U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 PM

21,157 posts, read 25,980,705 times
Default Quaker parrot laying many eggs.

My G/F has about a 6 YO Quaker Parrot (never around a male that I am aware of); this female has laid about eight (8) eggs in the space of 3 months. Being that the eggs are sterile; they are removed whereupon the bird drops another.

What concerns me is this bird has never laid more than three (3) eggs in one year previously.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,492,940 times
Yes, the females can lay eggs. You don't really want them too because it's very taxing on their bodies and they can become egg-bound (an egg gets stuck).

There's usually a hormonal factor in effect, or an environmental one (stress, for example).

It sounds like it's time for a thorough check-up by your avian vet .

As an example, I have a female 9 year old African Grey who has never laid an egg (since I've had her, anyway, and I've had her since she was 3). So not all females lay eggs.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:06 AM

5,037 posts, read 3,552,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
My G/F has about a 6 YO Quaker Parrot (never around a male that I am aware of); this female has laid about eight (8) eggs in the space of 3 months. Being that the eggs are sterile; they are removed whereupon the bird drops another.

What concerns me is this bird has never laid more than three (3) eggs in one year previously.
My first suggestion is not to remove the eggs. This stimulates her to continue laying to replace the lost eggs. Let her lay her clutch and sit on them. After several weeks she will tire of this activity, especially when no babies begin hatching, and you can safely remove and dispose of the infertile eggs then.

My second suggestion is to reduce the amount of light she gets in her cage. Is there a full-spectrum type of lighting in the room such as a fluorescent fixture? Or large windows that let in sunlight during the longest and hottest part of the day? If so, this could be a major contributor to the egg laying. Try keeping a shade over the windows or keeping the shade only partially open, to cut back on full light exposure. By limiting light exposure to less than 10 hours a day you will replicate the shortening of days which comes with autumn. If you are able, move her around to other lit spots during the day, away from her cage (nest), so she finds other things to do and is not so focused all day long on her hormonal urges.

In many cases these are enough to break the egg laying cycle.

In the meanwhile, avoid stroking her beak, feet, back and behind, since these are mating signals. Also, do not allow her to "nest" in dark spots like behind pillows, in shirts, in drawers, bookcases, in closets etc. Lastly, change the inside of the cage around; change toys, perches, swap food and water bowls, etc. These things are subliminal messages that it is not a "safe" nest.

An average clutch size for Quakers is four to eight eggs and a second clutch is usually started when the first is about 4 weeks old. There are health issues which can arise from egg laying , even when that laying is not considered excessive.

Loss of calcium and other much needed nutrients can lead to osteoporosis, or brittle bones. Another problem is starvation. Even though she is eating, if the food is not high enough in protein and fat and other needed nutrients, she can effectively starve to death. Her metabolism is on high when she is producing eggs. This is a very intricate body function that takes a lot of energy and nutrients to manufacture eggs.

Another potentially dangerous aspect of egg laying, in addition to the depletion of nutrition, is the increased chance of egg-binding. The hen may not be able to pass an egg for various reasons. Low humidity, being too young or having laid too many eggs causing scar tissue to form in the egg tract, or being too weak from laying too many eggs in too short a time are just a few. This is a life- threatening problem and if you do not know what to look for, or what to do to help, your hen could die before you even realize there is a problem. Egg binding is an extreme example of what could happen, but the dangers are very real and need to be considered seriously.

Please do consider supplementing your hen's diet with calcium at the very least.

Last edited by CheyDee; 07-10-2008 at 03:20 AM..

Old 03-01-2013, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,208 times
Default My Egg Laying Quaker

My 12 year old Quaker has laid about 7 eggs in a 3-4 week period. This last one was on the smaller side but sturdy. I am suplementing her diet with calcium and bought protein drops to put on her food. I have limited her light changed her area with new toys and moved her cage to another room. Also her stool has been darker. Just a darker green with white too. I just noticed in the last 2 days she seems to be regurgitating her food back into her dish. Other than that she looks and acts totally healthy. Just wonder if she will be ok?

Old 03-01-2013, 06:03 PM

2,134 posts, read 1,907,967 times
Mother birds regurgitate when feeding their young. Sounds like she is mimicking that type of behavior.

Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,208 times
I kind of figured that but wanted to make sure someone else thought the same. Thank you!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:32 PM

6,068 posts, read 8,679,086 times
just be sure to keep her calcuim up...
keep "light lenght" short and keep her on a bed time schedual (cover her if you need to to cut back on day length, when days get more than 10 hours they tend to increase egg production)
and be sure to remove any toys she likes to rub sexually against (happy huts and soft toy toys ect tend to increase laying behaviour)

its not "dangerous" for her to lay assuming shes healthy an on a good diet...
but laying does take some out of them and if calcium levels drop it risks egg binding.

in terms fo the head bobbing/food..youve got a very homronal young parrot whos regurgitating. regurtitating s a sign of affection (think of it like flirting) as well as feedin babies, if her food dish shiney by any chance?

Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM

901 posts, read 689,143 times
I agree with the leave the eggs. Once her clutch is complete she should stop laying. There used to be artificial (plastic) eggs you could buy but I only remember them being canary size. With those you could switch the real eggs for the fakes. Getting egg bound kills alot of chronic layers.
Do like others suggested and provide plenty of calcium (grit, cuttlebone, mineral block).

Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM

158 posts, read 290,676 times
As a last resort, your girlfriend's avian vet should be able to offer Lupron injections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds