try my hardest not to show my anger to them as sometimes that is what a person wants ,negative reactions to negative actions.I have lived mainland and island it happens everywhere. Human beings are fallible and most of the time their choices effect others,both good and bad.

Old 06-03-2010, 02:31 PM

312 posts, read 1,373,807 times
i chose to move to Kona because it was a great mix of rural hawai'i but with enough industry and jobs to support ourselves. i also find it welcoming for this very reason. like anywhere, there are rude or unhappy people that take it out on others, but overall it is a nice place with nice people. i've never felt singled out, bullied, or anything anymore than i have on the mainland. maybe it's just the aloha spirit, but i feel that people are probably nicer than normal in kona (of course most of hawai'i too).

i will agree with the "you do stupid stuff or act rude as a tourist and you will get treated poorly" idea, ten fold. i've done a lot of volunteering at Kaloko-Honokohau and up on Mauna Kea and tourists can do some STUPID things. things that it should be every humans common sense not to do. i say if you are capable enough of affoding and going on a trip to hawai'i you should know better. because of my expirience volunteering (which is, of course, one of the best expiriences of my life) i can completely understand how easy it can be to want to be rude or yell at someone for doing something silly.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:14 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,011,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
That's something, I can remember (2007) having to have a reservation to get into Roy's also there were so many people and it was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.

I love the food at Roy's.
Yeah, the food was good! Kinda decorative, too, although a bit on the expensive side. The green salad was excellent, the lamb meat loaf was interesting, my friends had abalone with mushrooms and said it was hard to tell the two apart. The menu was difficult to decipher, though. Between the fixed price meal, the different prices for appetizers and entrees and not a lot of distinction between what each was some of the folks in our group were less than pleased than what they received because they thought they'd been ordering something else. The first thing the waiter did was try to explain how to read the menu, too, so I would guess it's been an ongoing difficulty. What they did get was good, it's just not what they had really wanted.

We just walked up to the door, a party of six, right around six thirty, seven pm or so and didn't have to have reservations or wait more than five minutes. The restaurant was about one quarter full when we arrived and was about half full when we left. Not very noisy at all, with that amount of folks eating.

I didn't get any feeling of "anti-tourist" while we were there, and we were even there along with some real tourists, but there wasn't a lot of personal interaction, either. It was sorta standoffish and impersonal service. Not bad service, just not happy personal service. Nobody really happy and smiling and glad to see us. Kind of like when you are in a hospital and you are an "appendix" instead of someone having an appendix removed, if you can see the distinction. I suspect the folks still employed over there are probably a bit worried about their jobs and are trying to be "proper" to keep them.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:06 PM

52 posts, read 208,828 times
People are people and some just do not have common sense and pride.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:41 PM

9 posts, read 24,502 times
I just spent 6 weeks on the Big Island, & everyone was helpful, nice, & never had a bad word to say. I was lucky enough to spend a week in each area, going to most of the beaches, visiting every little town. I had a lot of questions about moving. I spent a few days Camping & never had a problem either. I travel a lot now that I'm retired, So being a divorced 50'ish women I always travel with safety in mind. All of the "locals" I met were wonderful and I was always invited to eat with them, so I didn't have to sit alone. After this trip I decided to move in the next year. I believe a smile and nice manners always go a long way. Aloha... They called themselves "locals" and helped me in the water to swim by the turtles.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:54 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,069,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxWin13 View Post
I just spent 6 weeks on the Big Island, & everyone was helpful, nice, & never had a bad word to say. I was lucky enough to spend a week in each area, going to most of the beaches, visiting every little town. I had a lot of questions about moving. I spent a few days Camping & never had a problem either. I travel a lot now that I'm retired, So being a divorced 50'ish women I always travel with safety in mind. All of the "locals" I met were wonderful and I was always invited to eat with them, so I didn't have to sit alone. After this trip I decided to move in the next year. I believe a smile and nice manners always go a long way. Aloha... They called themselves "locals" and helped me in the water to swim by the turtles.
Outstanding!!

Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,419,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxWin13 View Post
I just spent 6 weeks on the Big Island, & everyone was helpful, nice, & never had a bad word to say.
Excellent! Aloha and Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island