U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM

587 posts, read 59,527 times

Advertisements

I have a pair of breeding lovebirds that came as a surprise. About a month ago the female laid four eggs. I didn't know whether or not the eggs were even fertile, but apparently they were. I've been able to peer inside the nest and see at least two tiny, pink chicks, and at least one unhatched egg.

The father appears to be passing regurgitated food to the mother, and I think the mother is then passing the food to the chicks. Is this normal? I don't want to watch them too closely, as I'm afraid I might disturb them and it might be harmful for the babies.

Here is a pic that I did manage to take the other day, when both parents were away from the nest:

I'll appreciate any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 02:22 PM

1,284 posts, read 902,010 times
I googled and found this:

Caring for Newborn Lovebirds

I have no personal experience, as we have only one male lovie.

Do you have an avian vet?

Old 05-16-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I googled and found this:

Caring for Newborn Lovebirds

I have no personal experience, as we have only one male lovie.

Do you have an avian vet?
Thanks! I don't have an avian vet, but the people at the exotic bird store where I got my birds are very knowledgeable. I'm planning to give them a call.

Friends have told me to just leave the birds alone, that the parents will know what to do. But then I hear about people "hand raising" birds and I wonder if it's a necessity to take the babies away from the mother bird? I just couldn't do that.

Old 05-16-2019, 04:41 PM

3,312 posts, read 6,141,531 times
Unless the mother abandons the chicks, you should let her raise the chicks at least until they have pin feathers before attempting to hand-feed them yourself. The chicks will mature much faster with their parent's care. Not a bad idea to keep an eye on them occasionally but don't become to invasive.

I raised lovebirds for several years, but not recently.

Old 05-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Unless the mother abandons the chicks, you should let her raise the chicks at least until they have pin feathers before attempting to hand-feed them yourself. The chicks will mature much faster with their parent's care. Not a bad idea to keep an eye on them occasionally but don't become to invasive.

I raised lovebirds for several years, but not recently.
Thanks! Momma bird seems to be doing a good job, so I'm just leaving her alone. I did call up the exotic bird store and they told me to give the birds scrambled egg with crushed egg shells in it, for the extra calcium they'll need. So I put a small bowl inside the cage for them.

Poppa bird is a green, peach-face lovebird, and momma bird is turquoise blue with a white head that has just a touch of grey on it. She also has the same kind of white rims around her eyes that the masked variety of lovebirds have. I'm thinking that maybe momma bird is a hybrid. Any idea what color the babies might be when they get their feathers?

Here are the parents:

Old 05-16-2019, 07:38 PM

3,312 posts, read 6,141,531 times
Very beautiful couple.

Love bird chicks are a good starting point when learning how to had feed baby parrots. The process is simple, I recommend the pet store show you the process, get a good pre-mixed hand feeding formula and a 5-10 cc had feeding syringe to get started.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Very beautiful couple.

Love bird chicks are a good starting point when learning how to had feed baby parrots. The process is simple, I recommend the pet store show you the process, get a good pre-mixed hand feeding formula and a 5-10 cc had feeding syringe to get started.
Sounds interesting! I think I'll leave it to the lovebird parents, though. They seem to be very attentive, and I have zero experience with raising birds. It really is kind of exciting though, now that I'm no longer surprised that my birds are having babies! LOL

Thanks for all your helpful advice!

Old 05-17-2019, 10:59 AM

1,284 posts, read 902,010 times
Momma and Poppa are beautiful; I'll bet the chicks will be as well. I hope you'll post pics of them if you can.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
Momma and Poppa are beautiful; I'll bet the chicks will be as well. I hope you'll post pics of them if you can.
I promise to post pics soon. Turns out I've got three baby lovebirds, and it looks like their feathers are going to be blue!

I don't know what I'm going to do. I think it would break my heart to just give them away or sell them. I've got to make plans on how I'm going to keep them. From on-line reading, I gather I've got at least a couple of months before they can leave their parents?

I'm also going to take the hanging, hollow coconut out of the parents' cage when the babies are weaned, in hopes that the parents won't try laying any more eggs if they don't have a place to lay them.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:01 PM

Here are the babies!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds