Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

In our experience, bird lovers tend to go overboard. We do. Sometimes people have only one, but frequently more than one.

Right now we have two lesser sulfur cockatoos, ten finches, one cockatiel and eleven chickens. We have always had one bird and frequently three or more. Most friends who like birds have lots (too many?). One family (who took our cockatoo for us for a while) had 14 birds for a while. Is everyone like this, or do most of you have only one bird?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
I used to own a bird farm where we had thousands of parrots at a time but now down to 2 hand-fed Amazon parrots. I had raised everything from finches to large macaws.

Old 06-20-2012, 03:54 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,191,547 times
Hee-hee, since I first got "into" birds, I noticed the same thing...bird people go way overboard and they love them so much! Well, generally, maybe not if you are in the business. They also tend to live in warmer climates. I have to admit that if I lived down south, I'd have more than two birds. I did have a third, I adopted from PetSmart because she was unsellable, the others had pecked a hole in her head right down to the skull! I gave Sunny 6 months of love and she was happy when I found her in her cage.

No, being up here in the North and not having space for cages, I generally only have two at a time.

I have a parakeet and my African Senegal. Both adopted.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,303 times
I have a English Budgie named Stormy, who is 1 1/2 years old. I bought her from a breeder and she is great. She has bonded with me and is with me constantly. OK, I have spoiled her A LOT.
I had another parakeet that recently passed, he was 5 years old.

I'm an avid bird watcher outdoors and love feeding them and see who visits.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,169 times
Have 2 rescued birds, cockatoos. One is a self mutilator. She has been quite a trial but love her so much. Such a funny and needy bird. A rescued parakeet that landed on a roof my son was putting on a house. and then the pigeon- found on my way home from work and can't fly. I would have more birds if I lived in a mansion and could clone myself. I work with a person that has parents heavily into bird rescue and they have over 100 birds. I can't even begin to imagine.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:21 PM

342 posts, read 1,427,741 times
I have 9 right now. Started with 2 brother sun conures. Then I really wanted a caique. They are such fun birds that I wanted another one. I got two babies (one for a friend - who later backed out) so I kept them both. Rescued 3 from someone who was not taking care of his properly and then last summer took in one who the owners nl longer really wanted. It is alot of work - but as long as I can continue to feed them and house them all and spend time with them I will. There are too many birds in rescues and people giving their birds up for numerous reasons. And hard to find a truly good home - many bird flippers and people who want to take a pet bird and use it for a breeder. That isn't happening as much now that the price of birds has gone down. But my birds get the best food and variety of fruits, veggies, brread, eggs, nuts, seeds and pellets. Also they are kept in clean cages with fresh water and make sure they have toys and things to play with and assortment of perch's. It is a huge commitment - but the joy they bring is well worth it.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
well in terms of "in the house" birds i have a severe macaw and 2 linneolated parakeets, id love a pair of parrotlets too.

but i also have 7 guinea keets, 6 runner ducks and 2 saddleback pomeranina geese. i hope to add another goose to the picture in the next few months and at least a trio of muscovy ducks, and chickens, turkey and cortinux quail will be comming next year.
(but im also in the process of setting up a small farm sooo....lol)

and while i drool over the realy large macaws (id LOVE a greenwing!) i think Jack Jack my sevre is more than enough, not sure i could give enough time to 2 macaws lol

Old 09-02-2012, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 6,765 times
Default My birds kiwi and pepper

I have two birds. The first one is an Mexican red headed Amazon parrot. The next one Is an African grey parrot. I love them to death. They are so funny I love when they talked.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:23 AM

506 posts, read 1,160,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo11 View Post
I have two birds. The first one is an Mexican red headed Amazon parrot. The next one Is an African grey parrot. I love them to death. They are so funny I love when they talked.
If you HAVE TO choose one and give up the other, which one would you choose and why?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
what the heck kind of question is that?!

thats like asking someone which kid theyd give up?!
its also completly irrelevant to the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds