Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 05:24 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You do realize that color mutation are also sterile correct ? and you can try all you want to to breed them but it will never come to reality because all color mutations are sterile .
WRONG! You need to educate yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 07:12 PM

484 posts, read 822,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You do realize that color mutation are also sterile correct ? and you can try all you want to to breed them but it will never come to reality because all color mutations are sterile . Nope color mutations will never go down in price because they are so hard to come by thus the supply and demand comes into play . I no longer have any birds i used to own quakers but became horribly allergic to a protein they put off in their feathers so now can never own birds again .
You're confusing mutations, color varieties that occur spontaneously in nature, with hybrids, the artificial cross-breeding of two different species.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
compared to other species NATURAL color mutation (NOT a result of mixing breds) are LIMITED, there are not MANY (again compared to other species)

for example i own linneolated parakeets and a sever macaw...
there are CURRENTLY 14 naturally occuring color mutations in the linneolated parakeet, a species that has only become popular in the pet trade comparitivly reacently

but theres only 2 (possibly 3) NAURALLY occuring color mutations in the severe macaw at this time.
Peid, melanistic and possibly cinnamon...and since these mutations are so rare its difficult to figure out WHAT causes the mutatios and thus VERY difficult to reproduce...

of ALL the macaw species only the Blue and Gold has neer enough NATURALLY OCCURING (not linked to cross breeding) to realy consider to be "available" in mutations and even them are FEW and Far Between...

phonelady, your refering ro hybirds and while your right with MOST hybrid animals (mules, ligers ect) are infertile, parrot species do NOT tend to have this problem...for whatever reason (macaws are famous for this, with he likes of camalots, shamrocks ect) can interbreed among themselves with no isue with fertility in the offspring.

howver sunset, i don tknwo how you INTEND your repsonces to sound...but to me personally your comming acorss as an agressive know it all who doesnt want to hear anything form anyone with an opinion different than your own....
instead of typiing "WRONG!" with every post you DONT agree with/understand ect...mabe you could aproach things a little more openly....cause at this rate noones going to be positng in your threads cause everyoens going to have you blocked LOL

Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,229,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
Wrong! If a green quaker costs $100, a blue would be about $300, but a lutino costs about $800.
I disagree! Blue mutation was always the more expensive one.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
I disagree! Blue mutation was always the more expensive one.
You are absolutely correct!!!

Pricing increases in the following way (cheaper to higher): Green - Lutino - Blue - Albino. There are more mutations than that but those four are the most common colors in reference to the OP's question.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
i do agree with both of you IN MOST species, however in the quaker, Blue is actually a more common color mutation and the blues are currently cheaper than the lutinos, but in ringnecks, ect, yes lutino is usually cheaper than blue...

Old 07-27-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i do agree with both of you IN MOST species, however in the quaker, Blue is actually a more common color mutation and the blues are currently cheaper than the lutinos, but in ringnecks, ect, yes lutino is usually cheaper than blue...
I can accept your assertion. That is why I specifically mentioned Indian Ringnecks in my responses. I never bred quaker color mutations and would not be as aware of the frequency of Blue quakers. No harm, no foul and if I offended you or anyone, I offer my apologies.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,187,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I can accept your assertion. That is why I specifically mentioned Indian Ringnecks in my responses. I never bred quaker color mutations and would not be as aware of the frequency of Blue quakers. No harm, no foul and if I offended you or anyone, I offer my apologies.
You didn't offend anyone I think, dontask. It's sunset that offends people the most. Thanks, foxy, I thought it was just me because sunset called me a racist in another place. Glad to see she/he rubs others the wrong way too.

That first pic of the tealish bird is just beautiful! Although I don't think it's a macaw. It looks to be in the Senegal/Conure family instead.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:21 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I offer my apologies.

Yes, you were wrong. Blue Quakers are alot cheaper than Lutino Quakers. But, apology accepted.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post

That first pic of the tealish bird is just beautiful! Although I don't think it's a macaw. It looks to be in the Senegal/Conure family instead.
That might be a Spix macaw which is a small macaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds