Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 11:05 AM

61 posts, read 93,657 times

Advertisements

Hello, looking for some advice and comments regarding long car trip = 19 hours - with Senegal parrot. What type of cage have you used; any advice on keeping bird calm and any issues getting bird into hotels with no pet policy. I can't stay in pet friendly hotels due to allergies and am hoping since my parrot is small I can get him into hotel we normally stay. How often do you take your parrot out of cage? Will be travelling NY to Fla in Jan and this will be the first time with the parrot. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Lots of types of cages out there so just would like to see what has worked for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 11:21 AM

672 posts, read 789,104 times
I used my regular airline cat carrier (with a perch installed in the wire door) to take our bird, also a Senegal, on an 8 hour trip, he pretty much destroyed the plastic. I found a "Midwest Poquito Avian Hotel" used on Amazon for $50, decked it out with toys, that works well, he sits high up and can look out the truck window, and basically comments on everything. It is big enough for him to be in for a while, not big enough for a bigger bird like an Amazon, but for him, it is fine.

As far as a hotel, sorry, no suggestions.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:01 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
when I moved from CT to south west TN I had my macaw, I used a wire dog crate with a perch and covered in a heavy blanket, I added bachs rescue remedy to his water (herbal calmant) he did fine.
I cant help you on the no pets hotel part as we stayed in a motel 6 and they didn't give too monkeys about the 2 dogs, 3 cats 2 parrotlets and a macaw being loaded into the room lol...

mabe call around and see if "caged pets" would be an exception, or when checking into a hotel ask for a room neer an emergency exit (makes sneakiness a little easier when you don't have to haul through the lobby!)

Old 10-29-2014, 03:19 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,574,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock52 View Post
Hello, looking for some advice and comments regarding long car trip = 19 hours - with Senegal parrot. What type of cage have you used; any advice on keeping bird calm and any issues getting bird into hotels with no pet policy. I can't stay in pet friendly hotels due to allergies and am hoping since my parrot is small I can get him into hotel we normally stay. How often do you take your parrot out of cage? Will be travelling NY to Fla in Jan and this will be the first time with the parrot. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Lots of types of cages out there so just would like to see what has worked for others.

Today is your lucky day! I have plenty of experience on this.

Any cage would do. Make sure he has his favorite food, including seeds, etc. No need to take him out during the trip.

If you rent a motel like Super8 or Motel 6, where they give you the key and you just go into your own room from backdoor, or the room's door is directly from the parking lot meaning not having to go through the lobby where the clerk is, you can bring in a lion and no one would know. Just make sure they don't see you bring in a cage with a bird in it into your room. In other words, no one need to know you got a bird. Don't ask, don't tell.

Once you're inside your hotel room, close the window blinds and let your bird loose to do whatever he wants in the hotel, with supervision of course.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:49 PM

61 posts, read 93,657 times
Good evening all,
just wanted to post update on our long car trip with my Senegal; the bird did fine - at first though because of road bumps he clung to the side of the cage rather than try to sit on his perch. One mistake we made was having him clipped and nails cut before we left - his nails were too short for him to get a good grip on his perch so I actually wound up letting him out of the cage so he rode on top while I sat in the back next to him to be sure he was safe enough. Seemed to enjoy looking out the window. Also wound up feeding him during the ride; luckily I put a sheet on the back seat of my car so all seeds fell on that rather than all over my car. (must admit he shared a McDonalds hamburger - well, actually ate almost the whole thing) We also bought him a small fabric carrier so when we stopped we were able to put him in that and carried him with us while we ate at McDonalds. HE was quiet and just looked out at us from the mesh part of the carrier; no one knew the diff. All in all I was more nervous than he was! Now if I can only get him used to his cage at our permanent stop; he doesn't seem to want to eat out of his food cup on his perch; but we'll manage. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We managed to stay at a Comfort Inn that doesn't allow pets, but did allow us our little bird. They never had that request before and they were very accommodating to our needs. THANK you Comfort Inn. Hope these insights help others who may consider traveling with their birds.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:59 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,574,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hancock52 View Post
We managed to stay at a Comfort Inn that doesn't allow pets, but did allow us our little bird. They never had that request before and they were very accommodating to our needs. THANK you Comfort Inn. Hope these insights help others who may consider traveling with their birds.
Why you even tell them? You just bring it into your room. No one knows he was there.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:40 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times
My Parrot loves car rides. I have a homemade wood box with a wire screen back, and screen front on hinges (drops down) to open. There is a perch attached to the wood side.
Most people I know who have parrots, their parrots love to go for rides and see new things.

Seems like yours is also enjoying the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds