Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 09:24 AM

155 posts, read 125,742 times

Advertisements

The first egg is fine.. the second one looks like a big green egg-sized poop ball.

The first egg looks fine, and could very well have a bird in there. The male mates with her several times a day, and does a great job of feeding her.

What is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 08:31 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
Maybe the egg is bad and not fertile. If you can get to egg you maybe can get a closer look.

https://sciencing.com/do-egg-found-s...e-8586314.html

Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzie1213 View Post
Maybe the egg is bad and not fertile. If you can get to egg you maybe can get a closer look.

https://sciencing.com/do-egg-found-s...e-8586314.html
Strangely.. when I looked in the box again after a couple of days, that egg was no longer there. I do not know what happened.

I suppose it impossible that it formed into a regular egg on its own. I do not know if the bird ejected it from the box. Or if it changed. I was not at liberty and did not have time to see if that egg made it to bottom of cage.

Good news, update: I do not know how many eggs Mommy Bird now has. She has resolved to sit on them, and only seems to come out in the mornings. Her male feeds her, and she can be seen sitting in there in the position of a flying airplane over her eggs.

If I get woke up one day by little tiny shrieks, I will know we have a hatch!

Should I take Mommy Bird and her box out at that point from the other birds, or leave her as-is?

Old 01-15-2019, 04:30 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,335,572 times
Leave the mother and her chicks where they are. Do not disturb them.

The "strange" egg could have been a shell-less egg which can happen if the mother is calcium deficient.

For now, don't worry about it and let mamma do her job.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:39 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,934 times
Does your bird has a calcium source such as a cuttle bone, they are sold at pet stores? My grandmother who had a flock of chickens we're given oyster shells ground up for calcium so eggs would have a good shell.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:25 PM

Someone told me she may have "ate " her shell-less egg. Makes sense.

One of the eggs cracked today. Nothing inside. Thin shell?

There are three calcium cakes and about 5 cuttlebone in the cage.

Took Daddy bird out, due to him almost about to "break her butt." They mated 6-10 times a day for weeks. First day out.. shell of an egg breaks in box. Nothing inside. Three normal-looking eggs super light. I don't know.

Mama seems to still be interested in her eggs but sits equal times on top of/outside her box, first full day of male not feeding her... because he is removed.. Put him back in ?

Old 01-22-2019, 06:18 AM

Put the male bird back. Doesn't matter how many times a day or week that they mate, the eggs will be fertile or they won't. Simple as that. Let nature run it's course and don't be so intrusive on your birds. Not a good idea to constantly look in the nest box as it is disruptive to them.

I have raised and hatched many birds of various sizes and breeds and I do have a little insight on the matter.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Put the male bird back. Doesn't matter how many times a day or week that they mate, the eggs will be fertile or they won't. Simple as that. Let nature run it's course and don't be so intrusive on your birds. Not a good idea to constantly look in the nest box as it is disruptive to them.

I have raised and hatched many birds of various sizes and breeds and I do have a little insight on the matter.
Never said you didn't...

Just found out three of my English Budgies are girls. Put male bird back in cage. Did this after realizing.. He feeds her, and she is used to it now.

Mom bird spends seemingly about half her time outside the box.. half in. More now that Daddy bird is back. Three eggs remain. I wonder if they are "hollow" like the one that is no more (and had a small amount of yellow liquid inside.. nothing more.)

I don't "intrude.." If i see Momma bird out her box, i peek in there. I see the three eggs now. Always a slightly different arrangement. They not in one centralized spot. Almost like she rejected one. Again, the "black egg" been not there. I do not know if they will hatch. Been about.. 15 years since I had a parakeet baby bird hatch and that bird laid a LOT of eggs before one hatched and she sat on it pretty well.. then same for baby. Maybe Mom is waiting for that. I do trust she has some idea what she doing. Sometimes though.. I wonder.

I don't know how to get pics on here.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:56 AM

I do wish you the best. I am not trying to be difficult.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
I do wish you the best. I am not trying to be difficult.
No no.. i don't think you are.

I have wanted to post pics. Birdie was sitting back on her eggs this morning.

I wonder.. how often should she sit on them? And thi k she ate the "black egg?" It looked disgusting, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds