Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,656,264 times

Advertisements

Any exotic bird owners on the forum?
I have had, in the past, a conure that was given to me, a problem bird that I could not manage.
I also hand raised/fed a Yellow Nape Amazon. Great bird but it needed far more attention than our working family could give it so I gave it to my cousin who raises African Greys. I wouldn't even think of asking for the bird now that I am retired and have time to give to a bird.
I am now retired and getting a Senegal parrot for a companion bird. I am waiting for the bird to be weaned at present and it's being hand fed by the breeder with it's siblings.
Here is a video of a guy that taught his a number of tricks~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unO5whIUF-M
I have always wanted a MaCaw but they are noisy and we just don't have the room for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 10:55 AM

23,450 posts, read 23,792,574 times
Pepper

Old 04-18-2011, 07:42 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,210,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
Any exotic bird owners on the forum?
I am now retired and getting a Senegal parrot for a companion bird. I am waiting for the bird to be weaned at present and it's being hand fed by the breeder with it's siblings.

I have always wanted a MaCaw but they are noisy and we just don't have the room for one.
I love birds! I bred and raised them for over 25 yrs. Years ago, I owned a bird boutique specializing in hand fed baby birds. I had an aviary of the smaller types like cockatiels, lovebirds, keets and some conures and brokered the larger ones, eventually breeding my own African Greys. I had breeders that specialized in certain species like Amazons, Cockatoos or MaCaws that I'd buy out of the nest and hand feed for the store. What great business I had full of great memories.

I've owned too many birds to list (including a B & G MaCaw) and now am happy w/ just a few of the smaller species. You will LOVE your Senegal! I have one I hand fed from 3 wks that is a wonderful pet. Argus is 5 now and has a good vocabulary. Here's a pic of him in his favorite position.

Here's baby Sinbad, our Goffin Cockatoo eating his asparagus.

This is my special little guy, Azul. I always wanted a blue Pacific Parrotlet. He was worth the wait.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,775,587 times

lokie and cricket, linneolated parakeets...there still parrots lol.
there adorable and i love the noises they make :P

then theres my BABY
my beautiful little Jack Jack.
Jack is a severe macaw, i got him at 4 weeks old when he looked like this:

now he looks like this:

hes now right around 8 months old. I adore the crazy little monkey...hes insane, loves to roll around and play and is quite active, hes entering the naughty stage right now where hes getting a little beaky, but we'll get through this. and unusual for a severe (there usually late bloomers) jack is a talker...he says some words very clearly, others are still mumbles, but for a severe hes ahead of the curve, they usually dont even start trying untill about a year old...IF they start trying...many severes never speak.

the sever is of course the largest of the mini macaws, dont let the mini part fool you, he thinks hes just as big as his giant cousins.
he can be incredibly loud when he wants to be, usually when i just get home or when im calling the dogs in from their bedtime potty break, both of which are generally expressions of his distaste of not being the center of attention...most of the time though hes definatly not a screamer and instead likes to chatter away to himself making all kinds of odd noises.
im lucky, im home almost 24/7 so hes out of his cage alot.

if your interested in macaws you might look into the minis, theyve got all the personality and look like normal macaws, but are a little easier on the size angle lol. look into the hahns, there not much bigger than a cockateil...
they still need a macaw sized cage though as they are incredibly active birds in general.

this is jack jacks mansion

and for size reference...here he is getting silly luvins from grammy (my mum), he likes to hold his head and have under his wings scritched.

i love my macaw, ive never met a parrot quite like a macaw, i love em all, and ive worked with toos, amazons, greys and many of the smaller parrots too...
but theres something about the macaws thats just...different.
Wouldnt give him up for the world!
he even has a leash and loves to come for walks and sit in the garden with me when the weather is nice enough

ive heard great experiences with senegals and jardines too!

im planning on adding a pair of parrotlets eventually as well as either a pair of green cheek conures, OR a senegal OR a hahns.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,956,596 times
Default I have quakers

these are pics of my quakers . I have one blue one - a yr old and one green one about 5 yrs old not really sure though since we adopted him . anyways I have had big birds too from macaws on down and just basically have the smaller size parrots now . Quakers have awesome personalities and are great kids birds too . Both of mine are very sweet . i have only met a nasty female one and she would bite and hang on LOL !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone With Parrots or MaCaws?-my-pics-various-179.jpg   Anyone With Parrots or MaCaws?-my-pics-various-182.jpg  

Old 04-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Default this is my green guy

This is the green one .
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone With Parrots or MaCaws?-my-pics-various-169.jpg  

Old 04-24-2011, 03:33 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,210,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
these are pics of my quakers . I have one blue one - a yr old and one green one about 5 yrs old not really sure though since we adopted him . anyways I have had big birds too from macaws on down and just basically have the smaller size parrots now . Quakers have awesome personalities and are great kids birds too . Both of mine are very sweet . i have only met a nasty female one and she would bite and hang on LOL !!!
They're both adorable! Quaker babies were always my favorite to handfeed. They were so animated w/ their bobbing heads.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
They're both adorable! Quaker babies were always my favorite to handfeed. They were so animated w/ their bobbing heads.
They also quake which is adorable have you ever seen them do that ? this is the first baby I have had and most likely wont be the last . Im waiting til I get a house with an extra room before I add more birds to my flock.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,694,606 times
Julius the Sun Conure

Cleo the GCC

Atia the African Grey

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds