U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,646,680 times

Advertisements

My brother-in-law owned a bird named Sammy. He is a Scarlet Crested Cockatoo (from what I was told). He was allowed all sorts of bad behaviors (I am finding out now). We thought it was normal for a bird to scream LOUD all the time, pick at your clothing when he was standing on your shoulder, just all sorts of things. My BIL passed away about 5 years ago. In her grieving process my Sister-in-law basically shut down. The kids maintained feeding/watering the bird but that is all.
Fast forward to today... She has no money left, no way to feed the bird ect. So my niece called us and asked us to take Sammy. We want to keep him in the family if possible, so we took him. It was always a favorite time when Bill would bring him down for a visit at Grandmas, ect.. and it brings back good memories for my husband.
Now we find out Sammy has basically been caged for the majority of the time in the last 5 years. No one has worked with him. SIL used a water bottle to spray him with water when he screams. I bought into this and did the same for about a week.. then I realized it didn't work at all. I put a stop to it.

We want to keep Sammy but I am seeing serious behavior issues (the lady at the pet store they frequented who specialized in birds says he was the worst bird she has ever seen to be allowed to behave that way without any discipline at all, ect). I am VERY willing to try behavior modification. I also know he is going to have to learn to trust all of us all over again... He REALLY don't like me and yesterday tried to bite me repeatedly.

I have been reading on Good Bird's website and plan to subscribe to the magazine. I will be here reading too... daily. I know what has been done bad in the past, mostly. Where do I go from here?

He gets to get out of his cage mostly all day long and sits on top or on the door, we give him fresh water and a handful of food daily.. I have to go purchase food soon (I have what they brought me, they said the purchased it from the feed store??? Not the pet store. Niece said he didn't like the food at the pet store.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM

26,426 posts, read 62,665,397 times
First food:

Be careful abot pet store food. A lot of it sits too long and gets moldy. Make sure you find a place with considerable turnover so the food mix is realtively fresh. He needs more than just seeds. He should have vegetables, and a little fruit every day. Occaisional bits of meat are good for them. They love cheese and potatoes but I am not sure they are that good for them. It is OK for them to eat eggs. Eggs have a lot of nutrients they need. You can also gt vitamins, but most do not do much. A balanced diet is the correct way for them to get vitamins.

Second entertainment.
Cockatoos need constant attention and entertainment. Give him things to play with and chew on. They love to rip things apart. One of ours loves playing in a biox full of shredded paper. sticks, bundles of safe berries, full shees of newspaper to crawl under, the all like different things. Give him esomething to keep his mind occupied.

They are pretty hard to trian and even harder to break of bad habits. Mine bites me at times. He bites no one else, just me. I think he is mad at me becuase we gave him to another family for 12 years. I am not sure what to do about it when he bites me, it is bad. several times I should probably have gotten stitches. Now I have a couple of nasty scars. Now I watch him carefully when he is on me. I am still apparently his favorite person, but I do not know whether he will bit me badly again. I do nto allow him near my face, if I hold him I watch him constantly. Maybe some day it will change, not sure.

their temperment and inteelaect is supposedly the same as a human three year old. Permanently. He will be stubborn, petulent, tempermental and sometimes downright evil. You are probably going to have to train him all over again starting with "Step up" on a stick. Some things may take years. Our birds sleep in a smllish care in the basement where it is quiet and dark. When I go get them in the morning, my bird refuses to step up. OUr other bird jumps to my hand and wants to be petter cuddled ect. My bird will stubbornly cling to his perch and will nto come out for anything. Either I just cover him up, turn off the light and he waits a coule of hours for one of the kids to get him, or after four or five hours, if I leave the cage open, he will come out and then he will step up. I think he is ticked each day for being put to bed, so he is teaching me a lesson by refusing to come out of his cage in the morning. He will always step up for me from his big cage, or form any other person at any other time of day. He is happy to climb abord when I tell him it is time for bed, but int he morning - no way.

Screaming is tough. that is the main reason we ended up giving my bird away for a time. we were too tied up with carrers and kids and stuff and he did nto get enoguh attention. He woudl scream all day and drive my wife crazy, plus he woudl bite the kids if they put fingers in his cage, and if I was gone for several days, he woudl usually bite me after being all happy to see me and snuggly - wham. Now he never screams. (his girlfierend does though). HE never bites anyone but me and he has not bitten me for more than a month. They are incredibly complicated (like hiumans) and unbelievably smart. It may take a long time to figure out what his issues are and fix them.

On the other hand, it will be totally worth it.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:50 PM

22,763 posts, read 19,207,018 times
My parrot will NO eat pellets. I wasted almost $30 on a bag one time and he would have straved to death before eating those pellets. Therefore, he will not live as long as he could because he just eats sunflower seeds and that kind of bird food....

BUT, I have found a good package of pet store bird food. It's from Grreat Choice (not a typo, two "r"s) and it comes in small, medium and large bird vaccumed packed packages! Much cheaper than the "normal" stuff too. TwoBee loves the parrot food but Charlie, my parakeet, is not fond of the small bird food, so it's back to the other stuff for him.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:16 PM

2,701 posts, read 6,192,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
First food:

They love cheese and potatoes but I am not sure they are that good for them.
Cheese? It was my understanding that salt is bad for birds, well Sun Conures at least. They have no way to get rid of salt and it builds up in there body over time eventually killing them. And Cheese has salt. I gave my Conure a tiny piece of cheese once, after eating a bit, she went to the bottom of the cage to get the pieces she dropped while eating it. This is the Only time I seen her go to the bottom of the cage to get food she dropped while eating it. Yes she obviously liked it, but I haven't given her any since over the concern about salt.

When we got our Sun Conure, she would eat nothing but the multicolored pellets from the pet store. We purchased a special blend of bird food from a bird store, with includes dried fruit, nuts, seeds, etc. At first she wouldn't touch the stuff, but over time she switched, now she mostly eats the special bird food blend and rarely eats the multi-colored food. We keep it in the cage in a separate bowl and she occasionally eats a piece of two.

Quote:
You are probably going to have to train him all over again starting with "Step up" on a stick.
My bird refuses to step up for me, but she does it for my wife. The only time she steps up onto my finger is when she flies and lands on the floor.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:22 PM

I looked at the pet store toys they are mainly things they can chew up like macaroni, paper (put together some way like braids or something) and cardboard, and they had some that were shredded coconut. They also had one today with drinking straws. I spent basically the same amount at Hobby Lobby and got some Jute Rope, wooden beads that were not treated or colored, dowel rods, drinking straws, jingle bells, and throw away newspapers. It don't look quite as pretty as the one in the store but for the same prince I made one and he is happily destroying it right now.

The lady at the pet store said they could have lots of things we eat but limit cheese and dairy, and gave me a list of things he cannot have like avacados. He does like boiled eggs, I have given them to him successfully before. Finding what he likes for a treat is hard.. he only wants the food he is given. Yes it has lots of sunflower seeds in it and some other nuts. He don't care for fresh fruit except for watermelon (he loved that) and a bit of apple. He does like peanuts.. He ripped a grape apart and nibbled on it today. The whole thing is frustrating since it seems like nothing is working. My daughter is really getting frustrated with the screaming, she yells back at him and THAT don't work either, just adds to the noise level.
I fed him this morning, a handful in his bowl of the large bird food from the pet store that he seems to like.. So I took his bowl out at 4pm and in awhile I am going to see if I can get him to take a "treat" from some nuts they told me he liked.
I have to figure out positive reinforcement techniques. Between this and radiation treatment for breast cancer my brain is on overload. Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 AM

You can buy large popsicle sticks in some grocery stores. Some of the are colored and flavored. Birds love love love to chew them up. Anything they can destroy is a good toy for them. My bird once got hold of a soda can and very happily chewed it to shreds while I was sleeping. He loves pencils (make sure they are not lead pencils), crayons, wood molding, wallpaper. He also loves having a big box of shredded paper to play in. His girlfrined does nto like shredded paper but loves a few sheets of newspaper to hide under. The love sticks, wild cheeries, a branch od rasberries with berries on it. Sometimes they eat them, sometimes they just tear off the berries and drop them.

Birds do eat a lot of things that are unhealthy for them (just like we do). Cheese probably is bad for them. So are sunflower seeds (at least a diet of all sunflower is bad). So is giving them a diet with no fresh fruits and vegetables. A baconator is not good for him or for me, in fact, it will kill both of us eventually, but we both eat some of it. My bird will chase you down to steal your pizza and if he is out at a party he will try to sneak some beer. That certainly cannot be good for him. Citrus fruits are bad for them, but apples bears, an the like are fine. We keep him on about 95% what he should eat, but he still sneaks some bad things once in a while. He would eat only sunflower seeds if allowed. We had to take the sunflower out of his mix, or reduce it. Then he will refuse to eat for a while trying to force us to give him sunflower or pizza. Eventually he will eat his veggies. Just like a 3 year old. They do eat a lot of bad for them things all the time. So do I. Yesterday I had a piece of cake. Probably shaved three days off my life.

Especially when I first got him and had not learned much about their health he ate lots of popcorn, pizza, egg McMuffins, hamburger, Oranges, and tried to get beer when he could (I lived in a dorm when I first had him). Since he only seemed to like sunflower seeds, that is what i gave him at first. He chewed up all kinds of things, many of which were potnetially toxic.

My bird is 25 and shows no sign of ill health. Of course you they may not show any signs. He could keel over tomorrow. So could I. But we certainly will have enjoyed eating together.

Sitting in a cage for hours and hours is particularly bad for them. Most birds do not get enough exercise. To be healthy. Like humans his should be equal or more of a concern with what we/they eat.

Some will say with that attitude, I am an irresponsible bird owner and should not have a bird (let alone 15-20 birds). They may also say I am an irresponsible parent and should not have children. We allow our kids to eat mcDonalds food at times, various snack chips, goldfish, bacon, hamburger helper, twinkies, ice cream, all kinds of deadly foods. We are so bad, we should be shot.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 08-16-2012 at 09:50 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Hahahaha Cold..... like me you need to develop that reflex (but I bet you already have it).... the one that says, "You don't have to like me so you can shut up now..." if they think you are so terrible. That is why I had to leave the Parenting board.. I was fixing to start telling people off.

I haven't let mine have so much table food yet. He does get bread sometimes and peanuts.. they were in the original mix we got with him and he likes them best after sunflower seeds.
Why did you remove the sunflower seeds from the mix? Because he won't eat other things? He gets grapes occasionally..and apples. If I am eating something I think he will like I give him a bite. He didn't like the veggi crunchers I had last night (Dried veggies) that I thought was delicious. But then again neither did hubby or daughter hahaahaha. Hubby said he wouldn't eat that "stuff" if it were the last thing on Earth.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,015,724 times
My African Gey loved corn on the cob. He not only ate it but it then became a toy once the corn was eaten off, you should try that.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 AM

Just keep trying all kinds fo things. Just because he does nto like the green pellets, does nto mean he willnto eat the red ones.

We took sunflower out becuase he would pick it out and eat nothing else. Now it is mostly held back as a treat. We allow a little in his seed mix, but not a lot. LIke a three year old who will eat nothing but ice cream. You have to take away the ice cream until he eats other things. At first he will thro a tantrum and refuse to eat anything. Keep offing different things and he will eat something. once he starts eating a healthy mix, you cna re-introduce the thing he eats too much of.

Althogh i have limited knowlege of bird rearing, I have quite a bit of experience with children and I have discovered whomever determined a cockatoo is the same as a 3 year old human is spot on.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:36 PM

3,242 posts, read 6,091,021 times
Quote:
whomever determined a cockatoo is the same as a 3 year old human is spot on.
I agree with that comment 110%. I had raised parrots for over 20 years (many incubator hatched and hand-fed from day 1).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or