Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:14 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,965 times

Advertisements

I have a linnie parakeet who has been acting up lately. I have been in and out of town due to work and my mother's terminal illness/funeral in the last three months and always hire the same person to feed and care for him when I am gone.

I came back on Sunday and he was chirping over and over very LOUDLY. He used to do this every once in a while but now its almost constant and I can only get him to stop if I cover his cage or spritz him with water (which he likes). He calms down if he can see me, but if I go out of the room he starts again.

What can I do? I am worried that my neighbors will start complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 01:41 PM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Absolutely, birds can suffer from separation anxiety like any other pet. I have had birds pluck themselves bald due to such behavior. Definitely not unusual.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:56 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,965 times
Does anyone have any tips regarding how do deal with the incessant squawking?

Old 05-22-2013, 06:20 PM

Not a whole lot you can do. No different than if you had a baby crying for your attention.

If you could find some toy to keep the bird happy and occupied it might help. Just make sure the bird cannot hurt himself with the toy.

Old 05-22-2013, 08:04 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
if you cant spend more time with him (the real cure) an hes not too interested in toys....id consider getting him a buddy...
linies bond pretty strongly with their people so hes probably eeling rather neglected right now.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:17 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
My 'too used to bite me any time I went away for an extended period. He would be all loving and snuggly and then suddenly WHAM. THe worst was right between my eyes. Eight stitches. When I got to work, posted on my door was a modified version of David Lettermans top ten list of stupid reasons for being late to work. Number one read "My Bird bit my face."

Old 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,089,952 times
Birds can be very sensitive to changes in routine. I would suggest spending a little extra 1:1 time with your bird if possible, and getting back to your normal routine. Be careful to not "reward" bad behavior though.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:35 PM

249 posts, read 473,536 times
My african grey misses me, I have been so busy lately with 2 jobs and he has started squawking too. I give bud toys but he misses us playing hide and seek and watching cartoons together. He misses his showers too. I have come home and he escaped his cage, I found him in the shower. When I tell bud to quit your fussing he said NO and continues his squawking.

Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
My african grey misses me, I have been so busy lately with 2 jobs and he has started squawking too. I give bud toys but he misses us playing hide and seek and watching cartoons together. He misses his showers too. I have come home and he escaped his cage, I found him in the shower. When I tell bud to quit your fussing he said NO and continues his squawking.
That is funny. Like my analogy, just like a child.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:30 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,292,650 times
Is there a way you can record your voice talking to him that your/his caregiver can play when he comes to feed the bird? Or can you call the caregiver when he's at your home so you can talk on speakerphone to the bird while you're away?
I found this helped alot with my guy's appetite, who wouldn't eat unless I was present and would have starved himself if I had not done the above.
I also alway kept the radio on low when I wasn't home.
He also could see out the window and loved to watch the birds in the yard.
It's so important that they have some kind of stimulation aside from you, even when you are in the picture.
They, our bird buddies, are not one dimensional, ya know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds