Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,131 times

Advertisements

Got a question for you guys. There's an old couple next door with a Blue and Gold Macaw (actually, the old guy's "lady friend" moved in six months ago with one). They've kept it outdoors (backyard) from the spring through summer. Its VERY loud. They rarely interact with it and it screams, screeches and squawks all day long. At night they put it in the garage. Its finally turning cold and last night we had our first frost. I notice this morning when the temp was no more than 48-50F they already had placed it on its perch in the backyard (our backyards face north - shaded almost all the time now). I was hoping with colder weather they'd keep it indoors (so I could at least get a break from the noise for a few months), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've talked with them about the noise, but they refuse to do anything about it. I really don't want to call the SPCA (that's our only agency for animal complaints in this town), but now there's this large tropical bird in pretty cold conditions and its seems even more agitated. Is what they're doing cruel? I admit, this post is partly for selfish reasons since the bird is very loud and I can't even open a window for fresh air with the aural assault! Its louder than any of the neighborhood dogs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Check with your local animal control and zoning group, they may be able to help you in this case.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:07 PM

484 posts, read 822,013 times
That sounds rather cruel to me. I'd definitely call the SPCA. Sometimes I wish that people were required to be licensed to own the larger parrots.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:33 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
That sounds rather cruel to me. I'd definitely call the SPCA. Sometimes I wish that people were required to be licensed to own the larger parrots.
Boy aint that the truth ??? I think some people who own these birds are idiots and have no idea what they are doing or what is involved in owning one of these larger parrots .

Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
A bird like that is not equipped to be in very cold areas. They can get colds easily and by the time you get them to a vet they are too far gone. If the poor bird is getting no attention it would be better for someone that could spend time with it to have it. Let's face it, if the bird stays well, it will outlive its owners. The bird should be in a better home, I would call the SPCA.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,827 times
Owning a parrot is a very high maintenance job and requires a lot of time and attention. If not the bird becomes neurotic and self-destructive in many cases. There are some great books out there that can educate bird owners. The Guide to the Well Behaved Parrot book is a good start.

Introduction to Parrot Ownership - YouTube

What is sad about kept parrots is that most are owned by people who have never educated themselves on how to properly feed and take care of the bird. Parrots require a lot of attention and stimulation and human interaction.

Another sad aspect about parrots is that they live in 8 to 9 different homes due to people not realizing the amount of work it takes to keep a Parrot healthy and happy. So it is given away over and over again...this is very traumatic for the bird as well.

And yes it is not equipped to withstand that kind of cold.

Please call whoever you need to help this poor creature.

Blue and Gold Macaw Fact Sheet | Birdtricks.com

Old 11-14-2012, 09:19 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
while your initial reasons for wanting to cal are not entirely noble (but 100% understabndable lol) i WOULD call spca NOW, that bird is not equipt to withsand outside temps that cold, they are tropical species and while they can handle a chilly morning, anything under 60 "long term" would be dangerous and50 even for an hour or so is flat out disgracefull, many macaw owners in northern climates even keep thermostatically controled heated perches in their birds cages to keep them nice and warm, they can take a chill but the dampness on the air combined withthe chillWILL eventually lead to penumonia which in birds is a swift killer.

keeping thebird out during the day in california assuming they have a SAFE enclosure for it is not abuse, keeping it out in those temps however IS. parrots kept in outdoor aviarys in the anywhere north of south america need to be provided with a draft free HEATED shelter...
keeping it in the garage atnight is alo not enough unless the garage is heated. its not the cold that will realy "kill" the bird, but the cold lowers the immune system and the dampnes/moisture on the morning air combined with te cold WILL.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:23 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,011,351 times
I agree to call, birds are not meant to be in conditions below 60F. I have two conures and have had birds throughout the years and I try to keep my birds temperature in the high 60s low 70s. Even anything about 80-90 can be uncomfortable for them.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:45 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,173,758 times
If you can't get anywhere with the SPCA, call the local police department and file a noise complaint. Keep a journal of when the bird makes noise and for how long. Even record it if you can. That might at least get the bird moved inside, which isn't fixing all of the issues (still won't get attention), but at least it will be warmer.

I don't get why people keep birds (or any pets) when they have absolutely no desire in giving them any sort of attention or interacting with them.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:26 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
......birds are not meant to be in conditions below 60F......
Sorry, but that is absolutely incorrect.

Do you think birds in South America live in climates that never get below 60 F or above 80-90 F??? I will give you a hint, it does get cold in the Rain Forest during the winter months or very warm in the summer. Birds have lived in those temperatures for thousands (if not millions) of years.

I have known bird owners in Northern climates where snow accumulates on the ground who keep parrots outside in covered cages during winter months. I do put heat lamps on my animals when it gets down below 40 F and don't have any issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds