U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 10:11 PM

55,411 posts, read 11,680,631 times
Default Canary problem

We have a cute canary,he's loud,but sings good,whenever we have the music on he would sing louder than the music,and beeps to you whenever you talk to him.
We don't know why he has diarhea today.We give him the regular canary food the treats, we have been giving him lettuce,he loves lettuce.Maybe we gave him too much?
What do the canaries like to eat besides lettuce? he likes brocolli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:19 AM

4,075 posts, read 10,428,369 times
Iceberg lettuce is nothing but water and that might explain it.

Here's the information I got when I ran it on Google-

* A good quality seed mixture suitable for canaries can be the mainstay of their diet.
* Pelleted diets suitable for a canary can be offered as well - these are not as palatable as seeds but many owners keep a dish of pellets in the cage along with a dish of seeds.
* Fresh foods and greens should also be offered. Good choices include apples, oranges, bananas, green peppers, canned corn, fresh corn on the cob, cooked broccoli, raw spinach, raw dandelions, raw collard greens, raw Swiss chard, pears, peaches, strawberries, cucumbers, squash, etc. Bits of hard boiled egg can also be offered occasionally.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:49 AM

I have a peculiar bird! doesn't like apples,oranges,loves brocolli,no swiss chard,nothing red like strawberries,cucumbers,,
very strange bird,but a happy one,thanks!
No sour stuff either like grapes, if he doesn't like something he would never touch it.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:05 AM

4,075 posts, read 10,428,369 times
Birds at times can be more finicky than cats! The parakeet that my mom had was a hoot, loved almost more than she should have; popcorn, cheerios, fruit of any kind and loved to swim, had to rescue it from the dishwater one time

Old 07-30-2007, 09:20 AM

Popcorn and cheerios

This is our second canary,this one has character, Once I took him out with the cage of course so someone could babysit for 2 days,he loved looking out the car window,just like a dog!
My friend had a practice singing session with a teacher,the bird sang louder than my friend.She thought it was funny

Old 07-30-2007, 11:04 AM

3,650 posts, read 10,409,946 times
I would give my canary chickory, and a small bit of an orange.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:04 PM

We have been giving him apples,he loves it!

He is a little particular about cleanliness,he would not eat anything on the floor of the cage,he prefers we use a clip on the side rail.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:04 PM

I wonder why it's losing it's hair?maybe it's too hot?
How do you cut the nails,I have a hard time catching it,it's too hyper!
I don't want it to have a heart attack either,it's so teeny!

Old 08-15-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
Iceberg lettuce is nothing but water and that might explain it.

Here's the information I got when I ran it on Google-

* A good quality seed mixture suitable for canaries can be the mainstay of their diet.
* Pelleted diets suitable for a canary can be offered as well - these are not as palatable as seeds but many owners keep a dish of pellets in the cage along with a dish of seeds.
* Fresh foods and greens should also be offered. Good choices include apples, oranges, bananas, green peppers, canned corn, fresh corn on the cob, cooked broccoli, raw spinach, raw dandelions, raw collard greens, raw Swiss chard, pears, peaches, strawberries, cucumbers, squash, etc. Bits of hard boiled egg can also be offered occasionally.
you do need to cover the cage when it get dark, a bird bath they love to splash in. also they do not like a draft. keep your bird from cold etc.they are great!

Old 08-15-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
I wonder why it's losing it's hair?maybe it's too hot?
How do you cut the nails,I have a hard time catching it,it's too hyper!
I don't want it to have a heart attack either,it's so teeny!
what I did, was I got a tiny cage when I would do the once a week wash down. I would put the tiny cage, next to the big one, so he would go.

I would also leave the bath etc., to clip the nails I did buy a real small tool,
and maybe every 3 to 4 weeks, I would clip. No the bird did not like it. However, Sammy did have a happy life. One day I was cleaning the cage,
put him out on the deck, and did forget the pin I left to keep the cage open.

Sammy just did fly away, my dog looked at me? like, do not blame me?
The next day, with the big cage, and food, when, I did ask St. Anthony, please return Sammy? that night, Sammy was home, eating and happy!
We put his cage on the deck, and no hope that he would fly home! He did.
they were what I found to cut a baby nails. I also found put 2 cages near, so the bird just does go. also to cover the cage I just would cut up an old pillow sheet. Sammy, was a brown color, and would sing his heart out.He was the best, and best bird I ever had. also, I would do a month wash on the deck, the entire cage, depending on heat, cold etc.

Last edited by maggiekate; 08-15-2007 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds