U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:11 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,396,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
For the safety of the birds, wether it be cocatiels, budgerigars, love birds or finches, you can build a walk in aviary .
That's like me telling you, to start practicing law and be an attorney, you just go to law school and pass the bar exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 09:48 AM

115 posts, read 187,270 times
I haven't been able to check in for awhile...busy preparing to move at the beginning of July!

Anyway, glad to see some love for the ratties! As for birds, I'm still thinking finches, or maybe even canaries (which are a type of finch, I know). They would be for us to just watch and enjoy (and care for of course) but at this point I'm really not thinking in terms of a pet specifically for my son. He's really too young for any pet right now...it would pretty much be mine to care for, and he could just enjoy.

Dragonslayer, that's a cool aviary you built...and I like the idea, but I don't think that would work for my situation (moving into a rental and can't really accommodate one). Also, I think it would be better to start small as a beginner. That does bring me to a question...I know many people keep birds outdoors, but what kind of temperature ranges can finches handle? It can get extremely cold at night here, even in summer. And summer days can be very hot.

Another care question: I read somewhere that you need to give finches daily baths and handle them. I thought they weren't really for handling much? How do you deal with the bathing? I can't really commit to something that needs more than just feeding and interaction on a daily basis, so if that's the case I would hold off until I could do that. Rats are easy since they require only minimal care in terms of cleaning, etc. (cage cleaned once or twice a week). I really need easy right now

Glad to see this thread is still alive and kicking!

Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 AM

3,242 posts, read 6,089,330 times
I have never heard of anyone handling finches (with some rare exceptions). Finches do not need to be physically bathed/misted, just provide a simple birdbath and they will take care of themselves.

Old 06-20-2013, 04:35 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,396,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLA74 View Post
I read somewhere that you need to give finches daily baths and handle them. I thought they weren't really for handling much? How do you deal with the bathing? I can't really commit to something that needs more than just feeding and interaction on a daily basis, so if that's the case I would hold off until I could do that. Rats are easy since they require only minimal care in terms of cleaning, etc. (cage cleaned once or twice a week). I really need easy right now
Maybe you should stick to RATS.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,949,359 times
Quote:
I haven't been able to check in for awhile...busy preparing to move at the beginning of July!

Anyway, glad to see some love for the ratties! As for birds, I'm still thinking finches, or maybe even canaries (which are a type of finch, I know). They would be for us to just watch and enjoy (and care for of course) but at this point I'm really not thinking in terms of a pet specifically for my son. He's really too young for any pet right now...it would pretty much be mine to care for, and he could just enjoy.

Dragonslayer, that's a cool aviary you built...and I like the idea, but I don't think that would work for my situation (moving into a rental and can't really accommodate one). Also, I think it would be better to start small as a beginner. That does bring me to a question...I know many people keep birds outdoors, but what kind of temperature ranges can finches handle? It can get extremely cold at night here, even in summer. And summer days can be very hot.

Another care question: I read somewhere that you need to give finches daily baths and handle them. I thought they weren't really for handling much? How do you deal with the bathing? I can't really commit to something that needs more than just feeding and interaction on a daily basis, so if that's the case I would hold off until I could do that. Rats are easy since they require only minimal care in terms of cleaning, etc. (cage cleaned once or twice a week). I really need easy right now

Glad to see this thread is still alive and kicking!
You don't give them a bath, they take their own baths in a water dish. No big deal just expect water to get splashed outside the cage (small drops). Unless you hand raise the finches from hatching they will not imprint on you enough to be handled and even then they will fly around the room which can be hazardous to them. You cannot wing clip a finch like a parrot. Parrots use their beak as a climbing tool to get around a finch does not have that option.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:24 PM

115 posts, read 187,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
You don't give them a bath, they take their own baths in a water dish. No big deal just expect water to get splashed outside the cage (small drops). Unless you hand raise the finches from hatching they will not imprint on you enough to be handled and even then they will fly around the room which can be hazardous to them. You cannot wing clip a finch like a parrot. Parrots use their beak as a climbing tool to get around a finch does not have that option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I have never heard of anyone handling finches (with some rare exceptions). Finches do not need to be physically bathed/misted, just provide a simple birdbath and they will take care of themselves.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't remember the source, but the article mentioned something about letting them bathe themselves in a dish of water, putting them in a warm sunny place to dry, and then checking them over carefully for skin problems or lice. This is where the confusion came in because I imagine you would have to handle them to find these problems.

If anyone has website recommendations for good, reliable information on the care of finches, I would greatly appreciate it!

Old 06-21-2013, 03:52 PM

26,426 posts, read 62,665,397 times
The big hole in my ear says do not get a hookbill.

Ouch! It hurts like the dickens.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:35 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,949,359 times
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I don't remember the source, but the article mentioned something about letting them bathe themselves in a dish of water, putting them in a warm sunny place to dry, and then checking them over carefully for skin problems or lice. This is where the confusion came in because I imagine you would have to handle them to find these problems.

If anyone has website recommendations for good, reliable information on the care of finches, I would greatly appreciate it!
Remember anyone can make a website/video or write a book, no degree or license required. There is alot of misinformation out there. One of the better books on Finches and soft-billed birds in my collection is written by Henry Bates and Robert Busenbark. Not an inexpensive book and maybe more than you need.
One of the best Hook Bill Books I have is written by Rosemary Low (also not cheap).

Old 06-21-2013, 08:26 PM

3,242 posts, read 6,089,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The big hole in my ear says do not get a hookbill.

Ouch! It hurts like the dickens.
I've been bitten by everything from a small parakeet to a large macaw. Still have all of my body parts intact. Sure it hurts, it's all in how you react to prevent a serious injury.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:30 AM

16,487 posts, read 21,015,724 times
If you have really hot days and cold nights you do not want your bird outside at all. It can also make it suseptable to a preditor getting to it, such as a neighbors cat. You do not bathe finches everyday or really handle them unless needed. Maybe once a week put a shallow dish of water in the bottom of the cake and if they wish to bathe in it they will. I never bathed mine the whole time I had them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds