U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 AM

166 posts, read 262,707 times

Advertisements

The thing with fish is that you can't touch and pet them. But dogs and cats poops alot and hard to mantain. That's why I like something in between..........birds, particularly PARROTS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 AM

5,339 posts, read 8,037,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
The thing with fish is that you can't touch and pet them. But dogs and cats poops alot and hard to mantain. That's why I like something in between..........birds, particularly PARROTS!
I love parrots too but my blue & gold macaw can make a huge mess when she decides to. And when my dog barks I can tell him "no" and he will stop, but if my parrots gets to noisy and I try to get her to stop she just gets even louder. She loves to yell "NO!!!!" at me and laugh.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:17 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,806,747 times
the LOUDEST bird ive ever known is the small but mighty Sun conure lol.

mabe a teil or parakeet or something similar (grencheeks are relitivly quiet) but "cleaner" and "easier" HA...my Jack Jack would beg to differ, his favorite gemw is tossing as much food to the dogs as possible then laughing about it...lol
i have a mini macaw and macaws are actually quieter on average than most of the conure species lol.
yup, nope...
and he poops ALOT more than my dogs...smaller amounts per sitting obviously, but parrot poop adds up pretty quickly LOL.
as a side note, ive had many a fish (particularly cichlids) who do LIKE to be petted.

i think every home shoudl have a fish tank, so calming and peacefull, its therapy right now i have one in each room except the kitchen and bathroom lol

Old 02-20-2012, 06:05 PM

lol, i know birds..and while SOME greencheeks will only call for a few miniutes a few times aday. most are quite the chatterboxes...theyll nevr be as loud as some parrots, but there certinaly not "quiet"

also the term parakeet is an umberella term so im assuming you mean the buderigar rather than the grass keets, rosellas ect...
because many of the parakeet family are much quieter than the greencheek...my lineolated parakeets for example...i rarely hear a peep from them...

Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
That's why you don't get the super-sized parrots or the type that are known for being loud (macaws). You get smaller parrots, like Green Cheek Conures, or at least something smaller and less noisier than macaws such as Amazon Parrots.

I love the large parrots, especially Macaws. They are so happy and full of personality.

When my Yorkie tries to sneak some catfood, which he isn't allowed to do, my blue & gold macaw yells "NO!!!!!!" and he runs away. Or sometimes when he barks she tells him "Be quiet!!" Funny thing is that he listens to her, a dog being scolded by a bird.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I love the large parrots, especially Macaws. They are so happy and full of personality.
Um....Conures are mini-macaws or at least cousins of macaws with very similiar personality and characteristics, but just in smaller size.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 AM

conures and macaws are completly different families with VERY different personalities...
conures are NOT mini macaws, mini macaws are the same as large macaws just smaller...
a conure and a macaw are very different...
saying a conure is the same as a mini macaw is like saying a conure is the same as a parakeet...there birds and all birds will display certain similar behaviours...but there certain NOT the same.

but yes you are right budgies are constant chatter factories lol...thell still never beat out a sun conrue though...loudest birds ive ever known were sun conures...NEVER will i work with them again LOL love them, there beuatiful but WOW noise...lol.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Um....Conures are mini-macaws or at least cousins of macaws with very similiar personality and characteristics, but just in smaller size.
I am very familiar with conures but prefer macaws.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
conures and macaws are completly different families with VERY different personalities...
conures are NOT mini macaws, mini macaws are the same as large macaws just smaller...
saying a conure is the same as a mini macaw is like saying a conure is the same as a parakeet...there birds and all birds will display certain similar behaviours...but there certain NOT the same.
You're wrong!

Did you know that conures and macaws can breed and produce healthy and fertile offsprings? I bet you didn't know that.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
True mini macaws include Hahn's macaw and Severe macaw. Conures are somewhere between "large parakeets" and "small parrots." The American Ornithologists Union refers to conures as parakeets but I have never seen them considered to be mini macaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds