Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 03:41 PM

484 posts, read 822,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
the point of the vi was not to say ALL GCC's are loud all the time...
but simply that they have the capability to be VERY loud for a VERY long time if they get "in the mood" every GCC is different, but they are often sold as "quiet" and while they may be most of the time, they do have the capabiity of being extreemly loud...

I personally feel anyone even considering getting a bird of any kind needs to listen to the BAD vocalization examples so that they cannot say they wernt prepared or didnt know they could be "that loud" ect.
ive worked with a number of GCC's (and suns bluecorwns cherry heads and jendays) and for every quiet one theres also one who likes to hear his own voice...the only exception to that rule seems to be the suns...ive never met a "quiet" sunny lol.
Good point about someone knowing in advance what the potential noise might be, given the number of parrots up for re-homing. I was just reflecting on when I bought my GCC, and I think I would have been rejected them as a species if someone told me that they might scream 2-3 hours in the morning and evening. I've never heard anyone say that about a GCC, and it is definitely not my experience. And, IMO, GCC vocalizations are not particularly loud as parrots go ... I don't think they have the lung power or the inclination to "scream" if they get a lot of productive interaction with their owners. GCC's are just not in the same category as the Aratinga conures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rucks View Post
Thank you Legal_Eagle. I appreciate your post&the information.
I also want to thank you again Foxy.
The three of you have been a tremendous help! I appreciate it very much!
In case you guys wonder who the third one is, it's me.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:34 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
i dont think we were...but yeah...LMAO

Old 09-09-2012, 01:55 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
In case you guys wonder who the third one is, it's me.
No, didn't wonder at all. Trying to give your image a new spin?

Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 PM

506 posts, read 1,160,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
Trying to give your image a new spin?
I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,610 times
This is our ten year old Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure. She is not as quiet as we thought she would be and we had no idea how often her water needs to be changed out but we love her.
She dominated our dog and she goes everywhere with us. She tends to squawk whenever someone leaves the room. She is also a very good talker but shy at times refusing to talk in front of most people except my wife and I.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
I dont reccomend a bird for any apt except a parakeet or a canary because of the noise level I had a Quaker in an apt and my neighbor still heard him . I would say no dont get a bird in an apt at all .

Old 09-19-2012, 08:23 PM

484 posts, read 822,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
This is our ten year old Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure. She is not as quiet as we thought she would be and we had no idea how often her water needs to be changed out but we love her.
She dominated our dog and she goes everywhere with us. She tends to squawk whenever someone leaves the room. She is also a very good talker but shy at times refusing to talk in front of most people except my wife and I.
What a beautiful bird!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:34 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
phonelady, even budgies (the birds comonly sold as "parakeets" are relitivly loud) and most true parakeet species have BIG voices (the ringneck comes to mind lol) Lineolated parakeets are VERY quiet especially compared to ALL other parrots (thsus far theyve been the quietet birdsive ever met only "schreachign" when i vacume and even then its barley noticable outsid eof the room they are in lol, but i agree, want a "quiet' bird whos not going to bother the neighbos a canary or finches would be the bet bet, there still not silent but they simply dont have the volume to realy bother people through paper thin walls.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:52 AM

170 posts, read 496,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post

What a beautiful bird!! This looks very similar to the GCs the store now has(I missed out on the first one I was thinking of getting when I started this thread).
She's gorgeous DontLook.

Thanks Phonelady for your input. I'm still deciding which bird I'm going to add to my household though truth be told the GCCs have stolen my heart.
I'll post again when I make a final desicion.
Thanks so much everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds