U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:31 AM

2,574 posts, read 1,983,024 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the interesting experiences u posted.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:50 AM

6,413 posts, read 9,103,507 times
I guess I will throw in my 2. I was fortunate to get a job at an aviary here in Humboldt county in 1994. My job was to clean the aviary cages, feed the parrots, check the next boxes for eggs, collect said eggs, prepare sprouts and cut up fruit and vegetables, monitor the incubator and feed the baby parrots. My boss had 64 to 70 parrots during the five years I worked for him. He had Blue and Golds, Scarlet macaws, Eclectus, Yellow headed Amazons, double yellow headed Amazons, Hyacinths and Galahs being his only cockatoo. I started off with budgerigars and cockatiels and adopted a blue crowned conure from my boss. This aviary was at close to 1500 feet in the hills and all the cages were long flights from 16 to 20 feet long and 4 feet wide by 4 to 6 feet tall. Part was covered with a roof and sides and the rest was open to the air, sun, rain and snow. We did not get a lot of snow, maybe a few inches a few times in the winter, but the parrots did fine and were quite prolific. The picture is of me and two baby hyacinths I helped raise one summer. I was there when they hatched out while my boss was on vacation for a month. He missed their first five weeks. I still have my conure and a cockatiel and they are in flights in the back yard. They can hear and see the wild birds and have never seemed bored with their environment. I found the Amazons to be the best tempered of all of the parrots in the aviary, they were the least finicky, they are a nice medium sized parrot and they were the best talkers. They are also fairly affordable. At the time when I last worked at the aviary in 1999, an Amazon went for $250 to $400, the scarlet and blue and golds went for $750 and the Hyacinth macaws went for $5000 to $7000 for a baby. I really truly enjoyed that job.
Attached Thumbnails
The PARROT thread...Your knowledge,experience & ideas on raising  parrots...-me-hyacinths.jpg  

Old 02-19-2010, 06:02 AM

Nice post & info,thanx...

Wow,7k for a baby parrot...

Interesting comments about the...character of the birds...

Can u tell us ,a parrot couple how many babies produces per year,on average ?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Nice post & info,thanx...

Wow,7k for a baby parrot...

Interesting comments about the...character of the birds...

Can u tell us ,a parrot couple how many babies produces per year,on average ?
My boss would take the first clutch of eggs the pair produced in the spring to incubate, let them raise a clutch of 2 or 3 and if the weather held out well he could get a 3rd clutch that he would also incubate and hand raise. A pair of Amazons could produce between 6 and 12 babies in a season. Those raised by the parents were sold for breeding stock to private parties and even a few zoos. Those raised by hand were for the pet trade. Budgerigars or parakeets are extremely easy to keep and breed, they come in a multitude of colors and patterns and are amazing in a large flock type aviary. In 1996 I adopted all the parakeets from an aviary that was going out of business for $250 including runs, cages, nest boxes etc. I only went to the aviary to buy an extra male for the 5 I already had. I bought 65 budgerigars. I put them all in a huge outdoor aviary with roll down sides. I had practically all the colors of the rainbow. They are rapid learners when they are the only bird and learn to talk as well as African Greys. They only cost between $20 and $60 for a young bird and live about 12 years give or take, about the same as a dog. They do not demand as much care or attention as a large parrot. The budgerigar is a parrot too. The genetics of the colors in the budgerigar is amazing to play with in breeding them.

Budgerigar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

budgerigar - Google Search

Old 02-19-2010, 11:40 AM

I checked for those budgerigers,we call them just "little parrots " in greek...

I feel sorry for animals which live little time,that's why I want parrots who can live ...50-80(?) years...
Does ..."interracial " mating occur between parrots..?
I don't know the species well,but ,for example,do Amazons mate with African greys & so on ..?

Last edited by harrycrat; 02-19-2010 at 11:53 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
I checked for those budgerigers,we call them just "little parrots " in greek...

I feel sorry for animals which live little time,that's why I want parrots who can live ...50-80(?) years...
Does ..."interracial " mating occur between parrots..?
I don't know the species well,but ,for example,do Amazons mate with African greys & so on ..?
There is cross breeding between macaws and also between some of the conures like between the patagonian and the blue crowned which are very similar. There are many types of amazons and they all cross breed. The budgie and the cockatiel both show albinos and lutinos which are yellow albinos. There is also one other large parakeet that has different colors, but I do not remember its name off hand. I do not recall any cross breeding between Australian parrots with the African or the South American parrots.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:26 AM

OK,got it...

Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,881,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
There is also one other large parakeet that has different colors, but I do not remember its name off hand. I do not recall any cross breeding between Australian parrots with the African or the South American parrots.
Ring-necked? (native to India I believe)

While there is inter-species cross breeding (although not in the wild, that's an entirely man-made thing to produce hybrids), there is never cross-species breed.

All "parrots" are of the same genus, different species. I believe one of the determining factors as to whether or not a bird is a parrot is the configuration of the toes.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:02 AM

Just as an idea of the moment,there could be artificial cross species breeding,with artificial insemination,or in vitro fertilisation with microsurgery & so on...
Any attempt ?

Old 02-20-2010, 11:29 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,881,299 times
Quote:
Just as an idea of the moment,there could be artificial cross species breeding,with artificial insemination,or in vitro fertilisation with microsurgery & so on...
Any attempt ?
No. I believe the result will always be sterile eggs (i.e. not that AI is possible with birds, but if it were...) if you could even get the egg fertilized in the first place - which I'm pretty sure Mother Nature's ensured that it cannot.

To put into a biological perspective... it would be like trying to cross a dog with a fox. It's a biological impossibility because they're of two different genus... (what's the plural of genus? Geni? Genuses? I could go look it up, but I'm far too lazy. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or