U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 01:54 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,215,478 times

Advertisements

A cat is a natural predator of a bird. Why is it that humans always seem to want to interfere in nature? And, something tells me that these people here who are a little more tolerant for killing cats than the rest of us are going to cite this annoying bird's passing as yet another excuse for killing.

Folks, you can slice it or dice it any way you want, but the bottom line is that a cat has every right to eat a bird for lunch, dinner, and breakfast all on the same day and no one has the right to kill a cat no matter how big the cat's appetite may be. And, if an owl gets a cat, I'll be the first person to support his right to have done so. Its called nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 01:57 PM

23,990 posts, read 30,106,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
What's dumb about protecting your babies? If animals didn't have that instinct, there wouldn't be any life except plants. Yes the cat had a long fuse. I commend its restraint, OK? And life and death is part of nature, but that doesn't mean it's funny.
i thought it was more interesting than funny, but if someone wants to find it funny im not going to cry about it.

i dont know if its appropriate for me to judge the bird's actions as dumb or not (looked dumb to me) but it certainly looked like he was cruising for a bruising. even if the car was attempting to kill her babies (which it didnt seem to be doing) then some animals do choose to run and/or hide when a much more powerful predator comes around.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:05 PM

7,330 posts, read 13,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
A cat is a natural predator of a bird. Why is it that humans always seem to want to interfere in nature? And, something tells me that these people here who are a little more tolerant for killing cats than the rest of us are going to cite this annoying bird's passing as yet another excuse for killing.

Folks, you can slice it or dice it any way you want, but the bottom line is that a cat has every right to eat a bird for lunch, dinner, and breakfast all on the same day and no one has the right to kill a cat no matter how big the cat's appetite may be. And, if an owl gets a cat, I'll be the first person to support his right to have done so. Its called nature.
Wilson, I have 2 cats, and one of them has killed birds before. I love her just as much anyway. She's a cat and she didn't know any better. A cat is going to be a cat. It's my responsibility to not let her get hold of them. A cat doesn't have the intellect to have respect for life, but we do. And we should step in and help out when we can.,

Old 04-11-2011, 02:38 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,844,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
A cat is a natural predator of a bird. Why is it that humans always seem to want to interfere in nature?
BECAUSE cats are not native to the USA. The birds where cats originated had hundreds of thousands of years to adapt to cat predation. Our birds have not. How can so many people not know this? There were no cats preying on birds here until they were brought over on ships.

Quote:
And, something tells me that these people here who are a little more tolerant for killing cats than the rest of us are going to cite this annoying bird's passing as yet another excuse for killing.
What's the difference? Same mentality of cat owners tolerant of their cats killing song birds.

Quote:
Folks, you can slice it or dice it any way you want, but the bottom line is that a cat has every right to eat a bird for lunch, dinner, and breakfast all on the same day and no one has the right to kill a cat no matter how big the cat's appetite may be.
Only in it's home land. The cat has *no right* to destroy the fauna of our country. We who live here have a RIGHT to enjoy our songbirds and to make sure they survive for our grandchildren to enjoy.

Quote:
And, if an owl gets a cat, I'll be the first person to support his right to have done so. Its called nature.
Bird of prey predation on cats will never equal cat predation on birds not equipped to deal with them. Let me guess... you're the type who lets their cats roam the neighborhood and if they get killed you just go out and get another cat. If they bother the neighbors you ignore the complaints. If the bird population drops where you live, and it's been proven it does where cats are roaming at will, you couldn't care less..........

Old 04-11-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Wilson, I have 2 cats, and one of them has killed birds before. I love her just as much anyway. She's a cat and she didn't know any better. A cat is going to be a cat. It's my responsibility to not let her get hold of them. A cat doesn't have the intellect to have respect for life, but we do. And we should step in and help out when we can.,
AMEN! A well thought out sensible reply.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:45 PM

23,990 posts, read 30,106,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
Only in it's home land. The cat has *no right* to destroy the fauna of our country. We who live here have a RIGHT to enjoy our songbirds and to make sure they survive for our grandchildren to enjoy.
this is nonsense. its of little signficance whether the cat is an original resident of america. its here now. birds better beware at their own peril.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i thought it was more interesting than funny, but if someone wants to find it funny im not going to cry about it.

i dont know if its appropriate for me to judge the bird's actions as dumb or not (looked dumb to me) but it certainly looked like he was cruising for a bruising.
By trying to protect his family? How can none of you know about the damage done by introduced species? It's been know for over 50 years now at least, the damage they do. It's been on TV and in the papers. Kids learn it in school. The bird, without having thousands of years to adapt to cat predation was unable to understand the cat's actions. What's so difficult to understand? A bird from where cat's originated would have understood the cat's actions and left it alone.

Quote:
...even if the car was attempting to kill her babies (which it didnt seem to be doing) then some animals do choose to run and/or hide when a much more powerful predator comes around.
See above. Evolution and adaptation takes many thousands of years. It doesn't happen in the few years cats have been in the USA.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM

2,806 posts, read 6,501,464 times
Quote:
That's because cats are not native to the USA. Birds cannot read their signals like they can mammals they evolved with. The bird was desperate to drive the cat off. Do you say the same thing when people kill their neighbor's cat/cats that annoy them?
So let me get this straight...my saying that a bird annoying a cat to the point of attack is now the same as saying a human has the right to kill a cat? You're grasping at straws here, and you know very well that I would never condone a human killing any creature as small as a cat...a mountain lion or a wolf attacking my animals, yes, I would kill if I had to in order to protect them, just like they would kill ME if I threatened their cubs or pups. Sheesh ! Get a grip! I made a comment about being surprised at the video, and you read a whole slew of incorrect assumptions into it, as usual. And you wonder why people here think you're too harsh?

Quote:
The cat could not read the bird's signals or it would have moved off.
Another assumption...cats may not be "native", but they've been here a very long time now...you assume that evolution somehow stops at a certain point and animals aren't intelligent enough to adapt? The cat "couldn't read" the signals? And birds, who are intelligent enough to know when and where to migrate, and how to fly in a manner that saves the most "fuel" so they can get to these destinations, no matter how far they have to fly to get there, aren't smart enough to learn, after all these years, that cats would eat them for dinner? You really don't think they're smart enough to read another animal's signals? I think you do animal intelligence an injustice with your assumptions.

Quote:
To do what that bird did was an act of desperation to get the cat away from it's nest or fledglings. BlueJays and other birds will do the same thing. This is the danger of bringing in species that don't belong. Think the rabbits in Australia. The huge Asian constrictor snakes and lizards now loose in the everglades. All of these and many more are doing a lot of damage to the areas they are now inhabiting. Areas where the native fauna have no inborn way to understand and cope with their predation.
So what's YOUR solution, knowing there will always be people who think it's just fine to let their cats roam, and knowing there are staggering numbers of stray and feral cats in this country? Kill them all just to save the birds? Is that what you're proposing?

What's done is done...cats are here whether you or the birds like it or not...evolution is going to continue whether it's humans or mother nature herself forcing change.

And seriously...if you eat chicken yourself, you have very little room to argue here, LOL !

Old 04-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is nonsense. its of little signficance whether the cat is an original resident of america. its here now. birds better beware at their own peril.
It is of great significance if you care at all for the natural fauna of your country and understand the damage introduced species like cats can do. Birds cannot think like human beings. Expecting them to do so is absurd.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:52 PM

very well that I would never condone a human killing any creature as small as a cat...a mountain lion or a wolf attacking my animals, yes, I would kill if I had to in order to protect them, just like they would kill ME if I threatened their cubs or pups. Sheesh ! Get a grip! I made a comment about being surprised at the video, and you read a whole slew of incorrect assumptions into it, as usual. And you wonder why people here think you're too harsh?

I don't wonder. I know, and your posts can be pretty harsh as well. It seems everything I post here you misunderstand and I'm forced to take it all apart and explain it to you word for word as though you were a child. Why is that? Read my post again. I'm tired of having to explain everything to you so you understand or get the point. You're the only one who has this problem.

Quote:
Another assumption...cats may not be "native", but they've been here a very long time now...you assume that evolution somehow stops at a certain point and animals aren't intelligent enough to adapt?
In evolutionary time 400 years or so is less than a blink of an eye. A split second. Birds cannot evolve that quickly. If they could, the carnage wrought by cats would not be occurring.

Quote:
The cat "couldn't read" the signals? And birds, who are intelligent enough to know when and where to migrate, and how to fly in a manner that saves the most "fuel" so they can get to these destinations, no matter how far they have to fly to get there, aren't smart enough to learn, after all these years, that cats would eat them for dinner? You really don't think they're smart enough to read another animal's signals? I think you do animal intelligence an injustice with your assumptions.
Birds migrate and fly by instinct. You should know this by now. This is not new information. They don't need to think about it on any level. But they do need the ability to understand and read the signals of their predators. If they cannot do that, they will be easy prey as this mocking bird and billions of other birds are every year. Again 400 to 500 years in time where evolution is concerned is less than a blink of an eye. Evolution takes hundreds of thousands of years.

Quote:
So what's YOUR solution, knowing there will always be people who think it's just fine to let their cats roam, and knowing there are staggering numbers of stray and feral cats in this country? Kill them all just to save the birds? Is that what you're proposing?
Now you're being outright rude. You're trying to force your own words and thoughts into my mouth. Cats should be kept indoors where they belong. I've said this many times before here. I never said they should be killed and it's an outrage that you should even suggest such vicious thing. Cats should not be out roaming, killing not just birds, but all forms of small fauna. They often annoy neighbors. I'm putting up with a neighbors cat now for 8 years. Do you feel your neighbors, anyone's neighbors should put up with roaming house cats? You want your cat to get fresh air? Put up one of those covered cat runs. They're not that expensive.

Quote:
What's done is done...cats are here whether you or the birds like it or not...evolution is going to continue whether it's humans or mother nature herself forcing change.
Unless those who are into saving the native birds start to really take things into their own hands and eliminate the problem. Then we'll be hearing the cat owners screaming that someone killed their cats or someone is killing the feral cats. Never mind they opened the door to let their cat/cats out.

Quote:
And seriously...if you eat chicken yourself, you have very little room to argue here, LOL !
Really? Chickens are not native to my country and are far from being endangered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds