Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM

166 posts, read 347,093 times

Advertisements

What's your favorite parrot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
well i LOVE macaws, of those the minis (severe and hahns) and the GIANTS (hyacnth and greenwing) are my faves
i like green cheek conures, but the rest of the conure family tend to be too loud for me...lol
and then Linneolated parakeets and Parrotlets...

i actually have a severe macaw and 2 lineolated parakeets right now...id love to add a pair of parrotlets to the family one day too

Old 02-20-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
well i LOVE macaws, of those the minis (severe and hahns) and the GIANTS (hyacnth and greenwing) are my faves
i like green cheek conures, but the rest of the conure family tend to be too loud for me...lol
and then Linneolated parakeets and Parrotlets...

i actually have a severe macaw and 2 lineolated parakeets right now...id love to add a pair of parrotlets to the family one day too
When it comes to mini-macaws, I like the Noble Macaw.

When it comes to conures, I love the Green Cheeks and the Halfmoon Conures, because they're quiet.

You don't like the Nobles and Halfmoons?

What about Amazons?

Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
I love the big macaws too: hyacinths, greenwings, and blue & golds.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,858,669 times
not that i "dont like" them, just that i prefer over brees to those...
nobles are adorable, but if i was going to have to choose between a hahns and a noble the smaller hahns would win...
and of all the minis i prefer the severe if for not other reason (since personality wise there al similar) than i LOVE the colors on a severe (i wish photos would do jack jack ustice because hes gorgeous)

in terms of the conures, the only halfmoons ive met presonally have all been nippy, im not a conure person in general, love to look at them but ill admit too much time working with sun conures put me off the entire group. grencheeks are adorable though and are probably the only memeber of the conure group id own.

amazons are great but beyond the parrotlet (which is a tiny little amazon relation) there just not the kind of bird for me. while great talkers they tend to be the MOST tempermental of the parrots, and need a completly different type of keeper, different aproach to handling ect then most other birds, i dunno realy how to explain it, there just an entirely different ball game, they tend ot bond storngly with one and can be seriously agressive to others, and they dont seem to "need" you as much as some other birds...
they are beautiful and other than the african greys cant beat them for talking, but just not for me...
same goes for cockatoos who are all too needy...

the macaws in my experience seem to be a great middle ground, loving but not clingy. lol.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Mine!

Which happens to be a Nanday conure.

I love all psittacines, though. Indeed, all birds.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:40 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
I had an African Grey once, and she was a wonderful (and ridiculously intelligent) bird... unfortunately I discovered a SEVERE allergy to parrots, which I'd never been aware of prior to getting one. She ended up going to a fantastic home with my old vet, and sometimes I do miss that little chatterbox.

So if I weren't allergic to them, I'd probably still have an African Grey - and would say they are my favorites!

Old 02-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I had an African Grey once, and she was a wonderful (and ridiculously intelligent) bird... unfortunately I discovered a SEVERE allergy to parrots, which I'd never been aware of prior to getting one. She ended up going to a fantastic home with my old vet, and sometimes I do miss that little chatterbox.

So if I weren't allergic to them, I'd probably still have an African Grey - and would say they are my favorites!
Alergic to what? Feather dust?

Keep in mind, conures don't have much dust like the Australian and African parrots.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:04 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I love the big macaws too: hyacinths, greenwings, and blue & golds.

The big macaws are my favorites. A friend of mine has a hyacinth, and I currently have a blue & gold. I raised a greenwing from a baby.

They all have such outstanding personalities!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:12 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Most fun: Cockatoos - Mollucans are the best.

Best talkers: African Grey or Double Yellow Headed Amazon (petter personality than greys usually).

Prettiest: Major Mitchells Cockatoo; Hyacynth Macaw.

Most showy: Any Macaw.

Favorite depends on what your purpose is.

Right now, I would prefer an African grey. they are somewhat fun, can be pleasant if hand raised and are far less demanding than a cocatoo or Macaw (or an Amazon).

If I were retied. Probably a Mollucan Cocatoo, but maybe a Scarlet Macaw. Hyacinths are prettiest, but too pricy and not very freindly.

Unlimited resoucources and time:

Two macaws, a moluccan and a sulfur crested cockatoo, and a double yellow headed amazon. Maybe a breeding pair of Major Mitchells (they are beautiful but generally nasty).

Oh and a Tucan. Nasty usually, but how cool to have a Tucan.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-28-2012 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds