Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM

68 posts, read 200,261 times

Advertisements

Hi, All.

I have a 3-year old male whiteface cockatiel who is left alone a lot, and I am considering getting him a pal to keep him company. Please, let me say right up front that while I respect the knowledgeable folks here and this post will raise many other issues, I only want to discuss the question of adding another cockatiel at this time. I'm going to present my reasons and expectations on this issue, and would appreciate your responses to only those elements. I mean no offense - it's just that I've covered many of these other topics many times before, both here and elsewhere.

My bird is the first bird I've ever had and I got him when he was about 10 weeks old. Aside from providing companionship, I am hoping that another cockatiel might act as a model for healthy behaviors he lacks because of my novice in his selection and training. For example, I got him from a breeder who had weaned him to a seed-only diet and gave me no advice on feeding. Even with the help of my vet and other bird lovers I have only been able to add cooked rice, dry Chex cereal, scrambled egg, and the occasional nibble of raw red chard or baby spinach to his menu over the last 3 years. I would love it if he could live with a bird who was more adventurous with food and enjoys a proper pellet-based diet so he might acquire a broader palate.

I would also like to see if watching me interact with another bird would make him more open to being touched in places other than on his head and neck. I was a bit afraid of hurting him when he was small and new, and I didn't want to overwhelm him. He was over three months old before I tried to pet his body and he remains very skittish about it to this day. He wants to be with me and relishes (demands!) affection, but he has some non-negotiable boundaries and though I accept that it may never change, I'd like to see if he would loosen up if he routinely saw another bird enjoy more handling.

I have never seen my little 'tiel interact directly with another bird, so I have no clear idea of what to expect. He tolerates my mild-mannered little dog until she gets too close - then he'll flatten his body out into what I call his "fighter plane" pose and zoom in to nip at her. He can be cranky and defensive with me and he will bite if I crowd him uninvited. He can be very sweet, too, but if I'm being honest, most of my friends think he's a bratty little bugger. But are these necessarily signs that he would bully another bird?

And if I got a buddy for him, should I get a baby that I can raise with the improved skills and knowledge I have acquired, or should I try to find an older bird that already has the qualities I'm looking for? Would he be more likely to accept an older bird over a younger one? And should I go for a male or female? I would have no problem removing/destroying any eggs they produced together, but apart from mating issues, does the sex of the other bird matter like it does with some animals?

Sorry this is so long, but I wanted to give you lots to work with. So what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 05:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
lets see:

seeing other birds eat: it SHOULD encorage him to try new things, but some are incredibly stubborn.

interaction with other bird: again it may calm him down...it may not...and having a buddy MAY have the opposite effect completly and they could bond to eachother and become very untrusting of people...

the "fight and nip" poses is fear based, its the "i cant get away" pose, i dont think it would indicate additioanl agression towards another bird as long as intros are done correctly.

the "sex" question. same sex pairs are often very much just as happy as opposite sex pairs but without the breeding...
occasionally males will hump each other but usually sexual behaviour (like plucking) is reduced greatly in same sex pairs...
aslo laying eggs repeatedly (even with them not hatching) can take alot ouf of a hen...so id suggest going with a same sex partner for your little guy.

as for age: i think a fully abundance weaned young teil would be your best bet, id stick to his age or under as hes more likley to accept a younger bird (and the other bird more likely to acept status)

some things to remember: getting him a buddy may backfire, they may bond to eacother and decide humans are just there to wait on them...many people keep multiple birds who stay perfectly frinedly, but you wont nessicarily be his best buddy anymore.

if you plan to house them together, get a cage 3 times bigger than the minimum cage size for one, the more space they have the less likley to fight.

when you bring new bird home, quarrentein for a minimum of 2 weeks.
and when introducing start small, place them in the same room but cages so they can hear but not see eachother, and over the space of a few weeks more them towards eachother so eventually they are caged side by side...
only after they seem interested but not over interested should you introduce them on nutral ground, outside of the cage, make sure they both have safe places they can escape to should things not go well...
while most birds accept new flock members readily, some never will so you have to be prepared on a just in case basis that they may never be able to live together.

otherwise i think having multiple birds is a great idea, they are flock animals and a human can never replace a real bird...

my sever macaw will always be a single bird...hes pretty certain hes a dog and while interested in other birds, also seems to show agression

but im picking up a buddy for my lineolated this weekend, shes was hand raised but has similar issues to your teil (picky eater, warey of hands ect) and HATES commign out of her cage...so ive found a frined for her who, hopefully, after intros will be her budy, and provide for her in a way that i cant offer.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:04 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
I doubt another bird would make him more friendly at all. they will be quite content to be with one another. I also think it is too late for the bird to get over being petted on his back. take him for the personality that he is. if you get him a buddy that buddy is for him to have companionship, it won't make them both be more affectionate with you.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:18 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I doubt another bird would make him more friendly at all. they will be quite content to be with one another. I also think it is too late for the bird to get over being petted on his back. take him for the personality that he is. if you get him a buddy that buddy is for him to have companionship, it won't make them both be more affectionate with you.

My vet is always telling me, "Do NOT pet the back. That is sexual! Head and neck only!"

He's an avian vet, Diplomate ABVP Avian Practice, has been interviewed by BirdTalk, etc., so that's something to consider.

Sautille, maybe your bird is telling you to stop making passes at him!

Old 01-15-2011, 12:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
that is absolutly true, a birds rump (back/tail area is highly sensitive and a "sexual" zone) by petting a bird on the back/tail your essentially initiating mating behaviour and your teil is quite likely saying "hey lady i dont swing that way" since it would be a male to intiate.

some birds love their sides/under their wings scritched ect, but MOST birds, especially if sexually mature are more than a little upset by the prospect. lol

as i said, i know many people who keep their birds in pairs or groups and their birds are still very human friendly BUT they do have to put alot of work and time in daily to keep it that way...and they are certainly no longer the most important thing in the birds life, instead becomming more another member of the flock.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:35 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,426,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
My vet is always telling me, "Do NOT pet the back. That is sexual! Head and neck only!"

He's an avian vet, Diplomate ABVP Avian Practice, has been interviewed by BirdTalk, etc., so that's something to consider.

Sautille, maybe your bird is telling you to stop making passes at him!
I did not know that!! We had a quaker that adored my husband. He always pet her on her head, neck AND back. After a while we noticed that when he had her on his arm or shoulder she'd do the 'mating squat' (at least that's what we called it) where they squat down, fluff the feathers and make their noises. I guess now I know why. And I know why she detested me so much. I was competition.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:46 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,298 times
I would say, yes, get another bird. I think birds are social creatures and benefit from having the same thing around them. Not sure about any of your other questions. Maybe get some advice from the breeder that you got him from. We had parakeets growing up, and they enjoyed the company of their other bird friend.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:33 PM

9 posts, read 37,053 times
You most definitely should.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:27 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina1987 View Post
You most definitely should.
See, I thought the thread was "So should I get a second cocktail?" and the only correct answer would obviously be "You most definitely should".

Old 01-22-2011, 10:46 AM

68 posts, read 200,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
See, I thought the thread was "So should I get a second cocktail?" and the only correct answer would obviously be "You most definitely should".

Hahahahahaha! Thanks for the information, everybody. It was very helpful, especially "You most definitely should." I think I'll take that advice to the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds