U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:34 AM

36,484 posts, read 43,754,934 times

Advertisements

This is the strangest thing I've ever seen. Do parrots and other birds bond with their humans to the point of being able to fly free and return?

Pet parrot flies along with lady on a scooter. [VIDEO]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM

3,302 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Wow!! Thanks for sharing that.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:52 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,147,783 times
That's pretty cool. I used to work at a Parrot Avairy and the owner had a big blue and gold who was injured long before he aquired him, so the bird could not really fly. But he did ride on the quad to check on the spring and gates.
It is not typical for a parrot to be this attached, but they can be, it's just really rare.
There are many videos on YouTube of Tui, an African Grey, he was a flighted parrot and he flew away never to be seen again. The grey was rather young and that may have been a factor. The parrot in the posted video could be several decades old.
And it's hard to tell, but it looks like it is a Conure.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:42 PM

3,302 posts, read 6,133,422 times
I am fairly certain it is a Sun Conure.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 PM

6,156 posts, read 4,148,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This is the strangest thing I've ever seen. Do parrots and other birds bond with their humans to the point of being able to fly free and return?
Seems a little extreme in this case, but sure.

And yes that's a Sun Conure.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:58 AM

16,482 posts, read 21,080,041 times
That is pretty neat, but I would worry about the birds safety. I would worry about predator birds swooping down on it.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:11 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,038,176 times
When I had my lilac crowned Amazon his wings were clipped. But I would "walk" him in the neighborhood by putting him on the ground/sidewalk and we'd walk our corner lot. He would follow me by my side faithfully. If I got one step ahead he would stand still, squalk and wait for me to back up to him and then we'd continue along. It was great for his nail maintenence and he got some exercise, and got out in nature where I could still look after his safety.
Sometimes the neighborhood kids would see us and trail along.
I felt like the pied-piper. I sure wish back then I had the foresight to take pictures. Fond memories.
I'm sure the bird in the video has imprinted with the women. Just like the story of the man and his cranes. Remember that story?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 AM

2,681 posts, read 6,264,574 times
Thumbs up Lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Pet parrot flies along with lady on a scooter. [VIDEO]
When I lived in Corvallis, Oregon, a long time ago, I saw a guy leaving his apt and watched as a pet
pigeon flew overhead and followed him to the grocery store. It perched on a telephone pole until he
came out them it followed him home. It was amazing...all I could do was clap. I went to his apt and
told him how cool I thought it was. Seems he found the fledgling pigeon on the ground and they just
totally bonded. I loved it...
Koale

Old 07-10-2013, 12:45 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,958,612 times
Letting any captive exotic bird fly free outdoors is foolish. I remember back in about 1986 there was a couple who would bring a collection of their parrots to Dana Point Harbor. They were all unclipped and uncaged. I had already been breeding and selling birds for years and knew this was a bad idea.
Well one afternoon sure enough the man let one of his blue and gold macaws fly. Almost immediately a couple of crows appeared and began dive bombing it. The macaw climbed higher and higher into the sky to escape and eventually disapeared above the cliffs over the harbor. Quite a loss.

Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 PM

158 posts, read 506,414 times
I'd never try that with any of our birds. We've been lucky. We once walked outside and our cockatiel was on Mr. Augusta's head, but Donald just stayed put. I did the same thing once with our lovebird.

We wouldn't chance it; too risky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or