U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:32 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,475,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
When I was a kid, I was given a canary in a cage. That little bird was so happy, always singing, splashing around in its little bath, such a bright spirit! Due to an unfortunate accident the bird later died, and was replaced with another one. The second canary had a completely different personality. Not so much singing. In short order, it figured out how to open the door to its cage, and got out, and flew around the house. After being recaptured and returned to its cage, the third time was the charm--it got out and found an open window, never to be seen again.

It really makes you think, doesn't it? I suppose if we polled the birds, we might get two different answers to the OP's question.
I also had a sweet canary bird one day I left the cage door open. The bird was outside for fresh air off he flew. Feeling sad I left the cage open outside next day he was back eating and singing his happy song.

Many said he never will return so glad he did-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 01:22 PM

8,118 posts, read 11,028,493 times
I think it depends on the breed. Our chicken loves to wander about the yard but she goes back into the coop at sundown- on her own- and seems happy to be safely locked up at night.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 611 times
@jo48

Sell me your first born child. I'll keep it in a very nice cage. I mean wouldn't it rather live until 60 in my cage than risk dying outside hit by a car or some other accident.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:52 AM

2 posts, read 659 times
I own an umbrella cockatoo. She has her beautiful charge but she can roam free and yes I lock her up at night. And I believe birds especially la GE on s require a lot of attention. I feed her Zupreem pellets its 40 bucks a bag but soooo much healthier than seeds.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:36 AM

12,020 posts, read 6,868,156 times
A boyfriend unexpectedly gave me a cockatiel decades ago along with a huge cage for a present. He was a sweet young bird who loved people, but my lifestyle was not good for having a pet. Since most of my time was taken up with work and social life, the bird was caged most of the day and night and always alone. I kept the feathered creature for a very few weeks and gave him to a single friend who was a homebody. They were bonded companions until his death.

All pets need companionship and stimulating activity. In my opinion, keeping a bird in a cage with little contact is the same as keeping a dog or cat and only feeding him and patting his head once a day. It is cruel. And as an aside, giving a person a pet for a gift is a bad idea unless they asked for it.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 405 times
I have three birds; a lovebird, a cockateel, and a cockatoo. The two smaller birds each have their own cage, but the doors remain open 24/7.
My cockatoo doesn't have a cage at all. All three of my birds are rescues, and for the first 8 years of the cockatoo's life, he was kept in a small cage. Now though, he has a Java tree that he happily climbs around on, but he mostly stays is his area. (The tree is in a 4X6 ft. litter box with Aspen chips). I also don't clip any of my birds wings, and they're welcome to fly around the house as they please. I do feel like it's cruel to take away what's natural for them. I adopted them to give them a better life; not confine them.
As I type this, my lovebird is curled up, asleep on my chest. ❤
They all give kisses, and get really excited to see me when I get home from work. They groom each other, talk to one another, and learn from each other (good habits and bad). They also like to set with us when we eat. The lovebird will generally fly to the shoulder of anyone running water in the kitchen, as he likes to have a bath and take a drink from running water.
They've adjusted quickly to life with us, and I'm glad we could give these three babies a good home.❤

Old 11-12-2016, 06:17 PM

3,235 posts, read 6,084,286 times
The biggest problems I have encountered with free-flying birds include: flying into widows/sliding doors, flying into ceiling fans, flying into open sinks with water, flying into hot stoves/pans, getting to close to open air conditioning vents and coming down with pneumonia, problems with other household pets such as cats and dogs, just to name a few concerns.

Not everybody will have such issues but I have heard enough stories and personally encountered enough of such injuries and/or deaths over many years to allow such types of situations to occur with my own birds. Just saying. I am not criticizing anybody nor trying to change any minds.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:07 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,279,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2
How do you feel about making people wear clothes? Certainly the small child prefers to run around without any. Why do we insist that he or she put on clothes?
Because most have been brainwashed to think its wrong to be naked....... (Totally wrong though)

I know some ppl who let thier birds just fly about but ya better leave thier cage OPEN so when they have to goto bathroom they dont just go wherever!!

Old 01-19-2017, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 1,640 times
Thats why in my opinion, if someone has pet birds they should ideally let them fly or walk around the house with supervision of course. If they cant do that at least give them lots of love and attention through the cage.

Old 02-12-2017, 03:58 AM

248 posts, read 119,331 times
In answer to the question-YES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds