U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:35 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,127,289 times

Advertisements

I have an African Grey who is quite amusing to say the least. You can almost carry a random conversation with her. Sometimes she sits with us at meal times. She begs. She will gesture with a tilt of her head, open her beak and 'lick her lips' then make a smacking noise. One night Hubs teased her a bit, but then gave her his last piece. I asked her if it was good and to say thank you, to which she responded with a healthy 'burp'.

We also have a special guest house bird. One of our chickens ended up very much bonded to us humans. When all the other chickens would go into the coop, she would come into the house. She loves to cuddle and while it's not as coherent as talking with the AG, you can talk to her and she talks back. She sounds more like a goose than a chicken at those times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 07:52 AM

524 posts, read 327,663 times
I have a Spectacled Amazon named Watson. He is just over ten months old and is quite the character that I'd hoped he'd be. He's babbling, sometimes arguing with me about things . He laughs a lot, mostly at inappropriate times. He thinks he is a dog too. We have a red- nosed pit bull and a blue-tick hound pit mix. When they bark and run around the house, instead of staying in the safety of his cage, he flies on the floor and "barks" too.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 PM

2,717 posts, read 1,854,584 times
2 Cockatiels, both hand-raised male birds - but for some reason have nothing to do with each other.
1 Scaly-Breasted Lorikeet - very vigorous bird and hard to keep tame, similar to a Rainbow Lorikeet.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:27 AM

2,717 posts, read 1,854,584 times
Have just acquired a Rainbow X Scaly-Breasted Lorikeet this week.
This is a fertile hybrid that occurs occasionally in the wild, that has many characteristics of both birds.
At this stage seems an easier bird to handle than the previous pure-breds, although the pure Scaly is yet to except it in the same cage!

Old 06-28-2013, 12:01 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,111,243 times
I have a 21 year old male cockatiel, a 19 year old male blue crowned conure and they live in flight cages outside. I have a built in aviary on my front porch and it is occupied by 13 budgerigars and I have a walk in portable aviary with 8 more cockatiels. Since chickens are birds too, I have two feather footed bantam roosters, 4 bantam hens and one has 5 chicks, plus 4 standard size hens.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:40 AM

3,252 posts, read 6,103,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I have a 21 year old male cockatiel, a 19 year old male blue crowned conure and they live in flight cages outside. I have a built in aviary on my front porch and it is occupied by 13 budgerigars and I have a walk in portable aviary with 8 more cockatiels. Since chickens are birds too, I have two feather footed bantam roosters, 4 bantam hens and one has 5 chicks, plus 4 standard size hens.
......and a partridge in a pear tree......

Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 PM

I have my 13 budgerigars in an indoor aviary still, but want to set them up outdoors in my current cockatiel aviary on my back porch. A day after I adopted another 4 cockatiels bringing my indoor aviary to 8, I answered an ad for a free aviary and picked it up. It is the wire for a 6 foot tall, 6 foot wide by 6 foot deep aviary, plus a bit more wire. It is welded 1/2 inch by 1 inch aviary wire. I only talked on the phone to the person giving it away. That was over a month ago, maybe six weeks. Last week I answered an ad for a female patagonian conure that was not happy in her home and needed parrot interaction. They bring her by every day for a visit and have started leaving her for most of the day. My blue crowned male conure looks forward to her visit and she looks forward to coming here. My blue crowned has been next to my 21 year old cockatiel since I got him in 1995 and that is the only bird interaction he has had. I was thinking of building an aviary about 8 foot by 8 foot and have smaller cages for compartmentalizing the two parrots and let them out when I am in the aviary, or can I allow the two parrots to share the space, they are both conures, the patagonian is about 16 inches long, but mostly due to longer tail feathers, my conure is about 14 inches. I know that some people keep budgerigars and cockatiels together, but I never have. Does anyone here keep mixed birds in an aviary?

Old 08-22-2013, 08:04 AM

38 posts, read 51,599 times
We have a large aviary with two lesser sulphur cockatoo's, one goffin cockatoo who was a wild rescue bird and now all three cockatoos are very tame and land on you and eat out of our hands and love being cuddled and scratched. We also have two conures, two lorikeets, two love birds, two Australian pigeons, two foulvous ducks, a tortoise and a good number of koi in the aviary and with 5 feeding stations and everyone is free to fly about and interact with each other. They all get on and have a pecking order. We don't believe in clipping wings so when entering the cage they all fly to us and land all over us. Yes as bird lovers we do tend to go overboard, but these birds seem to love the food and fruit they get on a daily basis and love the attention.....we also love the attention....hahaha.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodi1 View Post
We have a large aviary with two lesser sulphur cockatoo's, one goffin cockatoo who was a wild rescue bird and now all three cockatoos are very tame and land on you and eat out of our hands and love being cuddled and scratched. We also have two conures, two lorikeets, two love birds, two Australian pigeons, two foulvous ducks, a tortoise and a good number of koi in the aviary and with 5 feeding stations and everyone is free to fly about and interact with each other. They all get on and have a pecking order. We don't believe in clipping wings so when entering the cage they all fly to us and land all over us. Yes as bird lovers we do tend to go overboard, but these birds seem to love the food and fruit they get on a daily basis and love the attention.....we also love the attention....hahaha.
That is good to hear. I would love to have all my birds in one open aviary and let the cockatiels, budgies and parrots all loose and free to fly. The budgies are in an aviary on my front porch, it is 6 feet by 7 feet by an average height of 8 feet tall and a maximum height of 10 feet, almost too big for them, the cockatiels are in a 6 foot wide, 6 foot tall aviary that is just over 2 feet deep and they fly back and forth in it..

Old 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 3,157 times
Like everyone else we have a lot of birds too. We used to live in an apartment in Zimbabwe for 10 years and could not enjoy the pleasure of having birds in am aviary. We have now bought a one acre plot with a huge aviary. We have Lesser Sulphur Cockatoos, a Goffin Cockatoo, 2 Sun Conures, 1 love bird, 2 yellow lorikeets, 2 Auatralian Pigeons, 1 Laughing Dove, and 2 Fulvious Ducks. Plus a tortoise, and 4 koi fish in the pond. I love my birds more than life itself. I recently had a Military Macaw but sadly he died of a bacterial infection caused by rats droppings. I think I cried for a week. I have never been so heart broken. I loved my Pepsi....we have a big rat problem here and it's a constant problem trying to get rid of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds