Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 12:51 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,469,988 times

Advertisements

I have a male cockatiel and he's lonely and I plan on getting another bird on Thursday. Are they agressive towards other male, common sense thinks they would be but I'm sure people don't always know what sex their birds are and have two males that get along. And if i get a female do they mate A LOT like am I going to be overwhelmed with birds? Thanks for any comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 05:51 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,389,878 times
Animals can tell if another animal is the same sex of them or not. 2 males may fight, hard to tell. If you get a female they will likely mate and have babies. You will need to attach a nest box (the size for a cockatiel). They can have anywhere from 1-4 or 5 chicks at a time. If your bird is tame you need to realize that bringing in another bird will likely change that to some degree. Your bird will bond with the other bird more than you. I used to raise peach-faced lovebirds and had a male that was very tame. I got a female and they had babies and he would even let me stick my hand in the cage to clean it. This was a bird that once would fly all around my room, sit on my hand and shoulder, let me pet it and give me kisses.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If your bird is tame you need to realize that bringing in another bird will likely change that to some degree. Your bird will bond with the other bird more than you.
Very true.....your bird may not want to be bothered with you at all anymore if you add another cockatiel.

Some other thoughts to throw out there:

Why does he appear lonely? How is his health? Sometimes these things can be diet-related. Is he getting enough "out of cage time"? Is he getting enough sleep? Too much sleep?

If you still decide to get another bird, consider a different species - maybe a budgie, a lovebird, a parrotlet? This way they can be friends, but not lovers . Separate cages, of course .

Also, consider a rescue.....soooo many people buy a bird and then decide they don't want it. Ask your Avian vet what birds are available for adoption (and whether you have one bird or two, you need an Avian vet if you do not have one already....very important for your bird's quality of life - a regular dog/cat vet won't do ).

Best of luck !

Old 10-17-2007, 06:39 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,469,988 times
thanks for the replies.. I'm actually interested in getting another bird not only because my bird seems to be lonely but becasue I cannot get him to bond with me.. My bird is a rescue bird I found him after hurricane Charlie when I lived in Florida. He was down at our courthouse where I worked downtown, starving just walking up to people. He almost got run over by the lawnmower so I scooped him up after he walked up to my shoe, put him in a box and left him under my desk for the rest of the work day lol.. Had him ever since.. I dunno if he was tramatized or what his last owners did to him but I have just tried whatever I can to get him to try and attach to me. No luck. Its been about 3 years now. He had a little furry house and all he does is snuggle it or sit inside of it and talk to his mirror which I know they tend to do.. Good I idea with the rescue I will check with my birds vet, and I'm going to try and get another male bird so there isn't breeding going on

Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
thanks for the replies.. I'm actually interested in getting another bird not only because my bird seems to be lonely but becasue I cannot get him to bond with me.. My bird is a rescue bird I found him after hurricane Charlie when I lived in Florida. He was down at our courthouse where I worked downtown, starving just walking up to people. He almost got run over by the lawnmower so I scooped him up after he walked up to my shoe, put him in a box and left him under my desk for the rest of the work day lol.. Had him ever since.. I dunno if he was tramatized or what his last owners did to him but I have just tried whatever I can to get him to try and attach to me. No luck. Its been about 3 years now. He had a little furry house and all he does is snuggle it or sit inside of it and talk to his mirror which I know they tend to do.. Good I idea with the rescue I will check with my birds vet, and I'm going to try and get another male bird so there isn't breeding going on
Ah.......3 years is a long time, has there been any improvement, or is he like he was 3 years ago?

I know for my African Grey, we've had her now for about 6 years (we adopted her when she was 3), and the first 2 years are a blur of rehab, and it really wasn't until years 2 and 3 that she started to "calm down". She's now a very different bird than when we adopted her, but we still have a long way to go......birds can be very slow to come around .

Birds do like company, so having another nearby might do the trick. My two don't love each other, but they're still buddies and like to talk to each other and will tolerate some out of cage physical proximity.

Budgies are sweet and nice, a budgie might go smoother than a same species (no matter the sex), but your vet will have some ideas for your bird, I'm sure.

(p.s.: have you tried the technique of bonding in an unfamilar room with your bird? It really worked for us )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds