Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:23 PM

43 posts, read 75,661 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite type of conure and why?

Mine is Green Cheek Conure, because Green Cheek Conures are:

1) Quiet. They make less noise than even a single budgie.

2) Beautiful, especially the Yellowsided Green Cheek Conure. It has dark green, blue, yellow, red, orange, and more.

3) I love the naked ring around its eyes, looking just like a macaw or Amazon.

4) BIG parrot personality. They lie on their backs, hold food with their feet, hang upside down, and most importantly very playful like a PUPPY.

5) EASY size. Because they're so small, they eat less, poop less, and thus less mess than larger birds.

6) LOVES human attention and very cuddly.

7) Low cost and available everywhere.

I can go on and on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
I've never had a conure, but I have always thought that sun conures are beautiful. A friend recently rescued one that was dumped because it was too noisy.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I've never had a conure, but I have always thought that sun conures are beautiful. A friend recently rescued one that was dumped because it was too noisy.
It does not meet my item number 5 to a certain extend and especially not item number 1 above.

If one can be fine with noise, Sun Conure can be a great pet. However, not many people can handle noisy birds like Suns.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:44 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
I have a Nanday. He's a trip. He loves to hang out on "his" cushion on the couch with me and watch TV. He'll burrow into birdie blankets making little "whoa-whoa, wuh-wuh" noises, and he loves to chew up little wooden fishes and stars. He also a rather large vocabulary:

Hello (three different variations, including answering the phone).
Hi.
Hi, baby (often followed by reaching up for a kiss, then a kissing sound).
WHAT?!?!
Ow. Ow-ow-owwww.
Step up!
Good boy!
Okay.
Buh-BYE!

He also mimics the sound of keys jingling, my typing on the keyboard, and water trickling.

He's kind of a perch potato. His legs are malformed. But he gets around very well, putting his beak down on flat surfaces and propelling himself forward like a little tripod bird. And he's an excellent flyer.

I used to have a Green Cheek, but he passed away in September. He was a rescue. I had him for over five years, and he had a rough life before he came to me. What a clown he was! He would say "Good boy?" like "Am I a good boy? Am I?" He loved to dance and would rock out to The Doors. And such a snuggle bug! He was like Velcro.

That bird taught me more about the power of forgiveness than any human ever could. Considering what he'd been through--being kept in a tiny cage in a laundry room with no interaction, no company except the occasional visit from the dog, and no time out of the cage for years on end--that he could come around to interacting and trusting humans again was just beyond description.

I credit the good folks at [URL="http://www.phoenixlanding.org/"]Phoenix Landing[/URL] for their amazing rehabilitation and fostering. And my little birdie's heart for being so big. He was a trooper, too, as he had epilepsy and an irregular heartbeat, yet managed to make it to 14 or so despite everything. I miss him so!

And last but not least, one of my SO's four birds is a Sun. Another rescue situation. Someone put him, a ringneck dove, and a cockatiel out for sale in a garage sale, and they were just going to keep the birds in the garage. My SO took them all. The dove passed away a couple of years ago, the cockatiel is with my SO's parents, but the Sun is enjoying life driving my SO crazy with all of his bap-bap noises and instigating squawk fests with the other three birds.

Needless to say, I can't pick a favorite kind. All conures are awesome!

Old 01-14-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
Needless to say, I can't pick a favorite kind. All conures are awesome!
Based on your post above, you did, the Green Cheek Conure.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:28 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
We have 2 conures along with an African Grey. Our Sun Conure is loud but he's a sweet little bird. Our GCC is a total brat, bossy and aggressive. She can be sweet at times though.

I have to say I am really not all the fond of conures. We got them before we got the Grey and if we had of known what owing an African Grey was like I don't think we would have gotten the conures.

They're part of the flock though and they aren't going anywhere except to bed...right now.

Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM

What's so special about the grey? What are the conures lacking?

Old 01-14-2012, 06:54 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecisionYear View Post
Based on your post above, you did, the Green Cheek Conure.

Don't let my Nanday hear you say that.

You know what's interesting? I know a bunch of folks who have Nanday/GCC duos. It seems to be a popular combination.

Or maybe it's just that I've introduced myself to people in online bird groups with that combination.

Of course, some of them get a little carried away...

[youtube]Dzaqs7zHp3A[/youtube]

Old 01-14-2012, 07:06 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecisionYear View Post
What's so special about the grey? What are the conures lacking?
The CAG talks. Sentences that make sense. It's incredible to listen to her. She's very intelligent and interactive and independent.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:33 PM

To me, a CAG is like a less attractive version of an Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds