Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:43 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times

Advertisements

Right now I have a citron cockatoo and a dog. I'd like another [friendly!] bird, but at my age it wouldn't be fair to a young bird to bond and then have to go on to another home. The oldest bird I've heard/read about was a green Amazon that was still alive at the age of 116 years, or thereabout. That was documented years, he may have been older - but he also lived with the same family through several generations, so there was no traumatic change involved.

However, I've had a Goffin, a blue and gold, a pair of cockatiels, a spectacled Amazon, a red-lored Amazon, and a pair of mitred conures. That's just the birds, btw. Around 60 dogs over the years, a dozen or so cats, maybe a hundred chickens, a goat, a dozen rabbits, a hamster, several guinea pigs, a pair of geese, lots of fish... I think that's all. Oh, and a flock of finches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 04:16 PM

153 posts, read 620,641 times
mrs1885...love your feathered friends! I had peach faced love birds growing up...they were so sweet. Now I have a quaker. Seems we have the same taste in birdies!
She experiments a lot with her vocabulary right now with different inflections! My favorite is when she says "pretty bird" and rolls the r's!
off to find a pic to post!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
I have a peach faced love bird. We love her antics! She is so cuddly.

I would love to get a conure, they are so beautiful. And I've read such amazing things about them. My DH really wants to get a Macaw. It is a long-time dream of his.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I have a peach faced love bird. We love her antics! She is so cuddly.

I would love to get a conure, they are so beautiful. And I've read such amazing things about them. My DH really wants to get a Macaw. It is a long-time dream of his.
I really like the Severe Macaws. Conures are a trip! They definitely have no idea how small they are, they act as if they are 8 feet tall. Mine will stand down any of the dogs, any human, he's fearless.......except for gardening equipment.....gardening equipment is terrifying!

Tell your husband that parrots live forever (30, 40, 50, 75 years, depending on the species ) and they are a lot more work than a dog or a cat. They need more frequent, and more expensive, vet care than a dog or a cat. They get hormonal and bite at times during the year (and you can't spay/neuter then to lessen that like you can with a dog). Their cages and toys are expensive.

After all that, if he still wants one, go for it! Because they are more complicated, there are always plenty of them that are given up for adoption. We adopted that grey in the earlier photo when she was 3 years old.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:25 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Tell your husband that parrots live forever (30, 40, 50, 75 years, depending on the species ) and they are a lot more work than a dog or a cat. They need more frequent, and more expensive, vet care than a dog or a cat. They get hormonal and bite at times during the year (and you can't spay/neuter then to lessen that like you can with a dog). Their cages and toys are expensive.
That is good to know. We were actually talking about it after I made the other post. He had said that the only thing that made him hesitant in getting a Macaw is that they have a much more powerful bite than the smaller birds. We have young children and are thinking about having another. Our kids are taught to respect the bird, but sometimes kids will be kids. Our lovebird can put them in their place without taking a finger off. You know?

We don't know if we will get another bird anytime soon. It seems like we put so much time into our lovebird. And she is soooo jealous. I don't know how she would handle another bird to take any of her attention away. She belongs to the family, but has staked a claim on my husband. She was on his shoulder the other day and he gave me a hug. She looked at me for a mintue and then came over onto my shoulder. I thought she was coming over to hang out with me, but no.....she was giving him kisses behind my back! Like I said....JEALOUS! They are so funny!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 PM

8 posts, read 19,203 times
We are apartment dwellers not allowed cats/dogs, but our landlord likes birds, whew, since we have four wonderful "fids" : ) - a sun conure, a parrotlet, a footless parakeet and a vosmaeri eclectus. It's a laugh riot at our place. : )

Old 03-23-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
That is good to know. We were actually talking about it after I made the other post. He had said that the only thing that made him hesitant in getting a Macaw is that they have a much more powerful bite than the smaller birds. We have young children and are thinking about having another. Our kids are taught to respect the bird, but sometimes kids will be kids. Our lovebird can put them in their place without taking a finger off. You know?

We don't know if we will get another bird anytime soon. It seems like we put so much time into our lovebird. And she is soooo jealous. I don't know how she would handle another bird to take any of her attention away. She belongs to the family, but has staked a claim on my husband. She was on his shoulder the other day and he gave me a hug. She looked at me for a mintue and then came over onto my shoulder. I thought she was coming over to hang out with me, but no.....she was giving him kisses behind my back! Like I said....JEALOUS! They are so funny!
The Hahns Macaw is very small - conure size. The Severe is bigger, but not as big as what most people picture when they think "Macaw". The Blue & Gold Macaws are large, but gentle. Macaws in general are pretty mellow, at least as much as parrots can be mellow!

I'd be nervous with children and a Cockatoo or an Amazon, or even some Conures, but most Macaws are pretty easy going. Still, it is true - a bite from a large parrot is like a bite from a large dog .

Old 03-23-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlen View Post
We are apartment dwellers not allowed cats/dogs, but our landlord likes birds, whew, since we have four wonderful "fids" : ) - a sun conure, a parrotlet, a footless parakeet and a vosmaeri eclectus. It's a laugh riot at our place. : )
Love the parrotlets! So cute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds