Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:39 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Tell me about that I have 6 and they run me about 100.00 a month in feed.
Yep. Right now we have four parakeets, six zebra finches and four society finches. Two cages for the 'keets, two for the zebra finches, one for the others. Two kinds of feed, millet, toys, treats, greens, replacement perches, corn cob for the base.....it adds up and requires a high level of devotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 01:54 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,103,223 times
When I had my Amazon, I didn't like to use ammonia, et al cleaners around him (he was raised on a stand, no cage at all). I would mix vinegar and water in a spray bottle (about equal parts of each) and that worked like a charm - even on dried up parrot poo...plus it is natural. Just another suggestion for cleaning
I also second what most everyone here has stated...these birds can be pricey, you have to be prepared for that. Also, as stated, they can be loud...do you live in a house or apartment?
They are a delight if they do take to you though.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:07 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,474,571 times
This is not a little finch you will stick in a cage and look at from time to time. These parrots require a lot of time and attention if you want them to be good pets and healthy. The fact that he is plucking his feathers is not good. They do that when unhappy and bored and sometimes once they start that behavior they do not stop. He needs a lot of attention, a very good diet, lots of toys to plays with and you trying to spend time with him and train him. You really should get him a new cage despite how expensive they are. I am not trying to be rude but it sounds like you are getting this bird and very used cage for practically nothing and that is why you are jumping on it. The fact that it is this cheap should tell you something right there. Obviously whoever owns this bird has not had the time for it for awhile. You may be getting in over your head, although this poor bird does need someone that cares about him and will care for him properly, and hopefully that is you.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:27 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
As far as candles go, I burn them in other rooms, but not near the bird. Others may be more cautious about this, but as I said previously with good ventilation and in moderation I personally do not worry.

Feather plucking is a problem, but it sounds like you have done your research and are willing to put time into this. Before I bought my bird, I heard SO much about how much work, how much money, etc. etc. But I am so glad I got her, she is healthy happy & an amazing flier! Getting a "rescue bird" will be more work, but if you are willing to work & spend the money go for it! All of us were new to this at one point, you will learn quickly.

Old 03-16-2009, 02:37 PM

DNaomi stated it right - 'rescue birds' ARE more work. My Amazon was a rescue and had plucked himself bald out of boredom and neglect. He was very thin as well. It took a month of work for him to accept his new surroundings...but the pay-off was worth it for me. You must have PATIENCE...don't expect the bird to be like a dog eager to please and be with you.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:21 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
DNaomi stated it right - 'rescue birds' ARE more work. My Amazon was a rescue and had plucked himself bald out of boredom and neglect. He was very thin as well. It took a month of work for him to accept his new surroundings...but the pay-off was worth it for me. You must have PATIENCE...don't expect the bird to be like a dog eager to please and be with you.
Agreed - I too have one rescue parrot who was pretty damaged goods. Actually, she was a mess mentally and physically. It took over six months before she'd set foot out of her cage. Six months of patience, six months of reading signals, giving her space and time, never rushing, never forcing. A long, long haul that required an awful lot of time and attention to make it happen.

Boredom is parrots is a problem - no two ways about it.

When you're dealing with parrots.... forget anything you've ever learned about cats, dogs, horses, any sort of domesticated species. A) They're not domesticated and b) they're a law unto themselves.

Their nutritional requirements are unique and to feed them properly you will have to cook for them really. Yes, there are balanced "complete" foods available, but again, boredom is a factor. Parrots in the wild spend large amounts of time searching for food. To feed a captive parrot just small cubes of sameness all the time is ... well, just pretty boring.

There are some really, really good books out there on the different companion species, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be at Petco. I could be wrong, but I suspect if you picked up something akin to "A Beginners Guide to Parrots"... they'll be serious lapses especially when it comes to behaviour.

Cleaning products - as mentioned, a biggie - especially for cleaning anything the parrot uses. There are special parrot-safe cleaners out there (is it F-10? I can't remember the name.) I recommend using them or a wholly natural solution for minor cleaning. Commercially available cleaners are not parrot-safe.

It's quite amazing how something weighing in at.. what a pound or so?, can take over your house and your life...

Old 03-16-2009, 05:13 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,259 times
Thank you so much for the advice.Thats why i came on here.I wanted to get the advice of people who have these animals and can really explain everything.I brought them both home today.Hopefully all goes well.The grey actually WANTS to come out of the cage.When he first came in he would scream if you put your hand in there.I do own my house so im not really too concerned with noise levels.Whats in Febreze that is toxic?Such a shame because i LOVEE that stuff.Im well aware of all the attention they need.I rarely go out so i have the time.I guess i will go out this week and look at cages.Of course i was happy with the thought of a free cage that needed some elbow grease but i dont want to risk the birds' help either.Im really excited i have them.Since i was a teenager i was all about the african grey.I really appreciate the responses!

Old 03-16-2009, 05:20 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Thank you so much for the advice.Thats why i came on here.I wanted to get the advice of people who have these animals and can really explain everything.I brought them both home today.Hopefully all goes well.The grey actually WANTS to come out of the cage.When he first came in he would scream if you put your hand in there.I do own my house so im not really too concerned with noise levels.Whats in Febreze that is toxic?Such a shame because i LOVEE that stuff.Im well aware of all the attention they need.I rarely go out so i have the time.I guess i will go out this week and look at cages.Of course i was happy with the thought of a free cage that needed some elbow grease but i dont want to risk the birds' help either.Im really excited i have them.Since i was a teenager i was all about the african grey.I really appreciate the responses!
Congrats on bringing him home!

I think Febreeze had zinc in it and that is toxic, although I heard they took the zinc out, although I also heard that it's STILL a bad idea. Again, like windex, I use it in the house, but not right next to the bird, and with windows open.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
T.Im really excited i have them.!
Excellent as you're about to embark on quite an adventure.

One thing I personally would like to stress and that is some training. This has NOTHING to do with dominance/submission or anything like that, no. It has to do with you being able to - for example - get a parrot out of potential dangerous situation (i.e. parrot about to do something or go somewhere he/she shouldn't). I'm talking about teaching your parrot things like "Step up" so that when you hold out your forearm and ask the parrot to step up, the parrot does. For example, the parrot crash-lands in an unfamiliar spot. Parrot will be wary or frightened, so if you have your "step-up" in order, going to the rescue is simple and calming for the parrot.

Like all training, but it's so very, very important with parrots, only positive reinforcement should ever be used.

All this in good time, obviously - they need to settle and you all need to learn about one another. But when the time comes, it is something that I feel helps make parrot-ownership slightly less stressful. (But only slightly)

There are some good, easy to use and understand books out there about parrot behaviour and training. I cannot urge you strongly enough to get some and read them cover to cover.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
Excellent as you're about to embark on quite an adventure.

One thing I personally would like to stress and that is some training. This has NOTHING to do with dominance/submission or anything like that, no. It has to do with you being able to - for example - get a parrot out of potential dangerous situation (i.e. parrot about to do something or go somewhere he/she shouldn't). I'm talking about teaching your parrot things like "Step up" so that when you hold out your forearm and ask the parrot to step up, the parrot does. For example, the parrot crash-lands in an unfamiliar spot. Parrot will be wary or frightened, so if you have your "step-up" in order, going to the rescue is simple and calming for the parrot.

Like all training, but it's so very, very important with parrots, only positive reinforcement should ever be used.

All this in good time, obviously - they need to settle and you all need to learn about one another. But when the time comes, it is something that I feel helps make parrot-ownership slightly less stressful. (But only slightly)

There are some good, easy to use and understand books out there about parrot behaviour and training. I cannot urge you strongly enough to get some and read them cover to cover.
Agreed also
I utilized a sturdy stick at first with my Amazon until I was certain he wouldn't take a chunk from my arm, using the 'step-up' command while doing so. After a week or two of doing this, I offered my arm and gave the command and he had no troubles (and my arm was chunk-free )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds