U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 07:46 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,066,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If you have really hot days and cold nights you do not want your bird outside at all. It can also make it suseptable to a preditor getting to it, such as a neighbors cat.
I live in Florida and my birds live on my back porch all year. It does get hot in the Summer and can get below freezing on some days in the winter. My birds come in the house when temps go below freezing. Most birds do just fine outside. The best advice is to leave them in a covered area, out of direct sun.

I have 2 house cats that have never attempted to bother my 2 Amazons. The key is to watch how the cats and the birds interact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 08:02 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,390,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post

I have 2 house cats that have never attempted to bother my 2 Amazons. The key is to watch how the cats and the birds interact.
Amazons? Are you kidding me!!! Cats can't even touch a confident quaker!

Saying that your cats never attempted to bother your 2 Amazons is like saying that your pet rabbit never attempt to bother your Labrador.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,066,976 times
My point is that my cats avoid my bird cage and have done so for at least 4 years. If an unknown person or animal got too close to the birds, their screams would scare them. I have raised birds for about 30 years so I have a little experience in the matter. I won't pretend that wild animals wouldn't possibly harm them. My birds are in an enclosed, screened-in porch in a very large cage with narrow bars.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:37 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,088,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
That's like me telling you, to start practicing law and be an attorney, you just go to law school and pass the bar exam.
What are you talking about? The aviary was very easy to build and only took a drill, a hand saw, a measuring tape and some screws, plus a staple gun for the wire. Nothing about it took any special skills or education. I just thought the op would like a walk in aviary.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If you have really hot days and cold nights you do not want your bird outside at all. It can also make it suseptable to a preditor getting to it, such as a neighbors cat. You do not bathe finches everyday or really handle them unless needed. Maybe once a week put a shallow dish of water in the bottom of the cake and if they wish to bathe in it they will. I never bathed mine the whole time I had them.
I got my cockatiel in 1994 when he was 2. I lived in the southern part of Humboldt county with temperature ranges a bit lower and higher than the OP's location, about 100 miles north. I worked for a man with macaws, amazons, eclectus and galahs. All his birds and my budgies, parrot and cockatiels were kept outdoors in flight cages all year long. We were at 1500 feet elevation and got snow in the winter with temperatures well below freezing and days in the summer well above 100. The cages were amongst the oak and firs keeping them shaded when it was hot. Neither of us encountered bird death to the heat or the cold. My 21 year old cocatiel and 19 year old parrot have been in flight cages ever since I got them and they are still in the same flight cages in my back yard. I have plywood roofs on the cages and plastic on the sides and removable panels on the front for when it is hot. My birds have tolerated temperatures as low as 15 and as high as 118, both times it was water that was crucial to their survival.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
My point is that my cats avoid my bird cage and have done so for at least 4 years. If an unknown person or animal got too close to the birds, their screams would scare them. I have raised birds for about 30 years so I have a little experience in the matter. I won't pretend that wild animals wouldn't possibly harm them. My birds are in an enclosed, screened-in porch in a very large cage with narrow bars.
The only predator that I ever had a problem with was snakes, my boss sometimes had a problem with bob cats. I have my parrot and a cockatiel outside in flight cages for 13 years now aat this location and have had no problems with the neighborhood cats. I had a racoon go after my parrot from the underside of his cage about 16 years ago. But in over 20 years of having outdoor birds, only twice with snakes and one racoon, but both times I lived way up in the hills above populated areas. I have two house cats and three dogs, my 14 parakeets live in half of my front porch in a built in aviary. The cats could entertain themselves from the porch or a window to the dining room by watching the parakeets, or they could harass my 8 cockatiels in the mobile aviary I have in the back breezeway. Not once have I seen my cats ever watch the birds or bother them and I built the budgie aviary over 2 years ago.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:12 PM

115 posts, read 186,795 times
Good to know that keeping the birds outside is a possibility....however for now they would have to be inside as our new property is unsuited to an outside aviary. Looks like we will be getting rats first after all as we will be giving a home to 3 belonging to a family moving out of the country and can't take them with them. I'll probably look into starting with the birds in the fall. Thanks everyone for the great information and for being so helpful!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
My birds have tolerated temperatures as low as 15 and as high as 118, both times it was water that was crucial to their survival.
Water at 15 degree?

Old 06-24-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLA74 View Post
Looks like we will be getting rats first!

Old 06-25-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timing2012 View Post
Water at 15 degree?
When it was 118 water was very important, when it dropped to 15 all the water lines froze except for the overflow from the tank that was filled by a spring. Every day I had to heat the water to above freezing to refill their water dishes. Water is crucial to life, even at 15 or at 118. I did not mean water being 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds