U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 08:07 AM

734 posts, read 1,386,518 times

Advertisements

The seed I usually purchase for my 2 rescued cockatoos has changed. Agway informed me it is due to the drought and that alot of seed maufacturers are either raising their prices or cutting back on the quality. I would buy the 40 lb bags of mixed parrot seed but they also get alot of fresh fruits and vegetables, plus usually eat lunch and dinner with us. Now they are tossing the seed on the bottom of the cage and getting quite angry.
Any suggestions for a good quality seed that can be bought in large bags?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 04:39 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,711,255 times
most folks prefer to feed pellet over seed like zupreem, harrisons is highly reccomended, lafebers, pretty bird and roudy bush all come to mind...

Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 PM

5,037 posts, read 7,723,265 times
I like Kaytee Exact Rainbow pellets. With that said, if you radically change their diets suddenly, many birds will not eat the new offerings - as you're seeing with the new seed mix.

You may be able to find what you're accustomed to, or something very similar, online. One place to try is Dr. Foster & Smith.

A basic seed diet, (even with some healthy human food supplemtation), isn't a particularly healthy diet for birds. If you do find the seeds online, I highly recommend you very slowly wean your 'toos off them and onto pellets. There are a lot of articles online with tips on how to do this.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,711,255 times
actually seed canbe MORE nutritious than pellet, pellets are filled with artificial colors and flavorings and sugars ect...

the key like any diet is to balance, i used to feed pellet then i read the bags, like dog food, primarly corn and artificucial colors and flavors..

if going pellet id go with somehting NOT colored...

but a GOOD seed mix can actually be better as long as you mimic natural (ie a good seed mis ix NOT millet sunflower seeds and peanuts)

I make my maaws "seed" mix, millet, sunflower, safflower, flax, and pumpkin seeds, plain cherios, dried unsweetend fruits and none sweetend coconut flakes, then various nuts both in and out of shell peanuts, walnuts, almonds, pecan, and then i add ried red peppers and dried rose hips (when i can find them)

in the morning he gets a home made mash and sprouted seeds, in the afternoon he gets his "seed" mix, and then he gets some of whatever im eating, pasta, fresh fruits and veggies, the occasional bit of meat or scrambled eggs ect and since i switched him over onto this, he wastes less food, he looks amazing in condition both weight and feather...

but it takes alot more work i have to special order his food from whole food/organic suppliers to avoid added sugars and salts and make sure they arnt form sources sprayed in pesticides and chemicals ect...

As much as pellet is considered the "complete diet" and is more convenient, and what i will always suggest to most bird owners...it doesnt nessciarily mean its the ONLY way to feed, and ust liek any other comercial diet, when they start pumping these thigns ful of chemicals and dyes ect...kind of negates the benefit of a "complete pellet" too.

Old 09-15-2012, 10:27 AM

6,047 posts, read 21,609,687 times
I feed my Moluccan cockatoo Harrison's pellets. That brand is very high-quality, and has been recommended to me by many other pet owners as well as a couple of vets. It's not cheap but it is definitely healthy.

Premium Certified Organic Pet Bird Foods. Harrison's Bird Foods - let the results speak for themselves.

If you have all the time in the world, there is great information online on how to home prepare food for your bird, so all of their nutritional needs are met. It is quite time-consuming, but would probably save you some money.

ditto CheyDee; seed should be more of a treat than a regular part of the bird's diet. Kudos to you for making sure your birds are getting lots of fresh food, too.

If you want more information on nutrition for cockatoos, or any cockatoo information really, I highly recommend this website: All About Cockatoos - MyToos.com

Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I feed my Moluccan cockatoo Harrison's pellets. That brand is very high-quality, and has been recommended to me by many other pet owners as well as a couple of vets. It's not cheap but it is definitely healthy.

Premium Certified Organic Pet Bird Foods. Harrison's Bird Foods - let the results speak for themselves.

If you have all the time in the world, there is great information online on how to home prepare food for your bird, so all of their nutritional needs are met. It is quite time-consuming, but would probably save you some money.

ditto CheyDee; seed should be more of a treat than a regular part of the bird's diet. Kudos to you for making sure your birds are getting lots of fresh food, too.

If you want more information on nutrition for cockatoos, or any cockatoo information really, I highly recommend this website: All About Cockatoos - MyToos.com

Thank you and everyone else for the info. I will check it all out. In the meantime, I have bought a small bag of high quality food to see if they like it. I am interested in making my own food so that is something I will work on. These darn birds need to get jobs to help support them!

Old 09-20-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post

Ok I looked quickly at the Mytoos website and it just about broke my heart. My Chloe is a plucker and a self mutilator and my son, God bless him, has tended to her for over 4 yrs now, bandaging her and what ever it takes to keep her going. I had no idea it was common to the Moluccans. So sad.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:38 PM

484 posts, read 684,161 times
I like Roudybush maintenance diet, with seeds fed via Lafeber's Nutriberries or Avicakes.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:52 PM

3,242 posts, read 6,091,021 times
I use Higgins Vita-seed for my 2 Amazon parrots. Nice blend and my birds love it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-22-2012, 11:22 AM

13,781 posts, read 18,690,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
I like Roudybush maintenance diet, with seeds fed via Lafeber's Nutriberries or Avicakes.
My avian vet told me when I had my quakers and I was giving them avicakes and nutriberries he told me that was like giving them a candy bar !!! No big No !!! Just saying .. I used Zupreem fruit flavored pellets for small birds and they also liked the med size ones too . they are some of the best foods .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds