U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 10:01 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,365,158 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why you can't let the bird out while you are with the baby? Since the bird can control not going to the bathroom on you then why not? I doubt a baby could hurt the bird and I see no harm in letting the bird out even if he/she sits on the refrigerator or somewhere outside the cage on a perch somewhere, while you talk to the bird and show you acknowledge him/her?

Why not have one person spend time with the bird while the other tends to a crying baby and take turns doing that? Does it really take 2 people to hold a crying baby?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM

2,703 posts, read 6,192,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDay1 View Post
What do you think of my pictures above?
Nice, but that's not quite what I meant. I guess my sense of humor didn't translate well into words. I meant can you paint the birds to look like Sun Conures, not can you make of painting of how there are now. The colors is what attracted me to the Sun Conures at first. I think they are a very pretty birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I'm almost afraid to ask what will happen if your very smart bird realizes the baby gets a lot of your attention instead of her and becomes jealous? What if she flies over and bites the baby??
I covered this already in my first post that started this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
We couldn't take the bird out when the baby was in the same room.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopbubbles View Post
I don't understand why you can't let the bird out while you are with the baby?
No CheyDee is right, taking a flying bird out when the baby is also out is a very bad idea. I have a friend Chris that comes over time to time and every time the bird sees him, she gets very aggressive. Her feathers puff out, if he's near the cage she'll attack her bars or toys very aggressively. Anyway I had her out one day, when my friend was over, suddenly the bird flew across the room at him, he ducked down and the bird tried to attack the back of his neck while flying and flew back. We never take her out now when my Chris visits.

At least Chris can duck down or wave his hands to ward off an attack or run away crying like a little girl. A baby is completely helpless, unable to defend herself in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Your bird's quality of life is enhanced by having fun toys to play with, which are rotated on a frequent basis to prevent boredom and by having as much time as possible to interact with their human flock, NOT by flying.
I don't agree, and I'm not the only one. I'll read your links, but I'm against clipping birds wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
As for clipping, I generally do not clip. However, I am in a 1 BR apartment that is pretty well bird-proofed. My bird's cage door is open all day, every day, because I work at home, and he has the run of the place.

Last edited by TechGromit; 05-27-2012 at 07:45 PM..

Old 05-27-2012, 07:46 PM

106 posts, read 169,227 times
Quote:
Nice, but that's not quite what I meant. I guess my sense of humor didn't translate well into words. I meant can you paint the birds to look like Sun Conures, not can you make of painting of how there are now. The colors is what attracted me to the Sun Conures at first. I think they are a very pretty birds.
What are you saying? The Green Cheek Conure Mutations are not "very pretty birds?"

Old 05-27-2012, 07:48 PM

5,340 posts, read 8,008,203 times
I think Sun conures are the prettiest birds I have ever seen. I have never had one but always admire how beautiful they are.

Old 05-27-2012, 07:53 PM

2,703 posts, read 6,192,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDay1 View Post
What are you saying? The Green Cheek Conure Mutations are not "very pretty birds?"
Not at all, They are very pretty, but I think Sun Conures are "Prettier"

Old 05-27-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Why? Because it doesn't have lots of green?

Old 05-27-2012, 08:47 PM

2,520 posts, read 5,344,100 times
Quote:
There are alot of beautiful birds. I do agree that Sun Conures are one of the most beautiful.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:57 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,723,265 times
Quote:
I covered this already in my first post that started this thread.
Yes, you did. You wrote, "I plan to make much more of an effort to put the baby in her room and get the bird out more."

Surely you don't mean you're going to lock a baby in a room???

BTW, when you read the links, please note one is from a very well respected avian vet - not just someone who thinks they know something. What did your vet say?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
There are alot of beautiful birds.
Like which ones?

Old 05-27-2012, 09:22 PM

8,680 posts, read 13,258,738 times
Quote:
One Big problem we have is how to keep her beak trimmed. I purchased a cuttle-bone which was secured to a yellow base of softer stuff, then attached to a plastic holder. It took her exactly an hour to break the hard bone from the soft holding stuff. I tried to keep securing it to the plastic holder again, but after the first 20 times of her knocking it to the bottom of the cage, I gave up.

Also she chews the string of her happy hut until it falls down, I end up putting it back up with heavy metal cables, I just wonder how safe the cables are for her. After it gets too dirty (and cleaning it a couple of times) I replace it.
Well, Tech, I was being rhetorical in my questions, but it seems to me that just taking the time to answer them is pretty awesome.

About her beak: Make sure she has plenty of wood toys to chew on, and maybe a sanding perch, which will keep her toenails smooth and short and give her a place to rub any food stuck to her beak off. That should be enough to keep her beak in good shape.

If it gets overgrown, that's what vets are for. They use a little dremel tool to sand it down. This is strictly vet territory, or bird groomer territory, as beaks are vascularized and the smoothing process is extremely stressful to the bird. It's actually one of the most stressful things they can go through, as beaks are very sensitive and easily damaged if you go too short or make them lop-sided. My Nanday gets his beak done twice a year. He's just not much of a chewer, and as I mentioned before, he has issues with his legs, so he's a bit of a perch potato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds