U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,218,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
There was a video making the rounds a few months ago of a plucky cat taking on an alligator, trying to keep it from coming out of the water. Your first instinct is to laugh and say "Way to go, Kitty!" Then you think, hey this cat's life could be in danger. Why doesn't this guy put the camera down and get it out of there. There was a kid nearby too. This alligator must have eaten recently, but it was stupid to assume the cat and child weren't in danger, and keep filming just to have a big hit on You Tube.
If the alligator had gotten that cat, it would have been a shame for the cat's owner, but, it would still have been nature in motion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 07:46 AM

1,752 posts, read 1,930,325 times
Quote:
There was a video making the rounds a few months ago of a plucky cat taking on an alligator, trying to keep it from coming out of the water. Your first instinct is to laugh and say "Way to go, Kitty!" Then you think, hey this cat's life could be in danger. Why doesn't this guy put the camera down and get it out of there. There was a kid nearby too. This alligator must have eaten recently, but it was stupid to assume the cat and child weren't in danger, and keep filming just to have a big hit on You Tube.
I hear you! That video was bizarre. The whole family was so casual in the midst of two huge alligators. Does anyone know the full story?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,176,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
If the alligator had gotten that cat, it would have been a shame for the cat's owner, but, it would still have been nature in motion.
It wouldn't have been a shame for the cat? And all for people's amusement? Well, I'm just not getting this. Let's just let it go and agree to disagree.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't have been a shame for the cat? And all for people's amusement? Well, I'm just not getting this. Let's just let it go and agree to disagree.
I don't see that as about people's' amusement. So they had a camera on it. Whadddaya think, they brought in that alligator from Disney World and gave him and the cat a script to work from? That's what that cat and that alligator do. Somebody put a camera on it, that minute of that day. Should they put a chaperone on the cat?

Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 PM

7,201 posts, read 11,846,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
The few injured birds I've found over the years, I have brought immediately to the E-vet center, and they call the local wildlife people, who pick them up, rehabilitate them, and release them back into the same area they were found.
Snips.

Yes. The vets would call me, then send the people to my home with the injured birds. I didn't do pickups. I had to keep records of every bird and what the outcome was. All but one robin, of the birds that lived, was released to the wild. The robins wing was destroyed by some despicable person shooting it with a BB gun. The BB was still embedded in the flesh. He was donated to a child's museum where small live things unable to be released were kept. There was some concern among the vets and wildlife service as to what happened with baby birds released into the wild once eating on their own. Could they instinctively feed themselves or did they perish. We never did get the answer.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
We don't know that this was an outside cat, or that there was a nest, but I find it hard to believe the bird would have been so foolhardy if there wasn't a nest nearby. My problem is with the person holding the camera, who should have STOPPED THE BIRD FROM HARASSING THE CAT as well as shooing the cat from that area, before anyone died for no good reason. How can you argue with that?
I agree. I don't think anyone could argue with that. However, the person with the camera may not have realized what can happen - never thought the cat would grab the bird.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I don't see that as about people's' amusement. So they had a camera on it. Whadddaya think, they brought in that alligator from Disney World and gave him and the cat a script to work from? That's what that cat and that alligator do. Somebody put a camera on it, that minute of that day. Should they put a chaperone on the cat?
The cat should have been INDOORS where cats belong. Forget birds and angered neighbors for a minute. There are psychos out there who love to grab cats to torture and kill, vicious kids who shoot them with BB guns, people who poison them and worse. Just outside Murfreesboro, not very far from where I live, some depraved sociopathic teenagers set a cat on fire and let it run. Someone passing in a car called the Police. It had to be euthanized it was so badly burned and in such agony. These things happen all the time. Like serial killers and pedophiles, the number of very sick people is increasing all the time.
Anyone who doesn't care enough for their cat and isn't bothered by what happens to thousands of them each year when allowed to roam - shouldn't have a real cat. Sit a stuffed toy cat on your sofa. It's that simple.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:58 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,971,554 times
That is the behavior of a bird trying to protect its babies from a predator.

I think many species of birds are hurting, partly due to the cat. I better never see my cat with a nice bird in its mouth. He will be more of an indoor cat if that happens.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
The cat should have been INDOORS where cats belong.
My cat is indoors or on a leash. But, I enjoy the outdoor roaming cats much more than the birds, squirrels, lizards and moles. If they are out in nature they should be left alone and free to whatever they are inclined to do. But every creature has the right to its freedom and feral cats are no exception. But, given my preferences, I'd rather see birds captured and neutered.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:07 PM

2,455 posts, read 5,482,842 times
.........shaking head and laughing silently ^^^......where do you come from??? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds